iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anybody cut (chinese tallow tree) popcorn trees??

Started by timcosby, September 14, 2006, 12:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timcosby

don't know the actual name of this tree but in the south this is the name most people know them by. i got some in the edge of the woods that are fairly straight as far as popcorn trees go. i need 40" long boards for my walkway but didn't know the strength of this species i was thinking 1.5" thick. does it dry o.k. or curl like a pretzel?

Riles

Tallowtree, Sapium sebifera.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=410

Never cut the stuff, so I can't help you with your question.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Texas Ranger

Not much strength to the wood, kinda brashy, doesn't even make good fire wood, and we burn DanG near everything in Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

I saw some bowls turned from it a while back.  They were pretty.  I think it would make really nice panelling or wainscoting, too.  I have one big ol' Tallow log that I haven't sawed yet.  The powder post beetles love the stuff. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

if it be the same ting as china berry, i think brashy is t he right word, assuming that means brittle. dries pretty good, but tends to split along the growth rings as do a lot of afast growing trees. Pretty wood, in the same family as mahogony. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DanG

All that is true about Chinaberry, Lee, but they ain't the same tree. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!