iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody have any suggestions for this thing?

Started by Dan_Shade, September 28, 2006, 05:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

mike_van

Dan, is that one of those Hiab cranes? Mounts behind the cab?
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

badpenny

I can see that mounted on the front of a 2-wheel trailer, pulled by a tractor, powered by tractor hydraulics, and used as a forwarding trailer to get logs from woods to landing; or behind the cab of a F-350/450/550 or similar sized truck for log recovery/transport etc. Or on a tandem axle trailer pulled by a pickup truck for log transport. Or in my yard awaiting any of the aforementioned mounting possibilities. :) :D ;D
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

amberwood

I will pick it up Christmas day..might be some excess baggage charges thought...

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

beenthere

Can't think of a thing to do with dat. 
But I see it's not in the "for sale" section.  ;D

Your plans are? ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

getoverit

I think it would look nice mounted on the front of a trailer and used to haul logs from wherever.  Sorta the "poor man's" version of one of them blue ox trailers ;)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Ga_Boy

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is hazardus waste and you need to dispose of it post hast..................

As I am a certified to use explosives and a hazardous waste handler I will be down this afthernoon and "dispose" of the dangerous material.  As we are friends I will perform this valuable service for you at no charge........

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

tcsmpsi

"Anybody have any suggestions for this thing?"

Dan, is that a 'loaded question'?   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Modat22

Hmm That would look great in my future would be log yard  ;D

Any chance on getting you to post some side views, measurements, cylinder sizes etc?? ???
remember man that thy are dust.

Dan_Shade

i'll get some measurements as I get that far.

it's big, one of the larger knucklebooms i've seen, but i'm sure there are ones that are bigger.

the cylinders probably all need repacked, and one needs rechromed, and the lines more than likely need replaced.  it also needs a pump and motor.

short term, I want to mount it to a small heavy duty trailer with some killer out riggers and a long tongue.  then down the road, maybe mounted to a nice trailer.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Engineer

I was gonna say, that's a nice small knuckleboom crane.  Hard to tell just how big it is from the picture.  As far as big ones go - I had a concrete septic tank delivered to a job, the truck has a knuckleboom on it that the driver claimed could pick or set 17 tons at full extension, about 40 feet.  *That's* a big knuckleboom.  It was  Hiab, I think.  Yours is probably a 5 or 6 ton crane.

Ron Wenrich

I would classify the knucklebooms we have to be some of the "larger" ones.  Our smallest ones have a ladder that goes to the top of the truck and there is a seat.  Our largest ones have their own air conditioned cabs and a seperate power unit. 

The real big ones can pick up 32'-40' logs and load them onto a truck.  The smaller ones can load long logs, just not as big. 

When we had smaller loaders, we had a 32" x 32' red oak that we rolled off a truck, since we couldn't lift it off.  Log weight was 5-6 tons.  To load, it took 2 loaders to load the log or you could load one end at a time.

The size of loader you have will be an interesting project, and will probably serve your purposes.  What are you going to use for a grapple?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dan_Shade

A grapple is way down the road.  at this poing chains and rigging is going to have to suffice.  and to be truthful, it may take me a while to get that far....

the vertical part on this one is about 8 feet tall, it took up the entire width of the trailer it was on.  i'm not sure how far it will extend.  it would be really nice if it would be large enough to set trusses and that sort of thing, but it may not be without and extension jib on it.

Thank You Sponsors!