iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Software for cruising

Started by Phil, January 10, 2003, 04:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Anybody have any experience with timber cruising software, particularly Timber Tools and Crustali?  I'm looking at both these.  I like the price of the Timber Tools, but since I don't have Excel on my computer anyhow, it might be just as cheap to go with Crustali (which can do a lot more, I understand).  But Crustali is MS-DOS, right?  How's the presentation?  I'm guessing a printed report doesn't look nearly as good as the Excel print-out, does it?

Phil  

Tillaway

I have used MBG Tools from Mason, Bruce & Girard and Super ACE from Atterbury Consultants as well as various timber company and consultants in house programs.

Most of the ones I have used require a data base program.  Most around here use MS Access as a base for their programs.  It allows custom report generation and will interface with GIS applications.  The problem is they are a "bit" pricey.  I have never used the ones you mentioned, must be a regional thing.

What are your requirements, Handheld data collection?  Professional Custom Reports?  Customized Tables?  Stand Growth projection?  GIS Interface?
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Phil

Tillaway,

Those are the two programs I found in the Forestry Suppliers catalog.  Timber Tools is about $50, but requires MS Excel.  Crustali is over $300 and is an MS-DOS program.

I won't be using a hand-held computer.  Right now, I just need the most basic software I can find that'll do my cruise calculations for me and then generate a report.  However, I may need some of the extras down the road, so I wouldn't mind investing in those.  

My inclination at this point is just to buy MS Excel and set up my own program to handle calculations (assuming I remember enough about Excel to do that), unless I can come out cheaper or almost as cheap getting a few bells and whistles.

Where can I find information on the MBG Tools you mentioned?

Phil

Tillaway

Phil

These programs are both written by companies in or near Portland, Oregon.  They are allot more expensive than what you have been looking at.  MBG may sell you just a simple Behrs based plot compiler, but the cost may still be prohibitive for you.

Like I mentioned earlier most of these need a database program to work, usually MS Access.

Atterbury's Super ACE sounds like it may be more of what you need.  It too is considerably more costly as well, but is simpler to use than MBG's product.  It produces about any report you would want.

MBG Tools
http://www.masonbruce.com  I used to be able to tell you exactly who to talk to but that was a few years ago.  Check out the down load site for free volume tables.

Atterbury Consultants
http://www.atterbury.com/page7.html  For cruising products and programs.

Ron Wenrich

Man, those programs are a little pricey   :o

What I do is simply use a spreadsheet in MS Works.  Any reports I want, I can write with Word.  After I have a master, it's just change a few names and it's ready.

To find volumes, I simply use the tree volume calculators in the toolbox and plug in values.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tillaway

Yep... a bit pricey.  I was surprised at how little one of them cost. ::)

Super ACE is the industry standard out here.  It is used buy most log buyers, mills, States, etc.  California has more folks using home made programs.  The reason for the popularity is the hand held data collection and data is easy to tranfer from company to company.  Potential log purchaser can request your data base to run through thier program for appraisal purposes.  Some cruisers have experimented with cruising a sale and selling the data to numerous potential log purchasers.      

I guess cruising is taken a little more seriously out here.  An independent contract cruiser has to have, Data Recorder, Relaskop, and Laser to be well equiped if you work in Oregon or Washington.  Most companies expect you to have them or you don't get considered for a contract.

Ron Scott

You might also check with your State DNR or Extension Service. They might have a program available for general use or advise where you can get one at reasonable price.

~Ron

timberjack20

Crustali is a good program, even though Im not sure of the cost.  I am going to college at Pennsylvania College of Technology, and for cruising and making stand tables, Ive found that Crustali is a good prgram and the print-outs are nice too.  Good Luck.

Thank You Sponsors!