iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm waiting... 3 months and counting!

Started by JCam, September 08, 2006, 11:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCam

Ordered a TimberKing 1220 20hp three months ago. Hope I get a call that it's shipping sometime soon. Anyone else have to wait like this, it's torture.
I cut 5 cottonwoods this week into 5' lengths for sticker wood, desperation is setting in.

These are red pine, 8" to 14" dia., .... getting tired of waiting for that saw. There's another 300 or so lying around out back.

Should I go out and buy the first saw I find or continue the vigil?
Wood-Mizer LT40G25, a tractor, and a couple of chainsaws.

brdmkr

Jcam,

Welcome to the forum!  That is quite a whack of logs you have there 8)

Waiting on a mill is tough.  Have you heard a ship date? 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

JCam

When I ordered it the salesman told me 11-13 weeks and probably not that long. I called him Wednesday, he said they're backordered on clutches! No set ship date at this time. I'm running out of string and about to do something rash. There's a guy down the road three miles who's just put in a new Woodmizer and his old one is sitting outside. He said he was selling it to his brother but it's been sitting... maybe he'll sell.

Shawn

I looked into buying a lumbermate (norwood). They told me I could pick it up or have it shipped in a couple days. Thats crazy to drop that kind of cabbage and wait. just right down the road in Indiana.

Shawn
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

JCam

I looked at the Norwood 2000, Woodmizer LT15, and a few others, settled on the TimberKing 1220. Went down to the Lansing area to run one and was won over.

TimberKing gave me Roberts number and he had us down to help mill some cherry logs.
He showed us how to flat and quarter saw. Also showed me how to fold and unfold a blade.
Then I saw this,

and put in my order.
Anyway, I think I'm going to try and talk Neighbor John into selling me his old Woodmizer.

thecfarm

I just want to welccome you to the forum.It's too bad you have to wait.Maybe the wait will be worth it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. By the look at that whack of logs I would say that you ain't one to waste much daylight. Good luck in what ever you decide.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tcsmpsi

Waiting sometimes happens.  Just recently went through the process, myself.

Every day you don't have it, is a day closer to when you will.  I had stacks of logs waiting and 'setbacks' from the mfr, as well. 

If that's the mill you really want, and the deal you made, just hang in there.  It'll come together.

Neat looking stack, by the way. 

Backorders on things happen.  I have parts and products that have been on backorder for....well, a long time.   I know that explaining that to my customers is not an easy thing, and end up being rather 'matter of fact' about it. 

I am sure that TimberKing is doing everything possible to get your mill to you.

Welcome to the forum.  I had seen your logs in photo gallery and wondered when you were going to post.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

scsmith42

JC, if your heart's set on the Timberking, why not talk with your neighbor about borrowing or renting his unused woodmizer until your timberking comes in?  That way you can start sawing, and your neighbor can still give/sell his old saw to his brother.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

JCam

scsmith42: He wants to sell it to me his brother backed out. We're going over to look at it this afternoon. It's a Woodmizer LT40 he bought new about nine years ago and has about 2800 hrs, he's asking $8500

tcsmpsi: I like companies and people that keep their appointments. Three months lead-time on a standard produce from an established company seem extreme almost absurd. About the lead-time between putting my first picture in the gallery and my first post. I had to read the destructions on how to put pictures into a post a couple of times to get the hang of it. I like your .375 H&H, mines a Win 70 stainless synthetic stock.

customsawyer: Thanks; I wish I had more daylight to burn.

Thanks everyone for the welcome to the form. I've been lurking for some time and have learned a lot from all you folks.

Gus

Welcome to the forum.
Waiting does get tiresome sometimes doesn't it. I've always admired the TimberKing line of mills but that wait DOES seem a bit extreme. :-\
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Kcwoodbutcher

From what I've heard they're working like gangbusters to catch up. They have just about doubled they're work force. Backordered parts always screw up the best made plans. A good product is always worth waiting for-stick with it, a few months isn't much when you'll be using the mill for years to come.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Part_Timer

The guys that order the Peterson's wait about 6 to 8 weeks for theirs.  SOMETIMES though US customs realy slows down the train though.  I think that GOI's was help up for 2 or 3 weeks or something like that.  It's real hard to swollow when your mill is setting in some dock waiting on paperwork.

It would be worth a call to them to explain what your thoughts are and see if they can conform a eta on parts if they can't tell you when it will ship then explain that your going to go another route.  It's just business.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

JCam

Well here's a photo of the LT40G25 that's going to be cutting boards for us next week 8).
Sorry, I took this as I was backing out the drive.

I'll get a better photo asap.
John spent 3 hours going over it with my son Dan and me.
He also went over his whole operation and told us he'd send his custom work our way  8).
His new LT40 Super Hydraulic, 25 hp electric motor, is bolted to the floor of his shop.
Thanks for the welcome and the comments. TimberKing is a good company John has one of their shapers and praises them, but I couldn't wait any longer.

Bibbyman

Looks like a well-kept unit.  Welcome to the Orange side.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gus

JCam

Thanks Gus and Bibbyman for the congrats and welcome to the Orange side.

John said he always had the mill under shelter and it was setup stationary. There's some rust on it now from sitting outside. I think it's cleanup nice.

Part_Timer

Nice looking machine, that wack of logs won't last long with that in the yard.  The other 300 won't last long either.

Welcome to the addiction, there is no helping ya now you'll just have to suffer with the rest of us.

And suffer we do. :D :D :D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

JCam

Part_Timer: Thanks, we start making mistakes on that wack-o-logs on Tuesday. Hope we learn enough by the time we get through them to take in custom work. John said he'd send it our way as soon as we're ready.  ;D

If we run short of logs I've got 20+ acres of woods on our 40 and my son has about six acres of standing red pine on his 10. Friend Denny has about 140 acres of woods that hasn't been touched since 1960. He's already talking about sawing up a few of his mature trees. Friend Shane has wild desires for a 36" mantel cut out of the biggest tree he can find on his brothers 120. Neighbor Art has a couple huge oaks and cottonwoods he wants taken out... they block the view of his pond. After that I've a nephew that is trying to start a tree service. So the word is getting out and we'll see what happens.
I already need more daylight.

Gus

JCam,
Sounds like you'll be rocking shortly. smiley_bounce

tcsmpsi

I know the wait.  And, had I had an immediate, viable alternative would very, very possibly have made a different decision.

Having had a 'mill in hand' as you have, your decision is quite plausible. 

Congratulations!!
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

JCam

An immediate, viable, alternative four miles away ;D that I could have had a month ago. :o  We're going to the bank to get the check and we'll be trying it out tonight or tomorrow morning.
Even if I have to do some maintenance on this Woodmizer I'll be OK with it sitting in pole barn and happy while I work on it. Looking at all the logs and trees lying around has been almost painfull.

tcsmpsi

Well, heck, you have to do maintenance on all of them.  If you use them.   :D

My original delivery date was, "6-8 weeks" when I ordered.  It was ready 14-15 weeks later.   :D

I didn't have any of those swanky, ready to go deals nearby as one so fortunate has.

At a good price, too, I might add.   ;)

Chris Burchfield

I didn't have to wait but about 30 days for my orange one, but Dang it was a long time. Course, I'd only bird dogged it and the other products out there for eighteen years. Sorry your having wait for the TK but the orange'll take the edge off till it gets there. Heck they may even become friends. :D :D :D  TK is a sponsor and I'm sure a fine product from what I've seen and read. I've been around red my whole life with the fire department. Close to retireing from there and orange kinda settles into my mentality these days, kinda like Halloween year round, which I like. Welcome to the FF.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

JCam

Well, It's a done deal. The TK is cancelled, they're sending me a check to refund the deposit. The check is cut for the Woodmizer and we pick it up tomorrow 8).

Thank You Sponsors!