iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Young College Student looking for summer work!!

Started by Straubies, January 10, 2003, 08:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straubies

Hello,  First off i want to say sorry to Jeff about the other post i wrote, he knows what i mean. And thanks to all you guys for all the interesting and helpful information found on this forum keep it up!!
 Now, this summer i will be graduating with a Associate degree in Forest Technician, from Pennsylvania College of Technology. And am looking for a job this summer to get "my feet wet" in the business. I live in Pa, but am willing to move. Does anyone know of any one looking for entry level experience or an opening somewhere?? If you do please let me know
And feel free to give me your opinion, on what i should do??
Thanks again
Straubies
Git er DONE!!

Jeff

No apologies to me. I knew what you meant. I,m just lookin for a chance to pick on somebody. ;D Kevin aint been around and he is my favorite victim. But I'll take a Straubie in a pinch. :)

Straubie, Keep checking here. When we hear of positions we post them. I will keep you in mind. I have a contact with the DNR that sends that stuff to me when they hear about it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Hey I got an idea! Maybe you could go help Noble for room and board. That way he could go out and see a sunset. Thats about as entry level as you can get. But you would learn about milkin, sawin, chainsawin, and senility. ;) :D

Ron Wenrich

So, what are your looking for?  Do you want woods work or mill work?  Logging, forestry, grading, sawing?

I hired a guy from there a number years back, and he was pretty decent as a sawyer, just needed experience.  Jack Pivirotto still a teacher?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

Thanks ever so much for the referral.  I hope you aren't overestimating my ability to guide a newcomer to the workforce.  I'm not just sure how to teach senility at all as senning just always came natural to me.

Straubies,
A summer job in a large milling operation would probably give you important insights concerning any aspect of forestry.
Good luck in your work experience.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Scott

Your local Allegheny National Forest may be putting on summer hires. Check with them at their Supervisor's Office in Warren, PA or their web site. Also check with the USDA-Forest Service web site for opportunities if you are willing to move for summer employment.
~Ron

sawyerkirk

From what I know of Noble, I'd like to take a summer and work with him and his whole operation myself!!
So far as lumber industry related work, you might give Preston Germain of Germain Lumber Co.a call, and see if he might be of any assistace, they are out of Philladelphia I believe.if you need anumber, let me know, I can dig it up

Bro. Noble

Work?  If I can get anyone here to help my son,  I'm gone.  He went to ellynoise with his Ma and sister this weekend  so I did what chores I had to this morning,  fixed me some dinner and was just getting ready to take a nap.  Couple of teenagers started pecking on the door wanted to know if I could pull them out of a ditch.  They were looking for a place along Bryant creek to gig  and dived off over a steep bank into a slough.  They were in muck up to the hood ornament and couldn't believe their 4WD S-10 wouldn't back right back up that bank.

I'm gonna start milking in the middle of the afternoon and go to a wild game supper and singing tonight at a little country church up Bryant.  I'll do all the stuff I was supposed to do today tomorrow afternoon just after my nap.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Straubies

Ron,      right now i haven't pinpointed it yet. Probably anything that i can get a job in. And Pivi is still a teacher. I take it you went to school with him??
Thanks guys, keep em coming
Git er DONE!!

Ron Wenrich

I even went to Pivi's wedding.  Quite the spectacular Italian/Polish wedding.  The only time I ever did the Polka, and only had a 2 day hangover.   :D

Summertime forestry work is probably hard to come by, unless you have some cruising experience.  As mentioned, you can try the Feds.  I did one summer with BLM in Oregon.

Logging work might be found if you can find a mill that has their own crews.  Independent loggers usually don't take on summertime help, unless they're related.  If you can cut, then there is a chance.  I did another summertime stint as a chokersetter in Oregon.  

Practically any mill will hire someone, if they don't mind working.  You might want to try Mallory over in Emporium.  Large mill, probably has a large turnover.  There is also Pope & Talbot.

You can get a list of sawmills from the state.  The list probably isn't current, but will give you an idea of what's around.  Ask at the District Office.  They might have some leads as well.

For $30, you can get the Pennsylvania Marketing Bulletin off of the HLMA of PA.  You could post an ad if you get the subrscription.  

You could also post an ad in the Northern Logger.

This may seem a little far flung, but you might consider Asplund.  They do a lot of utility forestry.  

Environmental Consultants, Inc  (ECI) out of Philly does utility forestry work.  They have some short term spots where they use forestry/biology types to do vegetation studies on utility lines.  I did some work for them during a dry spell about 8-9 years ago.  Pay wasn't great, but I did get to travel around the state.  They wanted me to stay on in Rochester, NY as a permanent employee.  Decent folks to work with.

Another company that might take on summertime work is Osmose Wood Preservatives.  They do utility pole inspections.  I worked with them in Iowa and NY decades ago.  They are used to tremendous turnover.  2 years used to be considered seniority.  They work north in the summer, south in the winter. Great if you like to travel and have no ties.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ohsoloco

Straubies, there is a large sawmill not too far from you in Mill Hall (right outside of Lock Haven) by the name of Pine Creek Lumber.  It is the sawmill for Bingaman and Son Lumber.  Their website says there are no current openings, but that they are always accepting applications.  You can find all of their into at  www.bingamanlumber.com

Wish you the best of luck.  Too bad I discovered my interest in the lumber and woodworking fields my senior year in college.  A BA in English won't help me get the job I want  :(

Jeff

Yes most of the foresters I know have a B.S. in english. ;D

Tillaway

If you are interested in working on the West Coast let me know.  There are usually plenty of summer seasonal positions open in both public and private concerns.  What specificaly are you interested in?  I have contacts with specialty firms, such as logging engineering and such.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

ohsoloco

Actually, I have my bachelor of arts in creative writing, which I consider to be the ultimate "BS" degree   :D

Straubies

ohsoloco, and ron thanks for the info.    Tillaway, i am willing to move anywhere to get experience. I would like to settle some place near home in the future, but right now,  i'd go where the work is.  I looked into a crew around lake tahoe. something like a conservation corps, that looks pretty interesting. But any contacts you could help me with would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
Tim   (straubies)
Git er DONE!!

Ron Scott

~Ron

swampwhiteoak

If you are considering career gov. work in forestry, I would suggest possibly being a seasonal wildfire employee with the BLM or Forest Service.  You can take the entry level classes in PA and try to get on out west somewhere on a forest crew.  Even if you decide you'd rather get into timber or recreation for the long haul, wildfire skills are desirable.  Here's the hiring website:  www.avuedigitalservices.com/usfs/applicant.html
Keep in mind you need to personally contact any place you'd like to get on.  They are more likely to hire the enthusiastic, professional acting person than the random guy in the database.

Kevin

You might also consider working for a reputable arborist.
You might be hauling brush to start but you`ll learn lots about felling and rigging.

Thank You Sponsors!