iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

There are no coincidences...

Started by Paschale, September 25, 2006, 11:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

So let me tell you about my day. The alarm went off, and it felt far too early. I rolled over, hit the snooze, and stole a little more sleep before crawling out of bed. After showering and shaving in a state more groggy than usual, I was off for a rehearsal in Kalamazoo.

It was about twenty minutes into my ride that I happened to glance at the car radio and saw the time. I was on the road an hour earlier than I needed to be. I could have still been in bed, dozing away, but for some reason, when I set the alarm last night, I bumped the time forward by one hour. DanG.

There was no reason to turn back, so I decided I'd make the best of it and find a place to sit down and enjoy breakfast and the paper in Kalamazoo. I turned off onto my normal exit and saw a restaurant on the right hand side of the road. I sort of cringed, wondering if this was the best K'zoo had to offer me this morning. I've always steered clear of this place, since it never appealed to me.  I drove into a parking spot, but just decided I didn't want to eat at this place called Russ's, so I went down the street to another breakfast place. 

I opened the door, and was immediately engulfed in cigarette smoke. I don't mind cigarette smoke in a bar at night, but first thing in the morning at a breakfast place is not a place I want to be smoky. When you eat at one of these smoky breakfast joints, your clothes smell like that for the rest of the day. Strike out at Colonial Kitchen--Russ' here I come.  I headed back to the first place.

When I got there, I plopped down at a booth behind a couple roughly the age of my parents. They were some of the younger people in the restaurant--it's that kind of restaurant.  After I ordered, I was lost in the paper, minding my own business. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the couple in the booth in front of me get up as if they were about to leave. I found this odd, since they had just been served their food a moment before. I saw the diminutive woman get behind her very tall husband, and wrap her arms around his waist, tugging on him. I suddenly realized what was going on: the man was choking.

I asked the woman if she needed help, and she frantically said yes. I jumped out of my seat, rushed over to the guy and got behind him, and did the Heimlich maneuver on him a couple of times. I lifted him right up off the floor, and thankfully, it worked.

It was a very bizarre scene. After it was done, it was really as if nothing had happened. He thanked me, and I said no problem. I think some people in the restaurant didn't even have a clue as to what happened, though the people next to me told me that I was that guy's guardian angel this morning. It was all rather awkward and uncomfortable--they went back to their booth, and calmly finished their breakfast. I went back to reading my paper, as if nothing happened. The couple and I had a few minor exchanges: they thanked me again, and I made some comment about being grateful that my Boy Scout training came right to mind, but that was the extent of it.

As they got up to leave, the man thanked me again, grabbed my check, and bought my breakfast. I told him he didn't have to do that, but he insisted, and I'd imagine I'd do the same thing. The waitress told me I saved the guy's life, and the manager thanked me, but it all felt surreal to me.

Looking around the restaurant, I realized I was the biggest guy there, besides the guy who I did the Heimlich on. Most of the men were old and frail, and may not have been strong enough to do the Heimlich on the guy. The manager would have been, but he must have been back in the kitchen when this all happened. I reflected on these things throughout the day, and realized that I was supposed to be there.

I messed up my alarm, was on the road an hour early, stopped once at Russ' and turned away, and then went back because of a smoky restaurant up the road--a Russ' I've driven by hundreds of times over the past five or six years and never once thought of stopping. All in all, I came to the conclusion that it was no coincidence that I was there this morning.

I get goosebumps thinking about it.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

CHARLIE

Yep, I agree with you. You were definitely supposed to be there that morning for that purpose. Those kind of experiences leave you with a good feeling.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

I want to say something, but I don't know what. :-\

Way to go, hero.  8)

sawguy21

That is a wonderful ending to a really strange story. Good on ya Paschale 8) 8) 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill

Congrats . . .

I try to remember things like the heimlich, mouth to mouth and cpr - but never had to use them - whewww . Good that you were there and did it right - I certainly woulda bought your breakfast/lunch/dinner at any restaurant !

DanG

WOW!  That's really something! 8) 8)

If I ever get a chance to meet ya, I'll buy your breakfast all over again! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Of course, Paschale, you have to understand that breakfast ain't breakfast without grits. So when DanG buys you breakfast.......you'll get grits......I bet........ ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Ya DanG tootin', Charlie!  I've also noticed that I've never had to Heimlich anybody for eatin' grits. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paschale

:D :D :D :D :D

Or if you did...it'd make a mess of the place, wouldn't it?

:D :D

DanG

:D :D :D

Yep!  Ballistic Grits just ain't a pretty sight!  It ain't all that great when ya get a little too much pepper on yer eggs and ya sneeze with a mouthful of grits, either. :o :D :D

beenthere

Prolly don wanna let that ballistic residue set too long in the chinny-chin hair either, before gettin out the curry comb.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Way to go Dan!

Great way to start the morning reading good news such as this. :)

Patty

Aside from the mental picture Beenthere and DanG just left with us. ::)     I am real proud to know you Dan. You did good. And yes, you were meant to be there at that moment. Life is strange isn't it.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

scsmith42

Nice job Dan.  How does it feel to have been an instrument of the Almighty?  Definitely makes one think...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dewwood

Dan you were definitely meant to be there.  Strange how some people just look and pass on by or do nothing and others(thank goodness) react without thinking and turn a bad situation into a great thing.  Good on ya Dan.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

tcsmpsi

What had he choked on?  (obviously, not grits)

I noticed in your post before, your notable appreciation of the World.

World has a thing about that and tends to bring opportunity for one to appreciate themselves, as well. 

Thanks for sharing the moment, Dan. 

michael
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

UNCLEBUCK

You were suppose to be there Paschale ! Remember the charles lindbergh movie with jimmy stewart when he needed a small mirror and a lady in the crowd came out of nowhere after driving all night to get there and she had the perfect mirror, the mirror saved his life . DanG  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

getoverit

Having saved one's life gives purpose to your day. It's a good thing to have a purpose, even though the day may happen to have started off as a mistake. God can and does use anybody at any time to fulfill his purpose.

I feel blessed just to know you !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Shotgun

8)

Dan, this is the first thread that I read today. What a rewarding thread it is.  Thanks from northern Michigan for being there to assist that fellow.  Congratulations for your willingness to assist.  And thanks for sharing it with us. 

Did ya have your Sparty hat on?

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Paschale

Quote from: Shotgun on September 26, 2006, 09:10:36 AM

Did ya have your Sparty hat on?

Norm

Nah...just my trusty Sparty undies...(I never leave home without 'em!)   ;)

:D

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.  I didn't do anything any of the rest of you wouldn't have done in the same situation. 

And to answer you Scott:  it's pretty DanG humbling to be used by the Almighty like that. 

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ducknutt

amazing...way to step up to the plate and help out a fellow man....
If God is your co-pilot, You're sitting in the wrong seat

Kevin_H.

Wow, gives ya chills...

Not only did ya save that mans life, but think about all the family members that would have been effected by his passing if you had not been there.

It could be that you were there to save him because he, himself has someone to save.

Ok now I am freaking myself out...

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

thecfarm

I would pat you on the back too,but I can't reach you because every one else is.Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tcsmpsi

Yesterday, I commented in the "First Wood Projects" post about my wood project(s) and had mentioned a bit about my swine creatures and passing notation of the beginnings of crossbred Pineywood Rooters.   They were crossed with Pouland China.
Made a hearty, lean hog.

Now, I had not thought of that, much less spoken of it in many, many years.

Yesterday evening when I got to the house, after checking a few things around the place, went in got my coffee and was going through the mail, talking to the family.  Just getting dusk good when the dogs (all both of them) started barking.  Wasn't a 'humans approaching' bark, so I took my leisure in checking out their notice.

Walked out the front, and right down there in the drive, was about a 150-170 lb rooter (like a razorback), taking his leisure and paying no mind to the dogs at all. 

Now, knowing Life is not coincidental, I had to accept  what that was all about. 

What may be surprising, is that, ultimately, it was about Hope. 

Overall, Humanity hasn't been showing too much promise lately, and I reckon the World figured I needed a memo reminding me that there is always another hand in things and not to give up totally on 'em yet. 

Brought a smile to my face, anyhow. 

Life is meant to be good.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

babylogger

things happen for a reason! you should feel really good! you saved someones life!!!! doesnt happen everyday! i for one applaud your quick thinking. you were in the right place at the right time! wow what a nice thing to hear after looking at all the crap going on around us! you should be smiling and be happy!
love logger

Thank You Sponsors!