iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White log

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 10, 2003, 05:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Never saw a white log before. Looks like Pecky Red Cypress ??

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get "straight" boards out of this ?? :D :D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frank_Pender

Cut it in short lengths. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

UUUHHHH, Frank, wait till you see it OUT of the water. I doubt it will make 12" boards ?? :D :D

The pic shows my son resting against it while we are steaming to port !!
   First, it is ridiculed;

Frank_Pender

In all seriousness, Deadheader, youmight be able to saw it into two halves witha  band mill.  I nthis way you could have two book-matched pieces for benches.
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

Thought about that Frank. There is a LARGE limb sticking out the bottom side(in the pic). Where he is standing, there is a 3 way crotch, and it must be 28" in dia. The sapwood is twisty and curvey. Once I get it on dry ground and get a good look, I can post more pics and maybe get some more input.

Would like to see some of the benches and table slabs that you have cut. Posting pics AIN'T difficult. I can do it !!  ::)

First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

In all seriousness, Harold, a log like that is more valuable cut into 10/4 or 12/4 slabs from the side.  Being pecky it may not make a good bench because it won't hold much weight without a lot of support.  Cut from the side it will make curved shelving or ornamental beams or bracing.
 :)

Let the ears stick out of the open side of your mill and you can move the log back and to, so as to fit the opening between guides.

Fla._Deadheader

Well Howdy, Tom. How's the wing?? Hope all went very well.
  I gotta get ya to the camp, so ya can eyeball this sucker.
  All the logs, so far, have a lighter than heart, tannish color sapwood. This thing is WHITE !!  Thought we had a "pertekted specie" when we got it loose. Broke chains and all sorts of stuff, pulling it. Once, thought I seen a little pointy hat driftin away?? :D :D :D
  Been thinkin about that "movin the log" stuff. How do you move or scoot a log, without it rolling off parallel with the blade? I guess a little off won't hurt??
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

You have to get a kinda flat spot on the bottom so it doesn't roll. Keepin' it short makes it handier too.  You will have trouble anytime you begin to "max out" one of the mill's dimensions.

Wing hurts. Back to using the Bible method on the keyboard, "Ye seek and ye shall find". :D

Those might be White cypress logs.   You find them growing along the banks of open running water a lot.  There's lot's of them along the St. Johns in the shallows. :P

Fla._Deadheader

We were noticing that some of the Cypress trees had no "traditional" tops. The top of the tree just branched out with 2 or 3 huge limbs?? Is that the kind of tree you are referring to?? Haven't seen the white sapwood until this one.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

White will exhibit a white, intact, bark with small plates. Red cypress will usually show a brown stringy bark.  White generally has a light colored wood, faster growth and less heart. There are arguments for these trees being the same tree and the differences being caused by their environment.  White isn't as rot resistant.  Cypress are identified by non foresters (oldtimers} as red, white, pink, orange, black an possibly other colors.  It's confusing when a book says they are all Bald Cypress. Red and white are common names and if there are two species or sub-species, I would have to put my money on them.

Thank You Sponsors!