iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tennis balls in my black walnut trees ?

Started by UNCLEBUCK, September 14, 2006, 06:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Look like big green pears hangin everywhere ? Gorp  :o

They are huge  !  Could it be ? Could it really be a ?  Never seen anything like this before so I hope someone will take a moment and splain ? Thanks a bunch  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

thurlow

I've played my share of tennis; never seen any balls without seams/lines, so I doubt they're tennis balls..................of course, I've never seen any immature balls, so could be??  On another thread, someone was trying to identify some large black balls ;D;  maybe these are the immature stage of them.................
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Riles

You were expecting maybe bowling balls in your black walnut tree?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

DanG

Them ain't tennis balls, they're Grapefruits.  Buck, you're probably the very first person to ever grow Grapefruit in Minnesota.  You're gonna be famous! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

UNCLEBUCK

Boy I am puzzled now as I have watched this tree grow since it was a twig and it came from Gurneys along with a big order of other things. Never seen a walnut tree make walnuts so I had to ask . I have seen walnuts in the store but thought maybe they are green on the tree or something ?   A grapenut tree  :D   Maybe gurneys got it bagged wrong but I will have to cut one of these thingys off tomorrow and report !

DanG , I am going to hoot and holler if youre right  8)

Watch out for the walnut trees granny would shout out when I mow lawn . I have more of these around the yard . I am puzzled and excited and might have to go back to this tree right now , yep , I'm going ,  this is too exciting ! Thanks all

Tom

If those are walnuts, make sure you have on rubber gloves if you cut them open.  They will stain you a pretty brown and it will last a long long time.

UNCLEBUCK

Well I guess I should have just taken one off today and did a examination , planted 500 of these and alot died because it gets 40 below zero here so never had the chance to ever see one grow except the ones I planted around the yard where the snow gets very deep . I am totally amazed at this second skin around the walnut .   Its a DanG black walnut !  My first crop of walnuts! Thanks   ;D

beenthere

Looked like black walnut 'walnuts' all along. That green husk will turn black fast, and be real black, and like Tom says (never doubt him  :)) the black will stain.  The nut inside can be washed clean (I do it in a 5 gal bucket and use the hose to tumble them around) and then spread them out to dry. Once dry, the meats inside can be removed by cracking the shell.
I use the vise in my shop to crack them. More controlled than a hammer.  :)  The meats make great cookies and cakes, when added.

Here is a MN site on black walnut harvesting
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Patty

Buck, are walnut trees that scarce up where you are? I was a little suprised to read this thread. If you let the squirrels plant those walnuts you will someday have a whole yard full of beautiful trees.  :)

Hey, nice pen there in the photo.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

JimBuis

When those walnuts start falling, lay them out together on some hard ground and drive a car back and forth over them to take off the external husk.  It makes it alot easier to come along then and pick up the walnuts to get them ready for cracking.  Cracking that inner shell is a real job. I agree that a vise would be helpful.  I wouldn't try one of those cute little household nutcrackers on them.  Unless the nutcracker has a handle 12" or more in length, it usually won't stand a chance.  The shell will just laugh at you.  Also, don't even think about a hammer.  You can break them that way, but the pieces become instant shrapnel.  There's been more than one emergency room visit caused by walnut shrapnel.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

DanG

This reminds me of something my Brother-in-law was telling me.  Lil' Sis bought a bag of grapefruit that turned out to be not very good.  They were dry and had poor flavor, so they didn't eat them.  After they set around in the house a few days, BIL took them out and tossed them into the edge of the woods across the road.  The next day, a crew of laborers stopped there to take a break in the shade and found the grapefruits scattered under the pines.  They all sat down and had a feast of this mystery fruit.  BIL said it was hilarious watching a bunch of Guatamalans running around looking up into the pine forest for more fruit. ::) :D :D

Those walnuts look a lot like the Tung nuts on that other thread.  They have a thick husk also, but there are several nuts inside.  I have one that is about dried out now, so I'll take some pics and put them over there. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

DanG
UB's first pic reminded me so much of your pic of the tung nut, that I thought initially that UB was pulling our leg and using your picture to do it. I didn't take the time to look up your picture to compare.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

UNCLEBUCK

Should have seen the look on my face when I cut the hide off of this green thing , I really thought I had me a special tree or something  :D 

I am just amazed about this as I am in zone 3 .

Thank you beenthere for the info and link which I am going to study and thanks Jim Buis for the tips . Thanks Tom for the info and thanks Patty for the handcrafted wooden pen  ;D   DanG had me goin because quite some time ago I planted peaches and pears , plums,cherries, apricots and some other stuff and thought I really had me baby grapefruit or something  :D  I am so excited especially after losing 500 trees to the harsh winter .  They are beautiful trees and if it would have snowed more I believe the 500 planted would have survived because they really did well the first summer and were very hardy .  It gets so cold here there is no rattlesnakes or possum or black walnut so I will take very good care of these . I planted those 500 black walnut transplants so someday 60 years from now my little nephew would have a ace in the hole if he ever got into a financial fix but I think I might try another 500 next spring and plant them all in a better snow catch area .  Things I learn here are sometimes overwhelming  :)

Tom

Uncle Buck,
I don't know how you are planting these, but...

One of my customers was growing some on his property here.  We don't have Black Walnut here except for what some nut brings in. 

He gave me a sack full (seems he had an abundance. :D ) and asked if I knew how to plant them.  "Nope".

He said that all he does is kick them around the yard until he finds a place that looks like it needs a tree and then he steps on it.   It smushes down into the ground till it's about level with the surface and he goes off and forgets it.  Next thing he knows (he says) there's a tree growing there.  :D

Texas Ranger

Tom. you let the secret out.  Years ago my family was establishing a walnut plantation up in Missouri.  We would buy X number of seedlings from the state, and plant them.  We began noticing that the chipmonks would bury nuts all over the yard (Yard had a half dozen big black walnut trees), by father, being the source of all my knowledge and considerable talent in saving sweat, started taking walnuts out and stomping them in the ground where he wanted trees.  Worked.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

That's about what I do Tom, with mine. Also, with the butternut seed. Actually, the butternut on my lawn simply germinated where they fell, I didn't have nut'n to do with it. See, we have this thing they call frost that upheaves the topsoil and by spring they are burried just deep enough. ;D But, usually I make use of a dibble bare for  making a shallow hole, plunk the seed in ,husk and all, and by July I got trees. I have germinated walnut from Virginia and NC sources, not very hardy up here in Zone 4b. Not sure if the seed from my young walnut trees took cause they are impossible to find in among shrubs that are the same colour or leaf shape. ;D I've gotta start harvesting some basswood seed before the rainy season hits so I can have them in the ground. I could pick a paleful off my yard trees this year.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jon12345

When I was doin some googlin on nut trees I came across somethin that said there is a type of walnut that can grow up in canada, if I can find the name of the variety I'll edit.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

Jon, I have two. They are native to southern Ontario, around Lake Erie. I got mine from Quebec. I know a couple other people around that have some black walnut as well. I have a few seed again this year. The trees were planted in '92 They seem to grow as fast as aspen trees.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jon12345

I read about this on southern ontario nut growers website, doesn't say what the variety was, just that there was one that would grow in zone 3.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

Sure it's not butternut they are discussing. Come to think of it, it may not even grow their either. Hmm, I do remember seeing some at the botanical garden in St Jaques, NB though, which would be in zone 3. Our butternut are alot more frost hardy than the walnut I have, but we have to have a winter with alot of days below 0 F before I notice much die back in the spring. Last 3 years have been above zero with alot of teens and twenties, occassional thirties and forties. On rare occassion we can get up to 60.

Left Coast Chris

Uncle Buck,    I live in zone 9 here on the left coast .......... practically a bannana belt and have about 4 acres of comercial walnuts left that we grow and harvest.  They are english walnuts on Calif. black walnut root stalk.   We do have a number of rootstalk (black walnut) that we have let grow.    When ever we have a near crop failure because of rain or frost the trees will have only a few nuts on them that are HUGE...... like the ones you are showing.    The tree is normally wall to wall nuts (3 tons per acre), when its sparce..... you get the giants.     If you have a really warm year some time you will probably have many more and smaller (normal) nuts.   ::)

I guess we get allot more nuts out here on the left coast.....both botanical and human  ;D ;D
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Patty on September 15, 2006, 07:30:52 AM
Buck, are walnut trees that scarce up where you are? I was a little suprised to read this thread.

Patty,
Uncle Buck was funning you a bit when he said that it gets to 40 below in winter.  It really gets nearer to 50 below and black walnut really struggle to survive.

Although we are seperated by only about 100 miles, Uncle Buck is in zone 3 while I am in zone 2.  Don't even think about planting black walnut here.  I've seen the thermometer sit at 57 below and not far away people reported 65 below.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Just finished planting some walnut, butternut and basswood on the woodlot. I noticed the odor of the walnuts oil on the husks, quite nice if someone could find a way to make incense from the oil. ;D

UNCLEBUCK

farmer77 thanks for that info and I have been to your state about 200 times and always loved the smell of California , the smell of money  ;D The pines coming across Donner and then quickly changing to citrus and then the smell of the hayfields and then the ocean smell ! Always enjoyed it !

I noticed before  I cut the hide off this walnut that it almost smelled like cologne and had a really nice smell to it .

The link that beenthere gave me pretty much has me prepared now for the processing part and it is so interesting and I cant wait to go to the freezer and dump a ziploc bag of these walnuts into the homemade ice cream bucket .

I still laugh hard when I read Dang's story about the guatemallan's  ;D

My theory was when I planted these 500 transplants that in 10 years a custom harvesting crew would come and shake the trees and then I read that shaken trees make shakey lumber . I planted 3 rows a half mile long each and it was may 1st and it did not rain for 30 days but you couldnt tell it by how fast the transplants really shot up and I thought I was a genious  ::) but as Minnesota Boy says we really are in a area that is pushin the limits for black walnut . It costed only .38 cents a piece for these transplants from the Willow River Nursery over by Duluth,Mn so its not bad for a loss its just that when spring rolls around I really was hoping for them to survive .

Sure is some pretty trees and many branches so I can see why people like them for yard trees .  I got white oak acorns on the ground here everywhere now and the only thing I ever did with those was use them in our slingshots as kids . I am just fascinated by these black walnut !  :)

Thank You Sponsors!