iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a White Ash?

Started by Cityfolk, September 21, 2006, 07:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cityfolk

Did I get it correct?

SwampDonkey

That smooth grey bark is tell tale sign of American beech. Leaves and nuts are similar to chestnut, as they are in the same family [Fagacea].

If you want to setup your albums in the gallery and upload pictures you can read up on the procedure in 'Behind the Forum' board. That way the image can be displayed in the post. :)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cityfolk

Thank you for your help.

This what one looks like after a little wind.

Other than killing my geese, what does one do with an American Beech?

jon12345

The nuts taste good, and its got pretty wood  :)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Cityfolk

Got got an email suggesting it could be a hackberry. Going to use my new found skill and put the photo in the text.

SwampDonkey

Bark's too smooth for common hackberry. I can't tell by the picture, but are the base of the leaves symetrical and the texture papery? or does one side of the leave base sag lower than the other (common hackberry and elm). Or are there excremous warts (don't confuse the warts for beech bark disease) on the trunk and non-papery, symetrical leaves (sugar hackberry)?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The range of beech does reach Texas along the border with LA. Is that area on higher ground? Beech isn't a lowland tree, it grows on what we call hardwood ridges here with ash, ironwood, yellow birch, oak, and sugar maple. I'm on the northern fringe of hardwood.

Cityfolk

As Brazoria country Texas I'm high 50ft above sea level . Took more photos and went through just about tree ID photos from the list website.

Furby

Sure don't look like any beech I've ever seen.

SwampDonkey

Only other thing it could be with those leaves is sugar hackberry. Did the tree ever have any red berries?

Cityfolk

No nuts or berries. Checked the other 5 trees nothing on them, it would make it too easy. Texas Ranger is sure it is the common junk tree, Hackberry. Thank you to everyone for helping identify this tree.

SwampDonkey

I would have to agree with Texas Ranger as well.

Thank You Sponsors!