iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lifting, scooting, winching & rolling ....... Changing for the better

Started by woodbowl, September 12, 2006, 02:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

How much unnecessary unking do you do? I'm just about unked out!  >:(

For years I've always parked the mill beside the log pile and rolled the logs to the mill with a cant hook. Not a big deal for small log piles, but when you roll a big wonker sided log that wants to gain on the wrong end from way across over yonder somewhere, the only choice left is to get all tuckered out and wrestle it to the mill or  move the mill to the log. Either way time, energy, money and a good mood have been lost.

Remember the PTO driven winches on short wood trucks? Pulpwood seemed to jump into the bunk in the hands of a good operator. Some of you still have them.

What I'm getting at, is the idea for a faster winch, located in the center of the mill, that has tongs and a pig tail control. As the log pile gets further and further away, it would be nice to be able to pull the next logs over some 2 X's and have them waiting at the mill rather than taking time to roll a group of  logs. Some logs need to be turned as well. Repositioning the grabs a few times seems to be a small price to pay in order to move a problem log where it needs to be.

Electric winches are too slow and can eat up battery reserve. A hydraulic or gear driven winch seems to be what's needed, I'm just not sure what is availible for this application. It may could be stored it at the end of the mill, then rolled it on it's own trolly and small gas engine supply to a series of station points to hook to.

What kind of small gear driven units are availible and have enough power to pull 600-800 lbs of dead weight at the rate of one foot per second or more?

Anyone got some fresh ideas to aid this small portable sawmill dilemma? Pics please if you've got them.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Modat22

Park a truck real close to the mill jack the truck up and take a tire off. Use the rim as a capscan winch.

Honestly though, i knew an older fella that made a really nice fast winch from a dana rear end from a chevy truck that was really nice and strong. Powered by the tractor PTO.
remember man that thy are dust.

Larry

Lotta old winches out there for short money that could be powered with a small gas engine.

Put a picture of one on this thread that ended up on a trailer and gets frequent use.

Long linky

600-800 pounds ain't much...bet you could build one that would work.  Another idea that I've seen work is using an old roto-tiller.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

4woody

a good boat winch and a good 1/2 bat drill will work just take the handel off put drill on

DanG

Woodbowl, m'boy, git yer karkass over here.  I got somethin' to show ya. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

4woody

timcosby

dang how bout pics?????   we are a currious bunch when provocked.

woodbowl

Quote from: DanG on September 13, 2006, 12:04:09 AM
Woodbowl, m'boy, git yer karkass over here.  I got somethin' to show ya. ;D

What kind of new fangled invention have you got over there now? I don't know how this week will pan out, got to play it by ear. I'll let you know.

timcosby, I know where your at, your just a hop, skip and a jump over younder about a hundred miles or so. We got to hook up one of these days.

4woody, where are you at? Ga can't be that far.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Aww, I was just picking at Woodbowl.  It's almost as much fun as picking at Customsawyer. ;D :D

I was just gonna remind him how easy it is to parbuckle a big ugly log onto the mill with a truck-mounted winch.  He's been threatening to come over for a playday for a while now.  We both have some ideas on how to speed things up, and want to try some of them out together.  We been tossing a lot of PMs back and forth, but there ain't nothin' like bein' face to face at the mill. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

woodbowl

Left Coast Chris

Idea 1)   Oh......... to have a small all terrain fork lift........now that would be something ($$$). :( 

Idea 2)   If you have a standard 3 point lift on a tractor it can do quite a bit ....  especially if you are only talking about 800 lbs.  My Massey Ferguson 135 diesel (around 40hp) can lift those smaller logs with a brush rake (5' long giant pitch fork that is made out of 2x2x3/16 tube) hooked up to the three point hitch.   If I can't lift em.... I shove and roll em....... if the're too big to shove and rool I get the tractor on the other side of the mill and pull them with a looped cable fastened the the mill  (parbuckle??).........up the ramps onto the deck... it works pretty good for us back woods sawyers. ;D
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

theonlybull

out camping last week, there was an old guy sawin' at the campground.  a quick chat with him, and he showed me that he had mounted an atv winch on the front of the mill, and had a block in the middle of the bed.  he could drag them over to the mill, then winch them up 8).  he had a set of booster cables mounted to the winch, so he could use the mill battery to run it
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

woodbowl

farmer, that's the way we load, it's a chore, but gets the job done.

Being portable and not able to carry a loader is the problem that I'm confronted with. Sometimes it would be nice to just drive up to a log pile and load up with no fuss and without making extra trips for the tractor.  :-\

Buzz-sawyer

Woodbowl
How about an ole manual tranny ....powered by a 1/3 electric motor both are free or cheap...and will pull might quick :) ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woodbowl

Sounds like my kind of budget alright.   I was thinking of using a small gas motor since I'm out in the woods 95% of the time.

What kind of transmission?

You wouldn't happen to have a few pics would you?  ;D

Buzz-sawyer

I dont have any fotos...just a scematic from an old magazine...which shows a old truck or car tranny being powered by a hand crank, lifting some large payloads.......the electric motor is my contribution :D :D
The great part of it is you have a variety of pulling speeds available dependant on the weight ratio.....just shift it into 4th if ya got a real need for speed.
Practically indestructible too. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Don K

Woodbowl, I'm probably 3-4 hrs from DanG's. But hey, it's just a thing. If I ever get to come that way I'll just stay one night. I like a good adventure. :D :D 8) 8)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

woodbowl

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on September 14, 2006, 09:07:20 PM
I dont have any fotos...just a scematic from an old magazine...which shows a old truck or car tranny being powered by a hand crank,

I guess it had a seperate drum for the cable and ......... what coupled the trans to the drum?  Straight connection?  ...... A clutch?

getoverit

What about a transmission from a 6 speed lawn mower? I have one that I welded the spider gears in, and was planning on using it for a carriage feed for my first band mill. It is yours if you want it. Just need a way to power it.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

woodbowl

GOI, I think I may have one of those myself . I've got an old model craftsman and a John Deere.

What I'm wondering is .... once the load is on, how will the cable be loosened to unhook without a clutch or some way to disengage it?

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!