iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My newest Norwood upgrade

Started by chet, September 26, 2006, 08:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

No more draggin' dirt inta da cut with dirty logs.  8)

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

chet

It's a secret 'till some body figures it out.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

pasbuild

I know what he did, he put half of the parts on backwards ;D :D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

chet

You would say dat.  :-\

No, not backwards parts ::), just a bunch of extree ones on da udder side. Dat way I can cut backwards if I want to.   :)

Furby

Ah, extra ones! Not bad!
Mine was set up backwards when I got it.
Couldn't dog a log and keep it tight through a couple cuts so I switched everything around.
Works good this way, but I guess you get the best of both worlds eh eh  ;D

chet

No problems doggin' at all.  :)   And I know I've saved myself a whole bunch of dull bands cuttin' this dirty stuff.   ;)

Furby

I simply don't get the logs dirty in the first place! smiley_big_grin3

rbarshaw

Did you set it up so after the first cut you are always cutting into a cut face on the log? That's the way I setup my mill to start with, just seems to make sense to me to put the blade into clean wood. Helps to make the blade last alot longer. It's my biggest gripe about most comercial mills.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

chet

rbarshaw,
dat is exactly what I did.

Furby,
These aren't my logs, and if mine git dirty I just power wash them. This job I'm on now is about 10mbf of large pine that had all been drug down a gravel road.  ::) They are at a camp property in da boonies with no way to wash them.  :-\

Bibbyman

Have you actually counted the number of times you'd be sawing into a "clean" vs. "barky" face over doing it the other way around?

I've thought about it but it looks to me like this...

Either way you got to saw dirty the first face at least once if not a couple of times to open the first face and get a flitch or two.

Then it's a probable chance you're going to have to saw dirt on the opening face of the second, third and forth face.  And also likely to saw some dirt making flitches on those faces.

Once the log is squared down, both processes are sawing clean faces.

So it looks to me like you start out equal on the first face and maybe gain a cut or two on the second, third and forth face and then end up equal again for the majority of the log.

I've seen a few mills that are designed that way.  The only disadvantage I could note is that the sawdust exiting the log has a longer distance to travel before it entered and exited the shield – thus it looked like more fell out on the mill and the ground under it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

chet

Bibby,
It has cut down on my saw entering dirty wood big time.   ;)  I cut my dirty bark flitches when I am about ready for a new blade.
The only disadvantage I have seen so far, is I have to keep my adjustable blade guide wide open. So there is no pushing a blade past its limits when dull.

isawlogs

I dont understand what it is you did .. but then again there is alot here I dont understand after reading it for the fisrt time  ::)

What I do when I get to a place dat has a whole bunch of dirty logs is one of two things ...
    1 -  Turn around and go home ... = lots less frustrating .

2 -  make that one cut to open the log on the cleanest face , maybe get me another cut or two on that side then turn the log by hand and cut into the fresh cut a few more times then use my turner and turn the log till I get to cut into the open face , time consumming but way less blade changing .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

The only disadvantage I've recognized by having the log dogged on the "input" side of the mill is that there is only one point of contact, in the middle of the log, that keeps the log from spinning or pulling away from the squaring dogs.

When I used my LT40, the blade's pressure of cutting was against the squaring dogs and the amount of pressure that was needed to clamp the log was almost nil.  I liked that best.

To get similar security with the log being dogged on the input side of the mill would require 2 or maybe 3 clamps.  It would be cumbersome and  aggravating, I'm sure.

There is a trade-off with both designs.

I do like the fact that the input guide is close to and controlling entrance into the log when the log is clamped on the input side.  The moveable guide is just catching the blade as it exits and I think this allows the guides to provide more accurate control.  Especially when using roller guides.

My only debarker is a hand-tool, like an axe.  I seldom have to cut mud or deep dirt.  I refuse the logs until they are cleaned.  I also don't have the rock problem that many of you do.  My problem is generally sand or muck.  A water hose is the only other feasible way of ridding the logs of this.

Murf

Being far from an expert here, does anyone use one of those chainsaw powerhead mounted debarkers?

They seem pretty fiddly, butI 've often wondered why they don't mount something similar on the mill head itself, a couple of passes to clear the bark, mud, etc., and then cut till you're back in junk. No?  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

isawlogs

I have one , Log Wizard, I do use it , but only if there is one or two logs that need cleaning , then I only pass it on the side the blade enteres the log .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

Tom, That is pretty much the problem I had with mine set up the other way. I did have two clamps so there were two points of contact, but the clamps would slip just a touch and the log wouldn't stay square.
Have the blade push/pull towards the uprights was much more stable and I am able to keep it square more easily.

chet

Over 5MBF on this dirty wood project, and no problems with log movement yet.  :)

Corley5

Nice logs even if they are a bit dirty :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

timcosby

no movement because those are big logs put a 10"er in there and watch her dance. i had set my dogs and clamps up backwards at first.... log went everywhere couldn't keep it tied down.... switch em around to the correct way and no more problems.

chet

These were real nice logs and lots of um, even if they were extremely dirty. There is no way I would have messed with um otherwise.  ;)  I didn't change anything from my normal way of dogging, just added the other feature to deal with stuff like this.  :)

tomboysawyer

With a Norwood, it seems to me you could just pick your head up off the track and set it back down to saw backward if you wanted this setup instead of putting the clean cut to the back supports.

I never trusted my Norwood back supports. They could splay out too easy, so I usually squared to the dog side anyway and had a clean cut.

chet

I added these home built back supports, there is now one on each side of every bunk.

Picking up and flipping the head is way more than I want ta tackle. My way is much easier.

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Chet on September 30, 2006, 08:33:24 PM
Picking up and flipping the head is way more than I want ta tackle. My way is much easier.

I understand. Picking my sawhead up with my skid steer was pretty easy - but not everyone has one of those.

I figure it'd be easier to have less stuff to trip over on the mill - but I do like your back stops. I had also built a small saw shed. If switching things around was important, you could just put a block and tackle in from that...

For anyone else who wants to run the dog/backstops the other way anyway.

chet

I keep my own logs pretty clean. But if I need too I got the power washer also. So there is no need ta flip the head for my own part. The need  ta use the other side of the bed arose out of the fact that I'm getting some jobs with dirty logs that don't have facilities that I can power wash. I've found it much faster ta saw this way for those logs, than to spend the time stripping bark.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!