iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's so nice!

Started by Paul_H, September 13, 2006, 04:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I just finished setting the planer up for a Birch floor and the wind started up and the Cottonwood trees in full sail were throwing branches through the air.Then I heard the sound of lightning in the distance as I was packing up to head home.

I got home and fought to get the big Green tarp back over the pile of firewood on the trailer(it was winning and Carla's money was on the tarp but I persevered and won out)
The thunder was loud and close and the rain had just started when I went into the house for lunch.The Dog was hiding under the couch in the family room and then the sky opened up with small hail which turned to rain after 10 minutes but continued to come straight down fast and furious.
It slowed down some but is still pouring rain,giving the ground a much needed soaking and the air a good cleaning and cooling.It's been two months of dry hot weather,maybe we'll get back logging again soon. 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds like FALL is in the air, EH ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

Yeah,there is fresh snow on Mt Currie and I just lit the woodstove for the first time since Spring.Thanksgiving is less than a month away.I enjoyed the Summer,we've another week or so of it but I'm looking forward to Autumn  :)

Norm

Me too Paul. :)

It was 43F this morning when we walked to work, no breeze to speak of so very pleasant. The corn is drooping ears and the beans are turning color, I like the long days of summer but fall is my favorite. Bowhunting is only one month away.

Don P

Same here, rain day, been bumming around the house, lit the woodstove this morning and have had a little fire all day. We noticed the rustle in the leaves was different this past week. One of those tropical islands might be nice for awhile but I like the change of seasons. My opinion might change in a few months  :D.

Furby

Getting sick of the rain!
Two days driving almost totally in the rain, plus a heavy storm the day before.

Besides that, my driveway is soup. :-\

getoverit

It has cooled off a bit here too, with the highs in the 80's during the day... I actually got to fire up the bandmill yesterday and saw a few logs ;)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Frank_Pender

Get a big fan and keep the rain there  for another month and a half.  I have a half million feet of timber to remove her on the Tree Farm.  You can keep the hail as well, Paul.
Frank Pender

sawguy21

I am glad to see the nights cooling off. Summer is great but I'm happy to see the season change
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stephen_Wiley

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Patty

I love the fall weather too, Paul. The gardening is pretty much done and harvest time is close.  8)   We noticed the ash and maple trees are just starting to turn, and flocks of birds are gathering to head south for the winter. My flower beds are giving us their last horah for the year, the red salvias, the pink and coral impatients, my flamboyant hibiscus, and all the pretty mums are in full bloom.

Harvest time in Iowa is a very exciting time. The farmers are pulling out all their  equipment readying it for work. Those combines and wagons get bigger every year. I am looking forward to the flies and gnats moving on, but next we get the pleasure of the lady bugs!  ::)

Ahhh yes, life on the farm is good.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

sawguy21

A lot of our prairie farmers have already finished combining and baling and are ready to celebrate ;D. The warm dry weather sure has taken it's toll on the reservoirs and rivers, some communities are mighty low on water and the spawning fish are struggling.

leweee

Bears just love struggling fish. ;D ;D ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sawguy21

They and the eagles are really something to watch.

Murf

Musta been one heck of a big storm, did much the same thing here, and I'm 3,000 miles east of you!!  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

tlooney

Quote from: Frank_Pender on September 13, 2006, 11:32:59 PM
Get a big fan and keep the rain there for another month and a half. I have a half million feet of timber to remove her on the Tree Farm. You can keep the hail as well, Paul.
Looks like it here after all. Frank your fan wasn't big enough. I had a pretty good soaker at the house this afternoon which was good cause it kinda cleaned out my gutters for me.
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Paul_H

It's still cold here but no rain,the fire rating dropped from extreme down to high.I brought the dried firewood that was out at the mill up to the house and Jodi has been piling it into the shed for Winter and the Geese have been heading over in a Southerly direction.
I'm still liking the cold but the weather man has been talking about the next 3 months being dry so there may be a Indian Summer in store for us out here.

That would be great too 8)

solodan

I think Frank's  fan was blowing south, cause we got a bit of a suprise rain today and a 30 degree temperature drop. I think today was just a reminder about all the things that need to get done before winter sets in.

iain

Yip the tree's here are thinking about it
lots have dropped already, but that is mostly due to stress from the long dry spell's

iain

Sprucegum

Yeah, we're getting some fall colors here but they are not as pretty as they should be - too dry.

Funny I'm complaining about it being dry when I got soaked walking home tonight  :D

pappy

Our garden is all done... we've been getting killing frost for about two weeks now  ::)... The potato farmers are saying a bumper crop and the foliage is around 50 percent now.. should be good leaf peepin' the week or so... Supposed to be in the mid 70's for the weekend  8)  8) one last BBQ with friends fa sho  :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!