iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milled some Choke Cherry

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 10, 2003, 07:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Yesterday I got off work early enough to mill for an hour. I put a twisted knot of Choke Cherry on the mill and was very impressed with the results. I did take pictures, they will be in next week.

A couple of the round pices off of the knot looked like they would make a nice cutting board. A long time ago I was told that you cut Choke Cherry out of horse pastures because it is bad for the horses. Is there anything to this? Is it bad for humans? Should it not be used around food?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DanG

Jon, as far as I know, the only problem with cherry and horses comes from the leaves. When the leaves are in a juvenile stage, they have a bit of Arsenic in them. The horses will eat them if they are hungry, but usually won't if they have plenty of grass. If I remember correctly, that was the cause of the foal death problem the Kentucky racing stables were having, a couple of years ago. Seems there was a bumper crop of web worms feeding on the cherry trees along the fencelines. When the worms would crawl from one side of the field to the other, they left a trail of arsenic-laden poop on the Bluegrass. This was consumed by the mares, who were large and strong enough to handle it, but the weak little foals died from drinking the milk.
I don't know of any reason your cutting boards wouldn't be ok.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

Arsnic laden poop!!!  :o :o :o  What a way to go!

... o course I just thought of a belated christmas guift for my ex... ;)

Dugsaws

I know they will kill cattle if they are down, it is a certian stage the leaves go through, when they wilt and cows eat the leaves it they will die, I know from experience. So to  answer your ? I dont think it will hurt them unless it is downed

Doug
Doug

chet

Dead and dying cherry produces cyanide. Even wilted leaves can be very toxic!
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

OneWithWood

Does all cherry produce cyanide or only choke cherry?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bro. Noble

All Cherries.

If I'm not mistaken,  it's just the leaves that are poison and then only while they are wilted.  The cyanide goes off as a gas when the leaves dry.  Don't eat any at all in case I'm wrong.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

chet

PURDUE UNIV. bulletin        

CHERRY

(rose family)

TOXICITY RATING: High.

ANIMALS AFFECTED: All animals may be affected. Ruminants (cattle, sheep, goats, deer) are more at risk than monogastric animals (dogs, cats, pigs, horses) and birds.

DANGEROUS PARTS OF PLANT: Damaged leaves pose the greatest risk. All parts are potentially toxic.

CLASS OF SIGNS: Anxiety, breathing problems, staggering, convulsions, collapse, death (which may be sudden).

PLANT DESCRIPTION: This cherry may grow as a tree or shrub. Bark of young branches and twigs is scaly and reddish-brown with prominent cross-marks ("lenticels"). Leaves are alternate, simple, elliptic-pointed, leathery in texture, and finely toothed on the margins. Flowers are showy, fragrant, and white, hang in drooping clusters, and produce dark-red to black cherry fruits. The wild black cherry commonly grows in fence rows, roadside thickets, and rich open woods.

SIGNS: Black cherry contains cyanogenic precursors that release cyanide whenever the leaves are damaged (frost, trampling, drought, wilting, blown down from the tree during storms). Most animals can consume small amounts of healthy leaves, bark and fruit safely; however when hungry animals consume large amounts of fresh leaves or small amounts of damaged leaves (as little as 2 ounces), clinical cases of poisoning will occur, and many animals may die. This is especially true if there is no other forage for the animals to consume, or in the case of pets, when confined and/or bored, the chances for toxic levels of ingestion can occur.

Healthy cherry leaves contain prunasin, a cyanide precursor that in itself is non-toxic. When the leaves are damaged, the prunasin molecule is split and free cyanide (also called prussic acid or hydrocyanic acid) is liberated. Many plants, especially those in the rose family, have the potential to produce toxic levels of cyanide under certain conditions. Chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) is also toxic. There are reports of peach sprouts, leaves, and pits poisoning sows. Apricot pits and apple seeds are toxic as well. Arrowgrass (Triglochin maritima) contains a cyanogenic glycoside and has caused poisoning in livestock.

Cyanide prevents the body from being able to utilize oxygen at the cellular level, so although the animals physically can breath, their tissues and cells "suffocate". After consumption, signs will manifest within a few minutes, but sometimes up to an hour may pass. The animals will try to breath more rapidly and deeply, and then become anxious and stressed. Later, trembling, incoordination, attempts to urinate and defecate and collapse is noted, which can proceed to a violent death from respiratory and/or cardiac arrest within a few minutes to an hour. If an affected animal is still alive 2 or 3 hours after consumption, chances are good that it will live.

FIRST AID: The clinical signs of cyanide poisoning tends to come on quite rapidly, and the animals may be found dead without much warning. If the animals are exhibiting toxic signs, call a veterinarian immediately. There is an antidote, but it needs to be given intravenously and within a few minutes of the onset of signs, and it is often impossible to get help in time. Prevent the animals (especially the unaffected animals) from eating any more of the grass or feed. Do not handle or stress affected animals any more than absolutely necessary, since this will worsen the signs. Also, affected animals are extremely stressed and may be dangerous to work with, therefore exercise caution so no human injury results.

SAFETY IN PREPARED FEEDS: Cyanide is lost to the air with time, so processed feeds containing cherry may technically be free of the toxin. However, green chop and silage containing cherry will still retain large amounts of cyanide aside from being feeds of poor quality. Dried products would also not be of high quality if they contain cherry, but the cyanide levels will be much lower. Caution is still advised when feeding cherry-contaminated feeds.

PREVENTION: Do not allow animals to have access to damaged cherry leaves, especially if they are hungry and there is no other forage available. Do not place fallen branches or tree trimmings where animals can graze them. Exercise caution with animals on pasture after storms, during droughts or after a frost since these conditions will increase the chances of toxic levels of ingestion. For pets, do not house or confine animals in the vicinity of cherry, since boredom will increase the likelihood that the plant will be eaten. For most species of cherry, the fruit is safe for consumption. It is the leaves and bark which pose the greatest risk
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Don P

That's knowledge base material. I've been unable to work a sawdust swap with horse folks here for fear of cherry dust being toxic.

chet

We are extremely carefull on utility R/W's not to leave any cherry branches, green leaves or chips if domestic stock is around.  ::)  It's not worth the risk.

Bro. Noble

Another plant that is deadly to livestock is yew.  You sure don't want to trim those thigs and throw them over the fence.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Azalea is another one. My son-in-law almost wiped out his goat heard, before he found out they were poisonous. :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

Arsenic laden poop  :D :D :D

I just had to bump this one up again. I have alot of choke cherry around and of course lots of tent worms the last few years. I think I'll hang a sign warning visitors about the dnager of arsenic laden poop in the area!

DanG and everyone who replied, I thank youall for your replies and I WILL take your advice seriously.

Jeff

I wonder if choke cherry aquired its name because of the arsenic.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!