iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Shot of Logs

Started by dail_h, January 05, 2003, 02:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Got my first shot of logs yesterday.  8) 8) 8)  5SYP only one small disaster all day. Ibusted a tire,&wrecked a wheel.Not too bad for one of my projects.I'llunload tomorrow and try to get the rest on Tue.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Kevin_H.

Whack o' logs = pictures
Must...Have...Pictures... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Fla._Deadheader

YEAH  ;D NEED pics. :) :) Speshally the busted parts. ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dail_h

Don't have dig camera, logs not too fresh,cut in Oct .Not quite sure about shot whack conversion.Ithink it's about one to one will have to find formular.
      Volume Discount At ER

Kevin_H.

Before I got my cheap $10.00 dig camera I would take my roll of 10 pics to walmart and get them delv. For an extra buck or two you can get them on disc.

Sounds like you might have some of that Denim Pine.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

J Beyer

If there were only five logs on the truck, they must have been some bigguns! :o :o :o
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Jeff

I just want to clear something up.
There is no such thing as a shot of logs.

This forum is whacked up not shot up.
Do I need to post whack rules again?

;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

There ya go again, "sugar coatin" it. Why don'tcha just speak yer mind ?? :D :D

Maybe the truck was a S-10 or Ford Ranger or Dodge Dakota ????
   First, it is ridiculed;

dail_h

1.Logs not too big,maybe 15 to 24 in.

2.Not sure about whack rules,everything in this part of world is measured in shot measure.Norteastern N.C.,please bare with me till  Ilearn adjust,convert.

3Truck did fine F-250FORD busted wheel was on lightweight tandem trailer I used to haul mowers on when was in mowing buisness.Logs are only 5-6ft long.They came from a treeservic  and his loader wouldnt pick up anymore
      Volume Discount At ER

J Beyer

If those tree service logs were free they are definately worth it. Like I say, free logs are better than no logs! 8) 8) 8)

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Jeff

No Problemo :)

We have to whip these out every once and awhile for da new guys. :)

Whack rules

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Dail. Feel like a family member yet?? Feel like yer brothers were pickin on ya ?? Well, Welcome to the Forum. :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

dail_h

OKguys,
Ilove a challenge.Go ahead and have your fun-just be sure the value is worth the price you have to pay.No progress yesterday,DOT was putting my bridge pipe in when I came from town.They messed with it until after I went to sleep before work,couldnt get to millyard.Snow& more rain last night at work real fun 7:30AMnow to sleep.
      Volume Discount At ER

OneWithWood

Dail_h,

Now that you have been sufficiently whacked you need to go to the member map, plant your tree and add a bio.

welcome :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Minnesota_boy

You guys talking about getting logs to saw made me decide to get out and get some for myself, so yesterday I cut and skidded out some windfalls and soon to be windfalls.  Now I would have said I got out a jag, but I know that isn't allowed and I definitely didn't get a shot of logs, but I'm not sure if I really got out a Whack of logs or if I'm just half-whacked.  I'm just a simple country boy and I need some help with the math to convert what I got to what part of a whack.  I found 6 20' logs and 3 12' logs and about a cord of 100" bolts.

My skidder.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

beenthere

MN_boy
That looks like an 8N Ford hiding under that skidder boom. At first (picture a bit grainy) the blue tarp threw me off.  Am I close? I grew up using an 8N Ford with logging tongs on the 3pt to take out logs, and it worked very well for 8' logs, some oak up to near 30" diam small end. Required a couple extra hands to sit (hang) on the front for hood ornaments with the big ones and a steep incline.

Is there a winch in there somewhere?  What amount of weight do you have on the front end of that rig?  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Mn-boy, if I unnerstand the WHACK rule kerreckly, what you have there is a gin-u-wine WHACK.  If them was my logs, an they was fat ones, I'd probably stretch the bunch of'em into 2 WHACKS. If they're skinny, though, you otter probly be content to just call it a WHACK. Any way you slice it, draggin' in that many logs is a DanG fine day's work.

I like the boom on yer tractor, but how do you keep the front-end on the ground?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Minnesota_boy

That's a Ferguson TO-30 under that boom and yes it has a winch that is driven from the PTO through a small 3-speed transmission.  I don't have any weight on the front end, I just let it come up if it wants to.  The tractor can't go over bacwards because the boom is in the way.  I didn't have the front wheels over 3 feet off the ground yesterday, and that was pulling one of the the 20' black ash logs up to where I could hook it to the hitch.  The log hooked on another windfall and wouldn't move.  I made sure the pull was straight back as I could easily tip the tractor over sideways.  Here's a close up of the winch setup.
http://www.boomspeed.com/rmorrison/Winch.jpg

A better picture of the tractor with the jammer boom.
http://www.boomspeed.com/rmorrison/Winch.jpg

Most of the logs were kind of skinny, but when you are salvaging windfalls, you take what is there.  I had a neighbot ask for a long black ash to make top rails for his cedar strip canoe and the rest is planned to become paneling for a wall in my living room.  It seemed like a good idea to make the stuff long as I could saw it and I could always shorten it later if i needed to.  My board stretcher isn't working too good on the hardwoods.

Minnesota_boy

hawby

Hey Minni-Man!

Gotta tell you somethin'' dude... Ya need to get some kind of ROPS on that Ford. I have buried a couple of friends that were pulling a lot less than those logs. Once ya get the ROPS on, make sure ya get a seatbelt. They don't work good if your caught up in the boom, or the wheel.

Are the tires loaded? If they are, make sure you get some ballast on the front.... and keep it low. Problem with the older Fords was they had more power and traction than weight.

Don't mean to lecture.... but I been under a tractor. Had a small Massey 4x4 with a brush hog go over faster than you can say, "whacko'logs!"

I will say that I had time for a prayer to ran through my head. "Don't maim me, kill me outright!" He chose to put a 1.5" x 3/8" bolt from under the seat into my calf and let it not heal for 6 months.

Small price I guess. Two surgeries and I have a ice cream scoop size of flesh missing from my right cal muscle to remind me everyday to,"slow down, think, got family that needs ya."

This is a lot like the thread about the leaning tree, except you can't get a professional to come haul logs everytime you want them. I am in a similar boat. I use my Dad's JD 4020 / loader to skid and load. It ain't what I should be using, but I can't afford anything else though. It DOES have ROPS and a seatbelt though. :)

Be careful until you get those modifications made though. To paraphrase Jeff B, I don't want to read about somebody from the forum getting kilt!

Now go whack 'em buddy!

klh

Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Jeff

You guys make me proud. I just want to buy ya a ice cream cone er sumpthun ;D

hawby

MooseTracks - Double Scoop please! :D
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Thank You Sponsors!