iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cannon Ball

Started by Dangerous_Dan, September 11, 2006, 08:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerous_Dan

Got it at the scrap yard. 5 inch diameter. Steel or cast iron.
Is this a cannon ball? or something else?

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Tom

It looks like a "shot-put".  Depending on the age of the athlete they will weigh from 8 to 16, 23 or 25 pounds.  It may have a manufacture name on it or a figure showing its weight.  If that is what it is, it is an accurately measured sport item.

I've also seen iron balls like that used in town hall clocks.  Most of them are in the 30 pound range or more though.

UNCLEBUCK

Dangerous Dan , you have one of the most sought after Honda bikes sitting behind your shotput . Way cool !  8) 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Dangerous_Dan

That Honda CT 70 is a great little bike. (1971 almost all original)
I'm actually only the second owner and I have the title for it.
I have it currently insured and registered for street use.

So it's a shot-put not cannon ball? Hmm. Cannon ball sounds more my speed -Dangerous.
I was hoping it was a cannon ball so I could start looking for a cannon next to go with it.
Who's got a cannon?
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Tom

Is there a weight or other identifying marks on it?

It would take a hefty cannon to loft that rascal.  :D

Ralph_C

I think it is a ball for a ball mill that grinds ore.

CHARLIE

This is a bearing out of a wheel bearing for one of those huge dump trucks they use in strip coal mining. ;D And that's the truth! :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

getoverit

Now I know what happened to my brass monkey last winter :O
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Ron Wenrich

I have some cannon balls that are a lot smaller than that.  Mine were found outside the Cornwall foundry in Cornwall, PA.  That foundry had made cannon balls back during the Revolutionary War and probably the Civil War.  Mine can fit in the palm of your hand, so it was a much smaller gun.

But, I wouldn't see why it couldn't be.  Try your local museum or a good antique dealer.  If all else fails, maybe we'll se you on History Detectives.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

asy

When I was a kid I always wanted my own shot put.

I used to throw shot for the school team, and javelin, discus and high jump.

I used to practice with half a brick in the back yard. :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Mr Mom

My freind was trying to build a cannon...i wounder if he is done?? Have to stoop over to see.

Thanks alot Mr Mom.

SwampDonkey

I have no idea what it is, but it would be interesting if it were a cannon ball just the same.  8) :) There are several towns here that have WWI cannons from Germany. I dunno why, but maybe they were taken when Canadian soldiers won battles over there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TW

The standard sizes of round cannonballs were 1,2,4,6,8,12,18,24,36 and 48 pounds weight. There were even none standard cannons used in some armies and navies. US navy did use cannonballs that were slightly oversize fom the nominal weight, during some period.

That is all I know about the subject

Tom

That was pretty smart, wasn't it?  ;D

The enemy couldn't collect them off of the battlefield or ship decks and shoot them back.  They wouldn't fit.  :D :D

Bro. Noble

Some of them were hollow and were filled with explosives.  Those had a threaded plug.  You might want to look for this in yours.  If it won't come out, use rust reaper,  not a torch :o :o :o :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin_H.

I dont know about any one else, but I got one of those on my wedding nite, cept mine had a chain on it?

Could be that someone chewed though the chain.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Patty

Kevin, I am guessing your wife doesn't read the forum!  :D :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

asy

Either that, Patty, or, he runs REAL fast.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

KGNC

You've gotthe cannon Ball, might as well build the cannon. Here is a web site of how to do it.
Cannon

johncinquo

Probably a grinder ball.  My dad worked at a cement making place one time and we used to go hang out at the shop.  The balls would start out about 3 ft across and they rolled them around inside a huge tub that was angled up into the air grinding and crushing the big blocks of rock and whatever makes cement up.   After awhile they would wear away and come out the end shoot.   They had 1000s of them in metal drums stacked up all over.  We asked real nice, and the shop guy said sure we could have some.   My brother and I were real selective and picked through the barrels a long time and took about 3-4 each.  We put our new treasurers in the back of the pick-up, where all great things go to be transported home. 

When dad hit the brakes at the first stop sign and those balls slammed into the back of the truck bed, we thought we were gonna get tossed out into the ditch!   Scared the bees out of all of us.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D :D Did you tell your dad they were there before this happened?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kevin_H.

Lynette has a great sence of humor, and when she has the oppertunity she will pay me back.  :o
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

johncinquo

Of course not!  We were busy going to see what else we could explore. 

The shop foreman told us to go out and check all the horns on the semis to make sure they were all working properly.  A 12 and 13 year old boy can be entertained for hours climbing into trucks and yanking the horns and then racing to the next one.  The dispatchers were'nt too keen on us though.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Onthesauk

Anyone here from Colorado?  Have heard stories about the the cannons they build up there to shoot bowling balls.  Tow them behind pickups.  Have contests.  Apparently have a range of about a mile.

Have a good friend who has a cousin there who has one.  He said his last visit he started to worry because the cousin was talking about aiming this thing straight up to see how high he could shoot it.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

leweee

:D :D :D Run Forest Run  :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!