iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting corn

Started by pigman, September 20, 2006, 10:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

For the last few days my big brother has had me helping him cutting corn to fill his silos.
My job was driving the tractor pulling the forage harvester pulling the forage wagon. At least my brother did not feed me canned peas for lunch like Charlie's big brother did a few years ago when he helped him saw. :D  He did furnish me a 25 year old tractor that the radio only worked part time. :(

This is the view that I had onehalf the time.

This is the view that I had the other half of the time. My neck is sore.

This is the two upright silos we filled.

This is one of the two  200ft silage bags we filled. Those things sure would hold a lot of sausage. ;)
Sore neck Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

mikeandike

Ya' shouldbe paying Him to get to have so much fun.
Next time bring your own radio.
;D
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

Tom

Yeah!!   That's what I told Charlie too.  But, he just looked at me funny and hasn't stopped talking about it yet.  He must've really had a good time.  :D

thurlow

Have spent many hours, days, weeks, etc pulling a silage cutter.  My Dad did a lot of custom cutting way back when.  Around "here", it was mostly trench silos.........silage pits we called 'em.  One of my favorite jobs when everything was working right.  We used false front endgates in the trailers; non of that new-fangled pto driven chain unloaders for us.  Always used A-C cutters which used a J-shaped cut-and-throw knife.  You could hear that thing moan clear across the community.  Thanks for dredging up an old memory;  we quit silage in the mid-80s.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

pigman

I have this plan for big brother. He is going to quit milking next year after 30 years, so my plan is for him to pay me back by helping me when I do custom saw jobs. 8)  Like me  he is not too bright, but I should be able to train him to move logs and boards. ;D Since he is used to working seven days a week, it will not matter what days we work.
Little brother Bob

thurlow, in this area a lot of the dairies are going to the silage bags and not using the upright silos they have on the farms.

UNCLEBUCK

Good pics Sore Neck Bob  ;D  my cousins have been choppin silage and just about done now and they switched to bags a few years ago and love it as the silo's up here freeze around the inside walls .  Bags aint cheap but they say they would never go back to the silo's . 

I suppose you better get ready for pickin corn in a month  ;D  Not many pick cobs here anymore  and just put shell corn in the bag . I suppose you do that too.

Nice big machinery and beautiful rollin hills there !  Thanks for the trip !  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

I thought those were mountains.  :-\

Corley5

Last time there was any silage in this neighborhood was in the early mid 80s.  The neighbor planted about 15 acres for his dairy herd than decided to sell the cows ::)  Chuck gave Grandpa a DanG good deal on the field for his beef herd.  He chopped it with the old Case chopper pulled by the W-6.  I pulled the wagons between the farms which was less than a mile with the 300 Farmall.  Great fun for a teenager.  That's the last time I was ever involved in it.  I love the smell of fresh chopped corn and corn silage.  I can still remember the juice running out of our old wooden silo after it was filled and the cows licking the sides 8).  Dad and Grandpa quit corn in 1974.  I was five.  They used the 180 MF to chop with and the 37 A JD to run the blower 8)  Cool pics Bob :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I don't think there is much corn silage here, they just harvest the corn seed for feed. Some grasses are silage, but mostly big round hay bales. Some folks try to cut the corn at about Christmas, then dump it in the field in January.  ::) :P
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

Where is the mud?   Ain't no fun without it.   Just starting to chop here, some corn is ready but we have had ALOT of rain.
Together we got this !

Patty

So many empty silos, makes me want to load up the .50 and get the show on the road!  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

isawlogs

Sore neck Bob ... right about the time they made the ice box ... they came up with the picture reflecter .... It is now used on those eneregy non-effeicient four wheel horseless buggys , to help with some backing up or have a looksee behind , not that many use them , but should , Ya might wanta give one a try ... sure does help with the sore neck some .  I do beleive they have called it a mirror .  ;D

Patty ,
Oh never mind .  :D :D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Quote from: isawlogs on September 21, 2006, 09:02:31 AM
  Sore neck Bob ... right about the time they made the ice box ... they came up with the picture reflecter .... It is now used on those eneregy non-effeicient four wheel horseless buggys , to help with some backing up or have a looksee behind , not that many use them , but should , Ya might wanta give one a try ... sure does help with the sore neck some .  I do beleive they have called it a mirror .  ;D

There was a younger feller that worked with me in summer months and I used to use the rear view mirror as if I was looking through the windshield. I'de be backing up down some old woods road just as fast as we could go forward. He said he could never do that. I said it was just as easy as driving ahead when looking through that mirror.  I think he was alittle nervous at times. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

How do you seperate the corn from the stalk and other stuff that gets thrown into the trailer? I've been wondering how that worked for awhile now  :D

I keep meaning to stop by one of the farms near me to ask.
remember man that thy are dust.

SwampDonkey

Come, come now Modat  :D :D You use a combine to separate the corn seed. ;)

Ok, I'm just gonna take that response as "I know how it's done really, but I wanna see who is gonna reply" :D :D

Modat22

What can I say, I was pretty much a city boy most of my life well actually I was more of a city redneck.  ;D

Roxie

Modat....the John Deere Company explains it this way:

As the combine moves through the field, the gatherer points are positioned between the cornrows. The stalk rolls pull the cornstalks down so the deck plates will snap off the ears. Trash knives prevent weeds and trash from wrapping around the stalk rolls. The gatherer chains move the ears up to the auger. The auger moves the ears to the front of the feeder house where rubber paddles feed the ears into the feeder house.

You should never be afraid to ask!   8)  I'll bet there are plenty of folks that don't know how a combine works. 
Say when

Modat22

thanks, I like knowing how stuff works. I'm the guy that always holds up a tour asking question about a process  :P

So after the corn is removed aren't the stalks also harvested for the cows?

Roxie

Sometimes but not always for the same usage.  If they cut the corn for drying, they leave the corn stalk for baling.  It is used very much like straw for bedding.  If they are cutting silage then they take it all. 
Say when

SwampDonkey

The stalks and empty ears get ejected out the rear of the combine and the combine has a chopper to disperse the stalks and stuff over the ground for humous. Hmm, not sure if they hook up a collection system to gather the mulch from the back of the combine. What I suspect is, if they want the stalks and stuff for silage they won't use the chopper on the combine. They come behind with a harvestor machine that gathers it off the ground like when making hay bales and it mulches the stalks and ejects them into a trailor behind. I might be mistaken on that part. If your just cutting silage, everything is together: stalks, corn seed and cobs. Gets cut, mulched and ejected into the wagon behind the harvestor/processor.

pigman

Quote from: isawlogs on September 21, 2006, 09:02:31 AM

So that is what that thing attached to the top of the tractor was for. I thought it was so the driver could see how handsome he was ( or how pretty she was.) ::)
All this talk about combines, stalks and corn ears is getting me confused. You all have to remember I was just the driver, I don't know how all that machinery works. ;D
I was a little concerned showing that picture of the silos; didn't want to tempt
the silo shooters. ;)
Bob

Norm

Awww come on Bob you said they aren't using them for silage anymore. :D

You guys are chopping silage and we're getting ready to combine around here, what kind of tonage do you get from the fields down there?

pigman

Norm, after this year my brother might just want you to shoot those silos down. ;D
I don't have any idea how many tons he gets to the acre. I do know in the field in the picture two rows made a wagon load of about 10 tons. We had a lot of regular rain  this year and the corn was extremely tall and was late in drying enough to chop. He had some drainage out of the silos, but not as much as expected considering how green the stalks were. Usually we cut corn around the first of Sept. in this area. He doesn't shell any corn, not enough ground for anything but silage and hay. He lost the lease on a farm he had been leasing for over 20 years. The farm is now growing houses instead of corn. :(
Bob 

thurlow

Norm, I'm somewhat South of the piggyman; when we were putting up silage (did it for 30-plus years), the standard was considered to be about 20 tons per acre..........using a corn specially bred for silage.  Yield may have increased somewhat since we quit.  Loved reading the explanations of how the harvesting machinery worked :D in the various posts.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SwampDonkey

Wish I was an inventor, I'de make that all work in one machine, the combine. Only thing is, I'de have to have as much for the machine as all the other machines bought separate. ;D  8)

Thank You Sponsors!