iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to free a rusted trailer hitch ??

Started by chainsaw_louie, September 27, 2006, 10:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

Hi FF,

I have a trailer hitch on the back of my car that has rusted up. I want to remove the insert from receiver and install a smaller ball,  but I cant get the square shaft out of the receiver.  The problem is of course, that its too close to the bumper to give it a good whack with a sledge.  I have been hitting it with PB Blaster for a couple of days.  Any suggestions - somebody else must have dealt with this. 

How about a chain around a tree and then around the ball?  I thought I'd ask first before tearing the hitch off!!

Or, Bang it inwards and hope that this breaks the rust and it can be coaxed out.

Thanks,

Tim

CHARLIE

Try some Rust Reaper. There's a link here on the forum where you can order it. Do a search on Rust Reaper and you'll read a lot of good things about it from members. It seems to penetrate through the rust. It make take several applications depending on how thick the rust is.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

scsmith42

Spray it with a good penetrating oil (like you've done), and run a chain from the ball to a stationary object (such as a tree).  Have someone get into the vehicle, put it in drive and put tension on the chain (steady pressure - do not go overboard and try to force it out - you could end up bending something).  Tap all around on the sides of the receiver tube while the tension is on the insert.  It should slide out.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don_Papenburg

Heat will help with the tention and a bit of pounding with the hammer.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

KGNC

Good luck! I had a toyota truck a few years ago with the same problem. I tryed everything that has been suggested so far and never did get it loose. I even hooked to the FEL on the tractor so I could try and rock it up and down as I pulled, all I did was drag the truck around the drive. And yes I did take the pin out.  ;D
It was still on the truck when I sold it. But you can usually change the ball without taking it out of the receiver.
Now i try to keep a little grease coating the inside of the receiver.

ksu_chainsaw

I had a dakota that had the same problem on it.  I did everything short of cutting it out    ;D
I forgot to put the pin back in and was towing a hay trailer into town one day.  As I turned the corner, unknown to me, the reciever came out and the trailer went straight on down the road, running into the side of a business  :-[

I didnt realize that until i got to school, and saw the trailer wasnt on there anymore, oops.

but, I have no idea how to get one out thats rusted in, except for what they have told you already.

Charles

Modat22

Try heat and rust reaper, if that doesn't work your gonna have to split the nut holding the ball on.
remember man that thy are dust.

Murf

Our plow trucks get that way every year.  >:(

First off soak it with Rust Reaper. Use another penetrating oil if you don't have any RR or can't wait for it to arrive.

A few well placed smacks with a sledge in all four directions, side-to-side, and up & down, then put a chain between the ball and something solid, like another hitch, then use the sledge to hit the tight chain, the sudden jerks usually work it free.

Be sure to clean out the tube as well as possible when it does come out, and then coat the inside with grease, and wire wheel off the receiver too. Some fresh paint helps afterwards.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

moosehunter

I have had to cut a few hitches out with a torch.

A little advise..................

TAKE THE HITCH OUT WHEN YOU ARE NOT USING IT!!

That way it doesn't rust in there ;D
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

submarinesailor

If you  are driving in the DC traffic, taking it out may not be a good idea.  In fact, I keep my 4" drop hitch turned upside down to insure they hit it before they get to the truck. ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Murf

Bruce, a pintle hook works even better.

In fact if you paint it a bright colour it even reduces tail-gating!!  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

leweee

You will have to admitt a "rusted in reciever" is great anti-thieft solution. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Modat22

Ahh I made a fatal flaw when I read the post.

If you have access to an air chisel install the flat hammer attachment, spray the reciever with penetrating oil and use the chisel to bang round the square reciever, then use the chisel on the hitch itself. The vibration and impact sometimes breaks the rust particals down into smaller pieces and might loosen the hitch.

I've done that on a couple trucks over the years and has worked every time. You might go thru a couple cans of penetrating oil though.
remember man that thy are dust.

Furby

My folks had a van like that..... they sold it with the hitch still rusted in place.
Tried everything but RR, as we didn't know about it at the time.
Thought we were gonna rip the tree out of the ground yanking on it.

I now have a jeep with one rusted in place, bought it that way and it'll stay that way!

JimBuis

Try the following in order:
1] Rustreaper, repeated treatments over several days followed by brute force
2] Quarter stick of dynamite
3] Buy a new vehicle and remove the hitch when not in use

DISCLAIMER:  Results not guaranteed.  Check with OSHA or other safety agencies before trying number 2.

REQUEST:  Take lots of pictures cuz I wanna see this. ;D

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Thank You Sponsors!