iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dovetail jig

Started by jayzee, September 09, 2006, 11:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdust

Firecord if you want to post the dimensions of the timbers you are using I will give you the numbers you need to draw a dovetail on your wood. If you have a fax PM me your fax number and I will send a sketch.

I need to if you are building a chinker how much gap you want and what angle you wish to use on the joint.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

jpgreen

You would think these things were made out of gold for what they want for them..  ::)

I would like a jig myself, but will have to build one also.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

LedlieLogs

Ya it might be $30.00 worth of steel the first time you try it. It might be less the next ten times aswell. What is your time worth. Send your $600.00 on in and start cutting perfect dovetails. I'm poor and weld ok, but I stink at math. Sent in my money and am very pleased with the dovetail jig I bought. Going to send my part to the forum on payday so everyone will be happy. I know I am. Thanks Sawdust, best money I ever spent, even if I did have to knock the dust off those old crusty bills I sent ya. Will post pics in a couple of weeks when I get some more time at the mill.
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

firecord

Thanks Sawdust
I was offering  to draw for others.  I know, I have a book in my collection that describes the math.  I was just too lazy to look. 
On the other note:
Rich people don't get rich by spending money needlessly.  If I can build something myself I do.   My point was, this is a simple device to fabricate. Why shell out the $600 to $1600 cost if you can build for less than $50.

I see your point LedlieLogs. Yet I am confident in my ability to satisfy my desire for first rate  reproduction Craftsmanship.

sawdust

Thank you for the support Ledlie! I was not happy even with the 20th prototype i built.

LOGDOG

Firecord,

How's that homemade bandmill coming? Got your trees down and milled into cabin logs yet?

LOGDOG

LedlieLogs

Firecord, I hope I did not offend, was not my intention. I to have to build most everything I own. Work on my cars and trucks all the time because there old. I just don't want to make that payment every month. I definately see your point about spending money needlessly. I really try not to do that. Without a doubt your skills are not in question here. The thing with jigs is the square factor. If your out a little on the first corner then by the last corner it is compounded four fold. This can usually be somewhat corrected with some hand trimming. Just takes a little extra time on each course. I thought the price was worth it to not have to figure it out in the long run. After receiving the jig I can say, it ain't rocket science. I will probably want one for 8 X 10 cants next. I will still make the purchase to avoid the learning curve. Wish I had the skills to do it myself. Wtih a chainsaw mill every cant comes at a high price as far as labor is concerned. I looked at the jigs in Tennessee, Montana and Canada. Every one was nice, some nicer than others. They all are nice, homemade is real nice.
Still friends I hope,
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

firecord

No Not at all offended!  I have very thick skin and every one has a point. 
Logdog
As for the mill, head is done but disasembled for painting.  Will post photo's soon.  As for track/trailer/bed, waiting for more $ for metal.   I have finnished the house pad and need to let it settle.  Built up 2000sgft pad  4ft high with my wore out ford 801.  Have bought plans to build 2300sqft Timber Frame instead of log.  Lurking in here has really inspired me.  The look of you guys work is increadable.  As I will be building mine from scratch with wood I cut, I can only hope it turns out 1/2 as nice.  I have found some pallets with 6X8 runners that I am going to practice cutting joinery on.  I still have a long way to go.
firecord
Ricky

LedlieLogs

Ricky I did not know that you were building your own mill. I'm glad LogDog let the cat out of the bag. I have been thinking about that same thing. Now in the process of collecting parts and steel. How nice it would be to cut lumber with something I made. Just a few questions for you. How long will it be, how long can you cut? How many hp? Are you building your own blade guides or going to buy those? Are you going with metal band wheels or tires? Manual or power driven head, track and loading? Can't wait to see the pics. Good luck with project.
Ledlie

LedlieLogs

Had a chance to cut a few dovetails on Sunday night. These are Red Oak I think. I will be building with Loblolly Pine but the Oak was next up on the log deck so it got the call. The jig did just as advertisied. The saw I choose is underpowered for the oak but may be ok for the pine. The corners look great to me but I'm not a builder. The jig looks very simple but the angles must be perfect. All in all I love it. Could you make it at home? Yes you could. Getting it right on the first or second try, not likely. Have at it fellows and keep us up to date on how you do, Good Luck. Thanks to Sawdust for the great jig.

jokers

Those joints look great Ledlie! I just ranted in another thread about the price of the GN dovetailor but it looks like Sawdust`s jig does just as nice a job for 1/3 the cost. I`m not against giving a man fair compensation and maybe even a little bit more as long as I don`t feel violated. You`ve got me thinking about the jig that you are using.

Thanks for posting the pics!

LOGDOG

Nice job Ledlie! What size log is your jig set up for? And with what size gap? Looks like an inch gap maybe? How long did it take you to do all those joints?

LOGDOG

Jeff

Quote from: sawdust on February 28, 2007, 10:28:05 PM

If this starts up I'm going to have to talk to Jeff about becoming a sponsor!

I might be talked into a trade. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawdust

Long as your not in a rush! I'm back to work full time on the ambulance as of this morning!

I know these things are expensive. I'm not getting rich either. The fancy plastic for the slides is 100.00/square foot, before the machining.

LedlieLogs

Thanks for the kind words guys. This jig is a way better price than the GN jig but the GN jig comes with a new chainsaw. I already own chainsaws so I did not want to buy another one. I did order the video from GN and there jig does look nice though. I have heard that it will move if not very, very tight on the log. The Sawdust jig don't move at all. The logs I'm using are 6 X 8. My mill is a chainsaw mill and is not perfect if I get in a hurry so the gap may vary and eighth or so. It is set up for 1.25" gap and is dead nuts if my logs are. I can cut a corner in about three minutes if my logs are cut to length first. However I don't get in a hurry. By the time I'm ready to cut a dovetail there is already a lot of labor in that log so I go slow and make sure I do it right. It is simple and easy the way sawdust set it up. I will buy another jig from Sawdust when I get ready to with 8 X 10 logs. After you cut some corners and have a cold beverage looking at your work the price ain't much I assure you. Also if you get a minute check out Sawdust other inventions. The guy is saving lives and making the world safer for us and our childeren. Heck of a fellow if you ask me.
Jeff, make that trade you will be happy.
I'm glad this forum is here for me to find this jig and all the other great ideas that come from it.
Good luck yall,
Ledlie

Bro. Noble

I too have been eyeing jigs for a long time.  I ordered the GN video and feel any novice thinking about buildig a covetail cabin would find it money well spent.  The jig is a lot more expensive than sawdusts.  Sawdust has been a good member for a long time and hasn't tried to toot his own horn,  so my order will go to him if I ever get a little spare cash and time :D :D

Do you suppose a guy could sell notched cabin logs to 'do-it-yourselfers'  kinda like big lincoln logs?------to be used for storage buildings and  playhouses.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

LedlieLogs

Around my neck of the woods we don't call lincoln logs, we call them LEDLIE LOGS.

LOGDOG

Ledlie,

Did you happen to take any pics of your jig? Maybe in use with saw attached? I think more than one of us would like a glimpse at that.  :)

LOGDOG

LedlieLogs

Will get that pic this week. Maybe Wed. or Thurs.

LOGDOG

Bump ....pics please. ;D

LOGDOG

LedlieLogs

Sorry Logdog. I do try to be on time when I can. I did not really want to mention this on the forum, but my wifes granddaddy has cancer is near the end of his time on this earth. I really love this guy. A sawyer all his life. Lives in a home he built off of his mill 60 something years ago. The only one in the family who told me to buy a mill, whatever it takes to get it, it will be worth it he said. He wants to die in the home he built and I am determined to see that it happens as he wishes. The rest of the family ain't so sure. One of the last times he came outside in his wheelchair was to see my little mill in action. I set it up right in his front yard and went to cutting. He held a piece of that lumber all day.
Any way the pics are coming soon I promise. Did not mean to bring everyone down. Just part of life that we all must face.
Ledlie

LOGDOG

Hey Ledlie,

Totally understand. Just went through similar circumstances with my wife's dad. He's gone now.  :'( Good ole guy. We still think about him and how he made us laugh. Make the most of your time with her granddad. And as tough as it gets remember they still are conscious of far more than they seem to be so be positive for him and comfort him. Tell him about those fancy dovetails you've been makin'. He'll get a kick out of it. Keep us posted.

Our best,
LOGDOG

Don P

Alot of us know exactly where you're coming from. I'm sure that gave him a real good feeling, to see you milling and to hold another fresh sawn board. It's a memory in you too  :).

sawdust

Hey Ledlie, no need to apologize about bringing anybody down.

I have always thought dying is like graduating. You learned what you came for and moved on.
My two bits, say hi for joan and i.

sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!