iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reviving a log cabin !

Started by UNCLEBUCK, September 11, 2006, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Built a log cabin 20 some odd years ago and alot of the exterior never got stained and some of the the sides exposed to the northwest wind and rain and snow had only one coat of sikkens so......

After 20 years plus I found the time and money to finish as it was eating away on me to watch something you worked hard on go ugly .

Rented a pressure washer and took 14 hours of holding it 4 inches away from the logs and watched it cut away and do its magic , empty robins nests on every corner got blown away, spiders and moths are no more, the hardest thing to cut off the logs with the 2500 psi sprayer was the old sikkens stain from over 20 years ago .

The cedar 1x12 fascia was almost black and grey in color as it had never received any stain at all but after one pass with the pressure washer it was gold in color .

Will be showing alot of before washing and after sikkens stain as I am going on the 5th five gallon pail of stain . No need to comment unless you wish to but just thought I would show what Norway Pine logs looked like after 20 plus years of nothing. These logs came off of the Echo Trail in the boundary waters canoe area about 1983?

Should have peeled a little deeper instead of leaving alot the cambium layer on but I think thats what saved my hind end as it helped shed water . I got lucky ,no rot anywhere .

I am a firm believer in Sikkens Stains especially after cutting the hide off these logs with the pressure washer .  Many pics to come and will be taking you inside as well .
Its getting cool here now for september and my window of opportunity is narrow to finish the exterior . Stain is being applied with just one Ace hardware 6 inch paint brush but my hands are getting tired !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

pappy

Buck,

I'm tired aready  :o  :o  :o  :o WOW what a big job !!!!

kinda know what use be doin'!!!  Jen and I have been stain' our out back shacks as "I call em"  ;) and ya gotta take off dat  ole scumm foist  ;)

WELL, WELL WORTH THE EFFORT for that log cabin !!!! DOUBLE WOW REALLY REALLY NICE LOG CABIN TA SAY DA LEAST shhhhh hope me weren't spoken 2 strongly...  How would Asy or Iain say it "Good on ya Mate !!!!"
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Stephen1

Buck,  that is nice. the logs did not look to bad before the wash, but it sure looks nice with that stain. my wife loves that colour. Which Sikkens stain is it and which colour. I am leaning towards the sikkens also. Did you apply anything different to the ends of the logs.
I have been waiting to trim my ends untill I figure out what to put on the end grain
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks pappy & Stephen ,  I have used other brands of stains on other projects and there is none that can even come close to Sikkens as when it drys it creates a thin hide of its own almost like end sealer or a clear silicone caulking that never cracks or gets brittle and flakes off or makes the wood turn crappy dark in color.  After assembling a cabin I run a very thin bead of clear silicone caulking down all the outside laterals and around notches even if they are razor tight . I could not blow the silicone caulking out of the laterals with 2500 psi sprayer and that silicone was over 20 years old and you have to look very close to even know its there. Its just nice to know your airtight in the winter even with sill seal in the laterals .

I use Sikkens Cetol 1 & color is 078 and it is also used on the ends of the log , let the first coat soak in for a day and hit it again as many times as you need to but if you fresh cut your ends you can hit them with a big disc sander so they are smooth . Hopefully you wont open up a view to the flyway lateral when you trim the ends but there is a million ways to hide a boo boo  . ;D

If one really wanted to make wood shine just follow Jeff B the bear hunters threads on Sikkens application here somewhere. I am just going with one coat of Cetol 1 as it is very expensive .

No pictures today but should have some before and afters tomorrow night .

Your log cabin is looking real good Stephen and I bet you are excited to get your tin on !  pappy he is a cabin man way up there in gods country . There is getting to be quite a few of the log scriber peoples on here now and its fun to read and look at pictures of everyones adventures .  Keep up the beautiful work and get some smoke chuggin out the top ! U.B.

isawlogs

Hey Buck , that sure is some nice looking log work you did there ...  You did good to revive the logs , I am sure that you will be happy to be looking at it for some time now .

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

UncleBuck
That is a nice looking cabin. Love the finish.  For Hunting?

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks marcel , today was definately a goofy day as my friends from Arkansas stopped by to say goodbye for the season and they noticed all my sikkens buckets sitting around and they put sikkens on their new cedar sided house and said within 6 years the south side turned black and bubbled  ??? so I guess nothing is bullet proof !

Having a hard time bringing the logs on the south side to life as they seem sun beat a bit more so am putting 2 coats on the south . Getting sick of staining thats for sure but cant give up , its the ladder stuff that poops me out faster . The weather is good but going to change by friday night so I will make it . Thought I would show a picture of a purlin on the south side that has what I call a "porcupine scratch" on it . Lots of logs had this and I tried to keep them inside the cabin to look at but on this log I faced it down a bit to shed water and to look at when walking towards the doors .

I must have been crazy or very gullable in my younger days to get wrapped up in my dads big adventures as I remember the 6 big log trucks pulling in the yard from Ely Minnesota at 7 am around the first week in march 1983? , loaded heavy and everyone was so happy that we were finally going to get out of the old farmhouse and move into a new home in a just a few months  ??? . 167 norway pine logs ranging from 75 foot down to 40 foot big fat ones for floor joists . We fed all the truckers in the old farmhouse and and away they went .

This was only the beginning  :D  20 some years later I am finally taking the arm saw and table saw off of the south side upper porch  :D  But atleast its finally coming to a close .  :)

Corley5

It was a bittersweet moment when I had to move the tablesaw out of my house to finish the floors :(  It's never been the same.  Went from being my clubhouse, hangout spot to a home  ;) ;D :)  Your restoration is looking good!  When you're done you can come down and refinish my white pine tongue and groove siding  ;) ;D  Next spring will be alright 8) ;D  You can check out what's needed when you come over this fall  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

That's a great project UB, looking forward to more pictures as time permits. I hear we're going to get a big cold front coming down, sounds like you're going to get it much earlier than us.

I redid our wrc siding at our other house this summer. The first pressure washer was a 4000psi, you had to be careful but boy would it cut the gunk off the siding. It died and used a 2000psi one to finish with, there was no comparison. I used sikkens cetol srd in the 077 color.

I cheated and bought an airless sprayer. ;D

Patty

Wow! Your cabin is beautiful, Buck.  8)

I bet you are proud to have been a part of the original building project all the way to caring for it 20 years later. Is this where you live?

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

asy

WOWWEE!!  It's a bloody beauty!   8) 8) 8)

Pity I'm all the way over here, I like painting. I'd have happilly helped out :D

It looks just gorgeous, can't WAIT to see the photos of inside.

How does that high ceiling go in winter? Does it make it cold inside?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

scsmith42

Unk - cool cabin and a great story.  The craftsmanship really comes through in your photo's - nice job!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks Patty, asy,scsmith,mooseherder,Norm, Corley !

Norm,Interesting to know a airless sprayer would pump this , wow that would be a time saver for sure , I think I would rent one next time as this is just slow going now .

Norm,I bet 4000 psi would be awesome , the one I rented had a 5.5 Honda gas motor and I was impressed but boy the things I learn after doing it the hard way  :D

asy,The high ceiling in winter has a few ceiling fans that hang down with big propellers that slowly move the air . The whole house gets heated with free firewood in the basement fireplace and the heat just slowly penetrates through the wood floors and is even heat . In a few days asy I will be turning into alpaca man  ;D

Corley, bittersweet is the exact word for this crisis I am having to face now just like you did  :D I look forward to a working vacation sometime helping you process firewood or whatever is needed and then I can watch you come flying by with that big iron mule !

I know one thing is for certain ? Whoever invented vinyl siding was a genius  8)

Tomorrow afternoon I be done ! airless sprayer imagine that  ::)

asy

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on September 14, 2006, 06:53:07 PM
In a few days asy I will be turning into alpaca man  ;D

Photos please. ;)

scsmith42

Unk,

In addition to an airless sprayer, using a "turbo nozzle" http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_271_271) on the pressure washer will cut the cleaning time in half.

They are a little bit pricy but I can literally saw a hole through a board with the one I have.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raphael

Quote from: asy on September 14, 2006, 11:46:00 PM
Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on September 14, 2006, 06:53:07 PM
In a few days asy I will be turning into alpaca man  ;D
Photos please. ;)

Definately, need photos!  How many alpaca are are you getting?  Any Suris?
We'd love to have some here, we figure we can squeeze in about a half dozen plus a guard Llama.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

UNCLEBUCK

My alpaca distributor is in australia and her name is asy  ;D  Raphael I couldnt afford just one alpaca for the farm here as they are very pricey but I sure thought about it and checked it out .  The photos will be of me modeling my new alpaca winter wear from asy  ;D

I aint doin nuttin on the cabin today except cleaning up my mess between rainshowers but it is nice to see the rain bead up and run off the new hide on these logs . Very glad I did it and was worth the effort . This sikkens is very hard to clean up , I been scrubbin and a scrubbin but my arms have taken on the nice norwegian tan look of 078  8)

asy

hehe...  :)

Raphael, you need to have a look at THIS POST.

all will be explained.

Raphael

I'd forgotten you had sent him "The Box".
PreKnit alpaca is always a good thing, my new natural black alpaca sweater is still a large bag of rovings.  :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

UNCLEBUCK

Pics from today of the sikkens job. Enough of this , I am going logging until last day of october and then I show pics inside throughout da winter ! My dog whitey just had to get in the picture.  :D

asy

Oh my GOSH.

That's just about the most gorgeously magnificent cabin I've ever seen ANYWHERE.

I sure wish I could see it in person.

One day.

At least with the Sikkens coat it'll still be there now!!!

Corley5

That looks great 8) 8) 8)  We didn't see that side of the cabin.  Come on down you can go flying around on the Mule ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

dundee

Now that's something!!--I share Buck's comments as well

Richard

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sawguy21

That is what you call a log cabin? :o Sure looks good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!