iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! Rust on table of table saw

Started by OneWithWood, September 17, 2006, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Kevjay,
I am satisfied with the job the mineral spirits and steel wool did.  I might try some of the stuff you linked to just to see if I can lift the stains.
I bought the 1hp Grizzly powerfeeder.  It is a beast.  I think it weighs in excess of 180 pounds.  I mounted it off to the side of the saw because I wanted to be able to move it easily and I wasn't keen on drilling holes in the table.  It moves the wood through nicely once you get it dialed in.  What a time saver, not to mention finger saver  8)
Here is a thread with a pic on my setup
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=21109.0

I have since built a wooden stand next to the saw to rest the power head on when it is not in use. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

Here's a picture of mine Kevin, it's setting on a powermatic table saw.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: OneWithWood on December 14, 2006, 10:04:29 AM
..... I might try some of the stuff you linked to just to see if I can lift the stains. . . .

It lifted them off of my 60 year old table top. Not saying the stains were that old of course.

So how bout you Norm; you thinking that Griz is Da Bomb too?

I generally try to buy Grizzly as a last resort. But sometimes the price is so low, and quality just acceptable enough that I do so. My first 10" slider was a 1023S and it was a nice machine after I finally got it dialed in.
I also think I remember reading where their feeders were rated a sBest Buys and in one case Editors Choice, price not a factor.
I will probabky get the Grizzly. I haven't found anything close to it in quality for price ratio.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Norm

I used to avoid grizzly too Kevin but I now own their jointer, spiral head planer and power feeder. They are good quality and I've had no problems with them. I looked long and hard at the powermatic power feeder before deciding on the grizzly, it came down to price and availability for me.

jpgreen

Find your schematic part breakdown here...

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/

I don't have a Makita router, but I know my other Makita's have the replaceable brushes Skil type saw and others.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

SwampDonkey

smiley_thumbsup  thanks JP

They say they can get them in locally at the hardware store.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jpgreen

Just......

another.......

service.......

we........

provide..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

OneWithWood

Been meaning to update this thread for a while.  Furb and Stumpjumper jogged my memeory when they paid me a visit last week and the thought just surfaced again - so I am taking advantage of this rare sensient moment.

After I got the stain under control and the table smooth again I started researching the best wax to use to proect the table.  I had been using Johnson paste wax for furniture.  After an exhaustive search I thought I would try something my dear old dad often tried to get through my somewhat impervious cranium.  I can still hear his words echoing in my head:

"If all else fails, read the instructions!"

So I got out the booklet that came with the PM2000.  And there in black and white, hiding among a bunch of other words was this sentence. -or something close to it-

Talcum powder applied with a blackboard eraser will fill the microscopic pores in the table top metal preventing moisture adhesion and will not effect the wood.

I have been powdering my tables ever since and there has been no sign of rust accumulation so it must be working.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Paschale

Well, you've got that table top back into pristine order, and it's as smooth as a baby's behind...and smells like one too, with all that talcum powder.   ;D

I read that in my manual too, but haven't tried it.  This is the time of year when the weather wreaks havoc on my equipment, so I've been planning to go out there and get them prepped for the change in temp and humidity.  Maybe I'll try the talcum powder this time aroud...
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Larry

I use a lot of talcum powder...not to prevent rust but to keep wood sliding smoothly.  It really comes in handy when running moulding through the Belsaw or shaper...in most cases you would have to break down your setup to apply wax.  I also keep a bar of paraffin wax handy.  You can break off a little chunk and let a board push it through for application sometimes.

Best way to clean rust off is to slop diesel, oil or whatever you have handy on the surface and let it sit for an hour.  Next take one of those window scraper things that use the straight razor blades...scrape the rust off.  Wipe the surface with mineral spirits than hit it with a right angle grinder with a steel wire brush.  Bear down just enough to give it the patina of well used and maintained old arn.  Bear down to long or hard and it will make shiny spots which look a littler strange.  I cleaned up a bandsaw table in about 15 minutes yesterday, and that included slopping on some paraffin, dissolved in mineral spirits for a little protection.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jack

OK gents, and ladies....

Im lookin for a good table saw to put in the shop.... (so i can clean the rust off of...seems im missin out on that issue as of now).

I have about $400-600 to spend.  I would like to get something that has a good fence and enough power to cut thru a piece of euculyptus...

My shop is solar powered, cept the 30 kw threephase electricity maker. but the ph260 is taking a bit of that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Jack
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

SwampDonkey

Well what ever it is, make sure it's a 220V motor and cast iron. I'm not sure $600 will buy it, might. A good one here (New Brunswick) is closer to $900 now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!