iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing VERY hard wood

Started by Fla._Deadheader, September 22, 2006, 09:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Actually, it's petrified. Got any ideas ???  ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

There was a thread around here someplace...........
Might be worth more in one piece though.

fstedy

You might have to go to carbide tipped blades if the wood is that hard. Expensive but worth it in the right application. Just my 2 cents worth!
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Fla._Deadheader

Too big and heavy to move. Might get 24"+ table rounds from it.  8) 8)

USE Carbide blades. This stuff has turned to STONE.  ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

fstedy

Remington also makes Diamond edge grit blade that will cut stone but it might not work in your application.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Furby

Ooh, ooh, I want one! I want one!
Got a chunk about 3' long left as a log?
Any idea about shipping it up my way?

Here's the link I was thinking of, you had the answer before you had the question! ;)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=13813.0

limbrat

A diamond chain saw blade. Its a friction blade that is water cooled. Saw one once that a sub used as a wall saw, but i never saw it used. They might make them that will dry cut.
ben

Dan_Shade

if it is truly petrified, find somebody who knows something about cutting granite... wonder if petrified wood moves as it dries :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kcwoodbutcher

I think Duall sells a diamond grit edge bandsaw blade. I've used one to cut rock and they work great, but very slow. The blade speed is more in tune with metal cutting than wood cutting and a lot of water is used to cool/lube. The blades aren't cheap so you might be better of taking it to a marble shop.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

UNCLEBUCK

I am going to win the dumbest answer of the year award for this but how about having metal cutting bandsaw blades on your bandsaw mill . I mean if its as hard as steel just pretend its steel . I bet the metal cutting type is of higher tensile ? My cousin is always cutting metal and wood on his bandsaw . Why dont somebody make a bandsaw blade that will cut metal and wood ? Never have to worry about tramp metal ever again. I suppose it would cut down on the selling of blades ?   smiley_trap_drummer
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

derhntr

We went through $600 worth of masonary blades trying to cut some for my fireplace. Finally gave up.

Brian
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

SwampDonkey

I thought you was in CR, not up on Axel Heiberg Island at the fossilized redwood Metasequoia glyptostroboides forest. :D

Fossilized forest

Article on the fossilized forest
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

You get a piece of rawhide strip, kinda like a shoestring.  Pound a bunch of sand into it. Pull the strip back and forth across the big rock.  Add sand as needed.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

The mill I am building would be able to handle the piece, I think. I'm going on 2nd hand info as to the size of the piece.

It is a Bandmill, soooooo, A band of some sort would work.  ::) 8)

Guess my first question shoulda been, what's Table slabs or Table "cookies" worth from petrified wood ?? 

Nobody ever find the info on the guy with the WM, sawing rock ???????????

Not pertinent to this thread, but, I was just perusing some Classifeds last night, and noticed our favorite Dentista now has the biggest and best collection of WALNUT in the World, all for sale  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Duncan

I had a friend that had a petrified log that was uncovered in a large flood about 2 years ago.  We looked into it and found that there was a supplier of diamond bandsaw blades and we were planning on using the woodmizer on idle with the blade engaged and massive water cooling. (garden hose)

However due to funds and some other complications this plan never materialized and the log is still sitting next to the river.  If you try it I will be very interested in the results.
Kelly

DanG

Throw the DanG thing in the rock pile and cut something you can make some money on.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

UNCLEBUCK

There is a place I trucked by south of Holbrook ,Arizona and it may have been located on the Holbrook Indian Reservation but it had truck parking and was quite a big facility and all they did was saw petrified wood , they had petrified wood crafts and gifts and they had petrified wood laying and hanging everywhere . If someone googled it I am sure as large a place as it was they must still be in business.  It was on the highway straight south of Holbrook going down towards the salt river canyon ,the old back way into phoenix . It was north of the salt river canyon and south of holbrook , only place I have ever seen anything like that . Petrified City ?

Butch

Petrified wood is cut with diamond blade saws.  Gem and mineral clubs usually have them.

Furby

This place UB?
Link

Harold, check out this one:Link

UNCLEBUCK

Good job Furby !  8)  Looks like no shortage of bids for the stuff too

Furby

All small stuff on ebay though. Really want something bigger and Harold has the right idea. ;)

Kcwoodbutcher

Forget about using a bandmill with any kind of metal or diamond blade. Even at idle the blade speed would be to high. I think a good speed is in the 100 fpm range.

Fla._Deadheader

Got any 'sperence to go with that info, Kcwoodbutcher ???  Can't believe this would not bring some big bucks from these pieces???
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Harold, maybe our new member Gustavo from Argentina has some idea. Here is a post where he mentions cutting some hard woods in Argentina.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=21290.msg303453#msg303453

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

I don't think everyone is reading the post and THINKING. This is garranteed PETRIFIED STONE WOOD. Millions and millions of years old.
   First, it is ridiculed;

getoverit

Harold,
I spent years in the North Georgia area and sold tons of computers to companies that mined and sold granite. What they used for cutting it was a steel wire about 1/4" thick, coated with an abrasive and cooled with water. It was slow cutting, but was very effective and the cuts were straight.  I could see where this would work for cutting the petrified wood as well, but would just be extremely slow cutting.

There are also circular cutting blades for cutting stone, and I would think that one could either modify one to fit a Peterson swinger or have one specially made. Try THIS LINK for a little more info on how to cut stone and the blades and abrasive wire available.  I dont see why one of these abrasive wire cutters couldnt be run on a bandmill. It might take modifying the band wheel tires or running it without any tires on the sheaves, but I bet it could be done.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

SwampDonkey

I was thinking, maybe not comprehending.  ::)  But, maybe it's a lead (previous post) to a solution. ;)

Dan_Shade

Harold, I have a cousin of some sorts that used to make headstones before he retired, now he just tinkers around with whatever he fancies, you two would really like each other.

I'll have to ask my dad if he knows what he used to cut the stones, but I think he just carved them....  I don't know how to get a hold of him myself, i only see him at reunions and such.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kcwoodbutcher

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on September 24, 2006, 09:11:08 AM

Got any 'sperence to go with that info, Kcwoodbutcher ???  Can't believe this would not bring some big bucks from these pieces???
Just for fun I cut up some neat looking rock I had at the place I used to work.  I ran a machine shop that could do just about anything. I used a roll-in bandsaw with a diamond grit blade. Anything but a very low speed and lot of water would burn up the blade. I think the petrified wood is actually harder than the stone I cut.

Fla._Deadheader

Ah HA. I figgered you had an idea about what I was wantin to know. Thanks. I like to know WHY something will or won't work, before I decide what to do. Appreciate the input.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Don P

We worked for a rockhound a few years back. He took us into Teepee Canyon and we harvested chert nodules from what had been gas bubbles in a limestone face. Most were just solid chert (think arrowheads) a few like these had agatized. We took some back and sawed them on his rock saw. It was a wet diamond tablesaw setup with a sled on a counterweight for feed. I think this is about the same hardness and he did have cut petrified wood as well. I think his was about a 12" blade, not sure how the cost works out for one that could do 24" but have seen up to 10' blades in some quarry pics.

I used to drive by a monument maker's shop. It had a wiresaw setup with the bandwheels mounted on phone poles some distance from the shed and the lower wire going through the shop. I'm not sure why the tremendous length was needed  ???

We've cut some granite on my tilesaw for facing work, you better have some form of counterweight auto feed or the patience of Job. We toasted 2 blades when someone got impatient, it's maddeningly slow to a woodworker  :D. 

edit;
I found this while googling, real similar to the setup we cut the agate on.
http://prospecting.atspace.com/rocksaw.html

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks, Don. Somewhere, I rtead an article aboput a guy using a WM to cut stone or Coral, or sumpin ???  Wish I could find that article. Might have been a WM magazine from 2001, when we first started building "Homey".  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

gmmills

Harold,

The article you are lookig for is in the 2003 issue number 65 of the WM news. The article is titled Rock of Ages. The rock he was cutting is called Miami Oolite. It states that he uses a special diamond bandsaw blade.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks. I knowed I seen it somewheres.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

ducknutt

i was watching the show .'dirty jobs' and they were mining marble, or something like that.....they used a wire saw to cut the stone, but it was gonna take 14 hours(i think) to cut a slab 8' tall 4' wide..
If God is your co-pilot, You're sitting in the wrong seat

rvrdivr

I've cut petrified wood before on small scale. I've got a lortone rock saw with a ten inch diamond blade. The piece sits on a jig which hold it firmly and it self feeds into the blade. I use al-mag oil (aluminum-magnesium cutting oil) as a coolant. All the differant wood I cut was very hard.
Rock cutting stuff can be found under Lapidary.

Good luck Harold

Don P

Have y'all seen the lady that makes granite hottubs? One boulder and she whittles it into a tub, talk about dirty jobs  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!