iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forwarder trailer

Started by jayzee, September 27, 2006, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayzee

I am out here in Oregon where nobody has used those trailers with the self loader  that you pull behind a heavy pickup truck ( like the blue ox ) . Do they work okay ? What with the high fuel prices , self loader log trucks get mighty expensive, especially when you only have partial loads . I have a small sawmill and am contacted quite often by folks that want to remove a tree or two .....or three.  Are there any used ones available ?

OneWithWood

JZ,
I have one of the JMS units Bailey sells.  If you go for one get the largest arm you can.  Nothing spoils the fun more than going to pick up that nice 28" hardwood log and not be able to lift it onto the trailer!
Contact the various dealers and ask for the names and phone numbers of a few of their customers.  Call the folks and see what they think after they have had the unit for awhile.
I am glad I purchased a forwarding trailer.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodmills1

I have a blue ox lil ox and a metavic woods forwarding trailer.  I really like both of them.  Having the blue ox has really raised the level of my sawmill business, and the metavic/kioti combo from payeur has been indespensible both in the woods and around the mill.

I tried for a used over the road trailer and just had no luck so bought new.  I was lucky enought to buy the kioti/metavic used at a great bargin.  the blue ox grapple is very good, havent failed to pick up any log so far.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

blueox

Jayzee...got a big ox in Oregon..email me and I will give you his number info@blueoxequipment.com

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Left Coast Chris

Jayzee,  I do hoby sawing and have the need to haul a log or two from time to time so I got a used propane tank hauler with a hydraulic spreader bar to pic the logs up.  Just back over the logs, drop the spreader bar, chain it up, lift, put the cross bars under the log, lower then chain and bind and drive.  The capacity is about 7000lbs but enough for a log or two.  I posted pics before but I love the thing so much I will show it again: 
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Clarky

I have just purchased a Blue Ox Log Loader 5th wheel set up with a dual axle 20-25GVWR trailer. It has a 2100XL loader. Trailer also has a dump bed with 12k winch.  The problem I am having with the loader is that I don't feel as though I have the actual lift capacity of what the company specs were stated to be. Does anyone have any idea of what I should check to resolve this issue. I bought the unit for my own use to haul logs for my home's. Have no clue as to where I should start. The best I can do to calculate the lift capacity is lift a log and calculate that through the log weight estimator on line.

OneWithWood

The company specs are most likely for lifting a log right up against the trailer.  As you move away form the trailer and extend the boom the amount of weight that can be lifted drops off dramatically.  Use the winch to pull the logs right up to the trailer if need be.  If the loader still has trouble lifting the log, lift one end on the trailer and then lift the other end up.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

barbender

What is the stated lift capacity, and what kind and how large of logs are you trying to lift?
Too many irons in the fire

Clarky

The lift capacity for the 2100XL is I believe 3700lbs? Through the calculator I should be able to lift a black locust log 35"x35" 10' long should be in the ball park. That's a pretty big log. I have been trying to get some 24"x 9' long and I'm having trouble even close to the side. Before buying this unit I spoke with Metavic of Payeur Alex to be exact. He was telling me the lift capacity of the 1400 is 3000lbs highest capacity on the market? Huh, maybe in production today. I know the Exploader by Ox was supposed to be 6K. Alex advised me he his loader would pick up just about any log I could throw @ him. Seemed way over confident. I've been trying to get to the wood shows to see the loaders in action but I've been asking him for 2 years to send me a video of the grapple in action and he couldn't do it so I bought the Ox. I had my buddy tell me to put a pressure gauge on the unit to see what I'm producing from the pump. Thought I would post a question to see if anyone had any tips or knew anything I should be looking for. Thx.

barbender

Hmm...it seem's like you should be able to pick those, you may have to check your pressures. I have no familiarity with these loaders, so I can't give much advice. But, if you can get the factory specs, you will have something to go off of. What you don't want is to set your relief pressure too high, and allow the loader to lift more than it was designed for- read DANGER!! Don't just go changing adjustments willy-nilly ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Ed_K

Or putting larger piston's on it.
Ed K

Clarky

Thanks guy's! I really appreciate the input. I'm still trying to find the spec sheet put out by Blue Ox that I had saved somewhere. I will keep you posted. Thx again!!

thechknhwk

The bigger of wallenstein's 2 trailers shows the lift capacity at 1200lbs on the grapple.  It seems inadequate to me, but wondering if anyone had thoughts on it?

woodmills1

my little ox would move that no problem, maybe you have an issue somewhere.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Clarky

The grapple is 50-54" I would assume this thing would pick up just about anything.Just not familiar with these units or hydraulics. From what I have researched over the year's people always say it amazes them the lift capacity Pistons aren't leaking, hold's weight without compressing. Changed hydraulic fluid out of tank, put new, switched filter 2x's. Not sure where to look next. Having a hard time finding someone here in my area to work on the hydraulics. I also read an article stating if lift cap is 3700 you have to deduct the boom and grapple from that #. Doesn't make much sense, you would think that # would already be deducted from the lift cap spec's.

lopet

Quote from: Clarky on March 29, 2015, 12:29:22 PM
I had my buddy tell me to put a pressure gauge on the unit to see what I'm producing from the pump.

That would be a good start for trouble shooting.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

sshier

Our patu had problems also there was an adjustable relief valve on the pump that must have worked loose reset I t to I believe 2200 psi from the pump and it was lifting great

Clarky

Thank you, gonna go toy with it today!

78NHTFY

...didn't have time to stop but saw there's a Blue Ox 5th wheel for sale at a small equipment dealer, just south of Claremont,NH on road to Newport NH.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Thank You Sponsors!