iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buckeye?

Started by Qweaver, September 13, 2006, 07:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Are buckeyes good for sawing and making lumber?  We have two large ones that have to be cut.  So is it saw wood or fire wood?

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

John Edie

It makes great carving wood. Any carvers in your area?
Sawdust

metalspinner

Spalted buckeye is extremly beautiful.  The root ball and burl sections will bring top dollars real quick from turner types (me ;D).  I haven't seen lumber from buckeye but that doesn't mean anything. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

I've turned some and it tends to be soft like boxelder. I've never seen any boards.....but you can send us pics.... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

woodbeard

I just happen to be in the middle of making paneling for my kitchen ceiling out of buckeye, so here's a pic of the boards with a coat of finish on them:

As you can see, it is a very bright white color. Very fine grain, too. Cant see it too well in the pic, but buckeye tends to have areas with a very subtle curly figure.
I had a heck of a time cutting the stuff on the swingmill, because the fibers would fluff up in the cut and rub against the blade, especially around knots and such. It behaved better with the bandmill.
I doubt it would make very good firewood, so I would suggest sawing it.  ;D

deadeye

is there another name for buckeye?  never heard of that kind of wood

Qweaver

That really looks good woodbeard!  I'm going to panel between my exposed rafters and that light color might work really well.  Does it machine well after it is dry?  I plan on making T&G.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

KGNC

Some good info on buckeye trees here.buckeyes

woodbeard

As long as you keep your cutters real sharp, it machines well. Otherwise you get fuzzy edges.

ducknutt

we obviously have the red buckeyes here in mississippi....the small shrub type...

"Some are medium-large trees, but others, including the Red Buckeye (Aesculus pavia) of the southeastern United States, never become bigger than large shrubs. "
If God is your co-pilot, You're sitting in the wrong seat

Qweaver

I have two trees to cut.  One is @ 28" dia. and the other is @ 22" so they will make a heap of lumber.

Quinton

Luckyfarmer

Doin't waste your time cutting for firewood.  Buckeye will not burn good 8)

jkj

A local sawyer cuts buckeye.  I bought some 2x8s from him one time, air dried, and used it for turning small bowls.  If I remember correctly, he sold it at the same price as cherry - about $2/bdft.

Beautiful stuff, brown flecks throughout, spectacular if figured.  Very light weight, soft and easily damaged, cuts easily, takes care to prevent tearout.  I think it would be great for making many things, but not where high strength or resistance to dents is needed.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

GlennG

Quote from: deadeye on September 14, 2006, 07:52:38 AM
is there another name for buckeye?  never heard of that kind of wood

I think in some regions they also call Buckeye, " Horse Chestnut "

Glenn

jkj

I read about one use for buckeye: to make artificial limbs because it is light, resists splitting, and is easily worked.  Do you have an artificial limb manufacturing company nearby? :)
LT-15 for farm and fun

Thank You Sponsors!