iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many hours are "too many" on an LT40HDG?

Started by Dan_Shade, September 08, 2006, 07:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

i'm looking around, have found a few with "high hours".  I know good maintainance means a lot, but at what point are you past economic return, and it needs to go to the scrap heap?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Fla._Deadheader

Didn't you build your mill ???  I would not look twice at buying a WM after checking the frame and motor and hydraulics. Bearings and such are cheap. If the engine runs good and sounds good, what else is there ??????  A new 24HP Honda is $1600.00 or so, for example ??? 

One of the (maybe X) WM techs buys,refurbs and sells WM's all the time.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bibbyman

I'd think the only reason to send a Wood-Mizer down the road to the scrap dealer is if it'd been in some horable crash or had building burn down on it.

Take a look at what tomboysawyer has done to one old Wood-Mizer that's had a real eventfull past.

Transforming Frankenmizer
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

the mill in question is a 1993 with 7700 hours with an onan 24hp

i'm worried about things nickle and diming it.  I used to run a 3/4 ton 1980 GMC, i know all about nickel and diming, and the niceness of just getting in my '04 F250, turning the key and going...

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Fla._Deadheader

Don't believe it's possible for a WM to nickle and dime you. Besides, it MAKES you money, pays for itself ??????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodbowl

I've replaced every moving part on my WM several times over including chains, up/down sprockets, sheeves and every single bearing many times. This is my 4th motor. I've lost count of how many times the cam follower bearings have been changed out. I'm not sure about other models, but looking for the main wear indicator on a WM would have to be the flat spot along the round rails where the cam followers make contact. There's probably over 15,000 hours on my mill now and the flat spot has worn about 1/4" wide. It's not causing any problems and wouldn't be an issue if I wanted to buy another WM.

The frame is the heart, everything else, can and will be replaced given enough use. A WM frame is just tough, don't mean to rant on. I would be interested to know how other mill frames endure the test of time. I'm sure others are very tough as well.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

jpgreen

I wouldn't hesitate with a WoodMizer.

I've replaced nearly everything on mine- whether it needed it or not. Aside from the hydraulics, and a new engine the parts were under $1000 and that includes extra rebuild kits for the electric motors, and hydraulic motor.

I agree with the posts above, and like Bibby says, if it hasn't been in a wreck, you've got a solid, easy rebuildable machine.  That's the sign of a well engineered peice of equipment.

Woodmizer IMO is by far the best portable band mill made, best supported, best engineered...  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jpgreen

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 08, 2006, 08:47:21 AMi'm worried about things nickle and diming it.  I used to run a 3/4 ton 1980 GMC, i know all about nickel and diming, and the niceness of just getting in my '04 F250, turning the key and going...

-Not a good comparison IMO.  WM's parts are WAY cheaper, and there's WAY less of em'..  :)

Dan_Shade

question for the uninformed:

what is a 2-plane clamp?

and is it possible to update the toe lifters to rollers?  I REALLY want roller toeboards on my next mill.  Is there room to weld rollers on there?  do they lift from the stowed position parallel, or does it kind of angle up like the screw types do?

jpgreen

Yeah-

Mine are updated fully hydrualic Wood-Mizer toe boards..  8)

Cedarman

I don't know how many 10s of thousands of cedar logs we sawed on our old LT 30 manual. Went through several motors and the last was electric whick I took off and put the old gas back on when I sold it.  We wore the rails down over about 9 feet of track because 95 per cent of what we sawed was 8'.  We took a grinder and removed some material along the track that wasn't wore to make the mill head move level.  That mill is still sawing just fine for the new owner.  The mill I replaced it with is electric and just turned over 9700 hours.  It still saws perfect.  Our multihead is  problably pushing 18 to 20,000 hours with original electric motors, metal track and hydraulic pump. It ran over 6 hours today.  

Like has been said, if the mill frame is straight and everything checks out good, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.  Our LT30 HDE super is easy to work on and easy on the pocketbook.  There is no other piece of machinery that I have owned that is as reliable.  WM's service is pretty good too. (Understatement)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dan_Shade

are there toe rollers on each end? or just one end?  are they hydraulic?

I see 4 levers in the pictures, I figure one for the backstops(1), one for the loader(2), one for the turner(3), one for the clamp (4).  Am I missing a lever? or do the newer ones have 5 levers?

jpgreen

pigman

The two plane clamp uses two levers, one for the in and out, and one for the up and down. My 1998 Wm mill has 6 levers.
clamp up and down
clamp in and out
log turner, also controls the two back stops
front toe board
rear toe board
log loader
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

woodbowl

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 08, 2006, 10:10:47 PM

...... is it possible to update the toe lifters to rollers?  I REALLY want roller toeboards on my next mill.  Is there room to weld rollers on there? 

I don't have them either so I keep 2 pieces of 2" metal pipe about 10" long in my  truck for those problem logs.

I raise the log with the toe boards and place the pipe directly on top of the rail on each end then lower the log on them. I push the log by hand untill the pipes fall off. then repeat the process.  A few times like that and I have the log where I want it. It really doesn't take that long. For the amount of time it would take to build roller toes VS the few logs that need shifting, I probably won't ever have them.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Bibbyman

One thing really nice about the roller toe boards over the older blade type is that they are a lot wider and reach closer to the back supports - thus will level a smaller log.  They'll even level a thick flitch.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

I found some pictures of the toe board lifters, i'm fairly certain I could fabricate a roller setup with what I have now somewhat easily.

I do the pipe trick now, and I hate it, it makes me nuts.  of course my lifting mechanism is a 2x8 about 8 feet long as a lever.

Larry

Not much to em...copied this one to put on my Kasco.  Even made the roller...few how to pictures in the mill section of my gallery.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jpgreen

That be the ones on my mill.  Pretty simple.

I wonder why they kicked out the base of that jack right there.  My model doesn't have that. Prolly just more stability.

One thing I want to do is istall some type of hydraulic jacks on this mill to quickly get it where I want it, then drop the supports as I'm always on uneven ground, and those manual jack supports are going to wear me out.

Brian_G

We've had some mills listed for sale that had from 6,000 to 8,000 hours that seemed to still work well.  The buyers told us that they did not have any major problems other than replacing a few moving parts.  On the other hand, we've also had some people list equipment for sale below 2,000 hours that were ready for the junkyard due to hard running, no maintenance, no real regard for the equipment.  The most hours I have heard of on a mill is 20,000 on a Cook's AC-36 Accu-Trac, but it was all worn out.  I'd say with most of the mills we have listed, the mill is pretty worn out after 7,000 hours.  But, there are some exceptions to this rule:

Woodbowl's mill with 15,000 hours is a great example of proper maintenance.  I'd listen to whatever he says when it comes to maintaining a mill.

Brian

woodbowl

Well hey Brian, I've been wondering when you were gonna start posting. Welcome to the forum. I know your buisness sawmillexchange has been keeping you hopping. I look forward to seeing you on here on a regular basis and recieving some insite of the industry from your perspective.  ;)

tnlogger

Brian welcome to the forum and thank you for the great site you have
It's to advertising what the FF is to forums. Well laid out and easy to
navigate.  :) 
gene

Norwiscutter

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

mikeandike

Hey Brian,

Your site is the defacto standard for sawmill sales. I have drooled
over many a mill listed and I am sure will many times more.

Congratulations on the adoption if my memory serves me.

How did that trip go? I and I'm sure the guys would be interested
in that adventure.

Come on....any pictures?
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

Dan_Shade

what was the first year for the dual plane clamp?

jpgreen

That dual plane clamp would be nice, but my 95 has the old style clamp, and after I aligned the mill and tightened up the clamp, it is cutting dead on, and accurate.  It's turning logs and cants with no problem.

While it is work to do so, I think every WM owner should learn how to completely align their mill including stops and clamps by following the proceedure in the manual, as the mill cuts dead on.  I'm finding there is no reason to settle for an inaccurate cut with the mill or the log scale rulers, cause the mill will cut dead accurate lumber if it is adjusted properly...  8)

Of course your blade has to be properly set and sharp, but I've not had one wave or miss-cut yet.  Broke and old blade though..  ;D

Brian_G

W-M dual plane clamp became available in 1997.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Brian

Thank You Sponsors!