iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

yellow jacket

Started by limbrat, September 10, 2006, 10:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

I knew they ate meat but i didnt know how predatory they were. I was under a big leaf magnola today and a luna moth almost fell on me. I looked at it and there was a yellow jacket bowed up and given it hell. Every time the moth tried to leave the wasp would jump on its head and start biting and stinging. After a minute or so the moth lost out before it even stopped moving the yellow jacket was pulling fur and starting a picnic. I came back a hour or so later and the moth didnt have a head or leggs. That big old white luna was probably 15 times the size of the wasp but the wasp had a lot more heart and appitite.
ben

Texas Ranger

As a kid in the country I used to watch my granddad catch and skin a small fish, then hang it over a bucket of water.  Yellow jackets, and some other wasps, would feed till they fell off, into the bucket, and drowned.  that was before aerosol sprays.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

solodan

About 4 years ago I cut the head off a five foot rattle snake and grilled it. I only ate about a foot of it cause it was already midnight and I wasn't really all that hungry. I threw the other four feet out by a big ponderosa about 40 feet from the deck. In the morning I went out to take care of that snake carcass , but the meat bee's were already all over it . Now I'm not talkin about a few , I'm talkin bout 100 or so. So I decide to leave it alone for awhile. Well I go out back about 45 minutes later and all the bees are gone, and so is every  bit of flesh on that snake. The bones were all that were left, and it looked as if they had been cleaned and polished. :o

rebocardo

This sounds like the beginning of a Sci-Fi channel scary movie. I don't think they have covered yellow jackets yet   ;)

The fish and bucket sounds like a good idea, even better with soapy water.

solodan

We  usually just use any piece of meat, but something with alot of oil is best. I like to cut the top off a plastic bottle and push a skewer threw it with a piece of salami or something on it just over the water level. That way they have fly down into the bottle, but will never be able to fly up once the've had their feast. 8) When it gets bad around her you can kill hundreds an hour this way, plus they usually leave you alone long enough for you to eat you're dinner.

Thank You Sponsors!