iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nice stand of bald cypress. What to offer?

Started by DWM II, September 26, 2006, 07:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWM II

I am going to look  at 25-30 standing bald cypress that have become a nusance for the land owner. I dont think he is going to be giving them away, so I wanted to get some ideas on what to offer for the trees. They are an average of 18" and approx. 30-40 to first limb, according to him. I dont fell so I dont have the option of swapping out for the labor. Also was currios about the the market here in south Louisiana for these trees since the two big storms had possibly flooded the market? Not real sure that has happened but I would speculate that prices would be down compared to a year or so ago. Also I want the trees for my own use to build a timber frame home, not for resale.

Thanks, Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

Ron Wenrich

One way of tackling the problem is to figure out how much the lumber would cost you if you bought if from a mill.  Then, subtract your logging and milling costs.  Don't forget to give yourself something for your trouble.  That will give you a general idea of worth.  The rest is haggling.

Chances are that your markets are up, due to all the need for lumber in your area.  A guy with 25-30 trees probably doesn't have a very good chance of selling them to a mill.  The volume is too low.  So, that makes the value lower. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DanG

You might try asking your State Forestry Dept.  They probably have data on current log prices.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

BW_Williams

I wouldn't make any offer until I looked at the trees, most customers over guess the diameter and length by at least a factor of 2!  Not to be a downer, but that's just been my luck :)  Good luck, BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

isawlogs

Only a factor of two   ???   I have the firm beleif that some of my customers use a metric tape to do the mesuring , than think in inches with the result .  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DWM II

Yeah, this is fun isnt it. I passed by the location this morning on my way to work and the trees are at least twice as small as described. Maybe in the 16'' range at the base going to 10'' or so 12' up. I will stop tomorrow to look at them with the customer but I dont believe that they will be worth much ::). I'll give a bti more info tomorrow.

thanks, Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: isawlogs on September 27, 2006, 01:25:20 PM
  Only a factor of two   ???   I have the firm beleif that some of my customers use a metric tape to do the mesuring , than think in inches with the result .  ::)

I tend to believe that some use the wrong side of the diameter tape, so all measurements are off by a factor of 3.14 ;D

:D :D :D :D :D  funny guy
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DWM II

I went and looked at'em yesterday. They were 16'' at the base. The good news is I was able to talk him into letting them grow. They were some fine "yard" trees but he would have had an expensive time dropping them and cleaning them up. He wasnt interested in selling them just for the money, he didnt need it, he just didnt want to waste the trees. He had rented a small stump grinder to cut the knees for mowing the lawn so I think his trouble of ruining his lawnmower may be in check.
thanksl, Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

Corley5

Quote from: LA. SAWYER on September 29, 2006, 03:45:56 PM
He had rented a small stump grinder to cut the knees for mowing the lawn

I wouldn't think that would be good for the trees ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DWM II

I guess well have to see, If they dont make, it there might be some decent logs available? 8)I gave him card just in case.
Stewardship Counts!

Thank You Sponsors!