iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harrisburg Farm Show

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 08, 2003, 05:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

My brother Chris and I are heading up to the Farm Show this Saturday, the 11th. Woodmizer sent me an invitation! guess they DonT know I have one of the other DanG orange mills.

Anyone else going? I plan on getting there around 9 and just "milling" around. I will be proudly wearing my FF hat.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

On sunday The lovely Miss Celest, Brother Chris and I went to the Pa farm show. I spent some time with the Wood-Mizer folks. I was kicking the tires pretty hard on the LT40 Hydraulic. In the parking lot they had a 44hp Super Hydraulic set up, a very impressive machine. They milled some red oak and showed the hydraulic log loader, turner, debarker and setworks. They did not turn on the water feed while sawing, said it was only necessary when the blade starts to load up. I think I left some drool on the machine...
 It was interesting to walk through the livestock areas but when we went through the poultry area, well now that was loud! I estimated about 500 chickens, geese and ducks all trying to make their point over the crowd.
 We stoped by the American Chestnut booth, Chris has been planting some blight resistant seedlings. I bought a nice cutting board made out of re-sawn American Chestnut.
 Overall it was an enjoyable day but it did get real crowded.

Noble_Ma

I really wanted to go catch that show.  The wife has friends in Penn and it would have worked out fine if the kids weren't going back to college.  Were there any other sawmill makers there?  I heard that the Lancaster area is really nice with lots of furniture makers and good home cooking diners.  Maybe next year.

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks Noble_Ma, I thought I was talking to myself.

Woodmizer was the only sawmill there. They had the LT15, 27 and 40 Hyd inside and the LT40 super outside.

There is lots to see and too much to eat in the area.

Noble_Ma

I get that feeling sometimes too.  Don't take it personal ;D

There's a sawyer class coming up in May at Penn State that I might attend.  I've done a lot of fly fishing in Penn and would love to retire there some day.  If I have any money left after paying the college bills.  I used to work with a guy from Penn and his license plate said something about God's country,  I'm a believer!  

Weekend_Sawyer

I heard about that class. I beleive I'll sign up for it myself.
Make sure you wear your FF hat! Might cause a stir.

My Dearest Cousin Angie took a class there. All she can talk about is how the "Worlds Greatest Icecream" is sold there.

mabe that's why i'm going.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

It's not that I'm not going to the Farm Show, just that I'm going this Friday and I'll be in the Chestnut booth - barring any major snowstorm.

As for Lancaster county, there are 200 woodoworking shops in the county.  Many of them are Amish.  They've split farms up so many times, that there isn't really enough land to make a living from farming anymore.  The cooking is pretty much what I grew up with, so for me, it's nothing special.  

The Penn State Creamery is a fine place.  It is right next to the Ferguson Building, which used to be the Forestry building.  They built a new one, so I'm not sure if it is still used for forestry.  It was sure great to go over there after class on a nice spring afternoon and get types of ice cream that weren't available anywhere else in the world.

The God's country slogan is for Potter county, which is center on the NY line.  The PA Grand Canyon is to the east of that, and is also a really nice area.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

johnjbc

I was at the Farm Show on Sunday also from 10:00AM to 4:00PM but didn't see any FF Hats. I was petty crowded, on the news this evening they said that more people have attended in the first 3 days than came all week last year. Maybe we will see you at the Forestry Expo next June. ???
John
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Weekend_Sawyer

I plan to go to that too. It takes me about 2 hours to get there, straight up 83.

Jon

Thank You Sponsors!