iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM sharpener

Started by dooghi, September 24, 2006, 11:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dooghi

Hi folks Iam new at this and am in eastern Colo. not many mills out here. I have a homebuilt mill fashioned after a WM. I am using WM blades and am sharpening them myself, I think! One of my problems is as I sharpen them I just barely touch the face of the tooth and grind the gullet then it will skip a little the touch the back of the tooth. It doesn't grind all the way. If I make it grind all the way it it trips out the little breaker on the grinder. I have a 10 degree cam on it and I think that the blades are 10 degree blades. Also it seems that I have to adjust the lentgh of the push bar for every blade, should it not be the same each time as the tooth spaceing is the same on each blade? I do have lots of questions as I have been stuggling with this for some time. I also would'nt mind visting with some of you experts on the phone if I had a way to contact. If it would not be an inconvieance to any one. i'll use my dime if I could get a number. I have been a lurker for some time and have already gleened some insights. Thanks for any help at all Doug

WH_Conley

Welcome aboard. I might be able to help a little bit, I'm no expert, somebody will come along that is. I guess you are using a WM sharpener, that's all I have any experience with. You don't need much grind on the face, just square it up, grind the whole gullet and profile. If skipping you need to change the profile of the stone. If the blade cam and blade profile are not the same they will be after one or two light passes on the grinder. I might being something wrong but I always have to adjust the push bar length too, even on blades out of the same box. The little breaker won't stand much dragging of the motor, two light passes are better than one. Doesn't trip breaker, doesn't heat the blade as much and the finished job will be better.
Bill

WH_Conley

Go to top right side of screen to "forum extras". Knowledge base>bandmills and milling>A short note on wavy cuts. I could not get the direct link to post, but there is a wealth of info there that it would not hurt to explore anyway.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!