iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greetings from the Florida Arctic

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 10, 2003, 04:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Wish y'all would keep yer cold weather UP NORTH !!!

Besides the cold, NOW, the water is runnin so fast, the Diver can't hang on to the logs. FREEZE that DanG water up north. It's fill in our creeks up so we can't log !!  :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Minnesota_boy

I'm trying to keep it all for myself, but I can't grow the trees fast enough or tall enough.  I've got some more coming at you at about 30 MPH now, at just a bit below zero.  Want me to stand out in it and wave my arms to slow it down some?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

OneWithWood

Naw, MB.  I need that cold weather to firm up the ground so I can get something done ::)
However if you could warm it up just a few degrees I would be most appreciative.  I ain't picky just keep it between 15 and 25 on the Fahrenheit scale ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Sawyerfortyish

Send some of cold my way I want to go ice fishin. Hey Fla_ deadheader how about logging on the ice. ::) Pretty cooool  ;D :D :D

Minnesota_boy

We've just gotten over a spell of record warmth and just to my southwest a 150 miles they had a bit of trouble with the ice fishing.  Read the story!

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3582978.html

Sawyerfortyish

Hey at least you had ice. We can fish just about any place in a boat! It just ain't right we got a foot of snow but no ice.

Fla._Deadheader

ICE FISHIN ??????  :D Been there, done that. Somehow I can't get the picture out of my mind of chainsawing a LARGE slot in the ice to pull the log through, and it WONT FIT !!! ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

hawby

Don't know about Minnesota, but its a pretty hefty fine to let your fishing shack "pollute" the waters here in Michigan...

Corley5 what is the fine????

I for one am hoping that it just stays one temperature.... 25° or 55°, I don't care. I just don't want BOTH in the SAME day! Oh, that's right, I live in MICHIGAN!

klh
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Minnesota_boy

Up in my end of the state, we have a foot of ice and no snow.

Jeff

thats about what we got M boy but today we got an inch of snow. So we is white agin.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

MB, I think our tropical January weather is over. Down here in the SE corner it's supposed to hit -5 degrees by morning. Got just a dusting of some real dry snow this morning. Maybe a 1/2 inch at best.  I think Fla_Deadheader should come up here for a few weeks to acclimate himself. Then that water down there won't feel so DanG cold. In fact, he might think it was like a hot tub. 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Noble_Ma

I just went out to get the wife the morning paper. It's about 5 right now and they're saying it won't get above single digits all weekend.  There's plenty of ice here too. 8)

Norm

Yes it is finally feeling like a typical Iowa winter day, my thermometer read -3 and a nice 10 mile an hour breeze made doing chores so much more fun. The heater on the stock tank quit working last nite so I spent an hour getting the back-up one installed. Until it takes effect hauling water in 5 gallon buckets has been what we've been doing. All that said I would rather put up with this kind of weather than 95 degrees with lots of humidity. Yea we get that also in the summer, just doesn't last as long as it does south of here. Now that I'm thawed out a little it's back to bringing in enough firewood to last through the weekend. The playoffs are on and I'm looking forward to some good football this weekend.

splinters

Well Deadheader: If you post your street address I'll send to you UPS collect a couple of slices of Tug Hill Snow to go with that cold. Right now the slices are 'bout 3 feet thick and growing by the minute.

woodmills1

we have around 2 feet of snow on the ground here, but believe it or not the ground is not frozrn under it.  I plowed out an area on the side yard so the log truck can get in and found just about as much dirt in the piles as there was snow.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sawyerfortyish

The last snow I had here I plowed and graded the driveway at the same time. What a mess for spring cleanup

L. Wakefield

We are way past that and into the deepfreeze. -20*F last night with a nice little wind to help that arctic air come on down. Mike said it didn't stop the ice fishing crowd.. I didn't go out on the lake..came home, powered out to do chores, and then hauled ALL the rescue gear in so if there was a necessity to put on turn out gear it didn't start out at a brisk    -20*. It's a demented Chinese fire drill to go out on a call if all the gear is inside. Maybe some year we'll talk the town into buying an ambulance- right now we are a 'non-transporting' service and our transports are contracted to the next town over. It will be nice if I ever get to have all the gear in a vehicle at a reasonable temperature- and imagine- a place to put the patient besides working on the roadside in a gale!

But back to the weather..it got up to a balmy 17* today. No mud problems.. Thank God there is a bit of water still running through the gully where the cows can get at it.

The ice on the lake was a long time coming- ice, rain, ice, rain, snow, snow, snow- but now there's about a foot- or so my sources tell me.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Fla._Deadheader

BRRRRRRR. I remember them days. Y'all can have it. :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodmills1

was -5 yesterday but every thing started up, though the tractor did some complaining.  have a small order of hemlock 2x8 to cut today, and it is again -5.  cant wait to see how the hydraulics are on the woodmizer.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

L. Wakefield

You must be a whole zone warmer than us! It was -17 again this am. I have just one more week before heading to Florida. And of course they are showing pictures of freezing plants down there too- can't get away from it.

But we have what we need to be warm and comfortable.

I do tend towards hibernation during my time off. Curling up under lots of covers is just a truly bear-like thing that I enjoy. When I go out, I just feel like I put on my armor and put it in 4wd to power on and get things done.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Fla._Deadheader

Where bouts in Fl you headed?? We are due east of Orlando and a little South.
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodmills1

well it was -5 yesterday, but the tractor fired right up.  The sawmill was another story, just not enough oomph in the battery.  on the third spin she let out a pssssst kinda backfire and blew out the fuse.  replaced that but it just wouln't spin.  so much frozen sawdust that i could'nt get the battery out to warm and charge, but a jump from the toyota got everthing movin.  I hit a chunk of frozen icy dirt that acted just like a nail, but things went fine after that.  warmed up to 9 degrees by the time I got done at 2.

L. Wakefield

Well, I'M not running a mill right now (thank God..) but I was wondering- is the sawdust too much of a risk factor for one of those salamanders? You need electric to fire them up and they burn kero- but my  WORD they put out the heat. If you set them far enough back that they don't have a risk of playing any flame where it shouldn't be- and keep them full enough of kero that they don't 'cough'- they will do a very rapid and effective job of convective, radiative, and what I can only call 'blast' heating where the hot air is just blasted toward wherever you aim it. I've used one very carefully in the barn, where the hay is a definite risk- but I broomed it back and never left it unattended.

Fla_deadheader- we land at Orlando and the in-laws are down in Avon Park. I have a growing list of things to do.. what will you be up to between 1/26 and 2/2?  lw

Fla._Deadheader

LW, never can tell. If you see that you have some time, call me at 800-293-4807, especially in the evening a day or so before, and I'll see what I can scare up to do??
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!