iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to mill a hard wood without smoke and burns.

Started by alsayyed, September 08, 2006, 07:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Today just decided to do some milling under the sun it is very hot and humid. I have tried my chain after it is been repaired. Changed the piston off course. But this time I have mixed more oil than gas I mean 1:40 that is what Stihl people has told me so I did. So I tried to slice this piece of wood which is red oak, man I tell you smoke coming from the wood and I can smell the burns. But my chain is very sharp like razor but it is not going through. So today I am going to try another different type of log and see how it is going to work.
So my question is it hard to milling an oak using a chain saw? Why is the smoke and smells of burns coming from the wood?

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

alsayyed

yes it is brand new machine 066,even i have tested the oiler

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

alsayyed

yes, I normally mill very easy eccept this wood it is small but very very heavy and dense. i do not know what is it.

metalspinner

Sorry I had to ask that silly question.  I guess the cat is out of the bag on my big screw up. :-[
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Raphael

I've never had a log produce smoke, but most of the hardwoods I've milled were relatively green.  Even after two years in our environment the interior of logs is still pretty wet.
  Only thing I can suggest is check the height of your rakers, if they are too tall they might be responsible for the burning.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

footer

Quote from: alsayyed on September 08, 2006, 07:48:32 AM
But this time I have mixed more oil than gas I mean 1:40 that is what Stihl people has told me so I did.

Do you mean 1:40 or 40:1?  40:1 is pretty rich mixture and you would probably get a lot of smoke and loss of power. If you are running 1:40 I would be supprised if you could get it to run?

jpgreen

Your hard wood has probably seasoned like a rock.  I noticed some hard woods over seas
in countries I've to been are REAL hard.

40:1- 40 parts gas, one part oil.  Check your chain tension?  To tight- to loose? Are you using a ripping chain? Are you causing the blade to bind by pushing at the wrong angle when you saw?

Are you running the saw full throttle, and pushing it into the cut at the right pressure?

Check the chain again.  Maybe it hit a rock or nail right from the start?

Is there sand in the bark that is being pulled through and dulling the chain?

Just throwing ideas out there.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

solodan

I am with Raphael on this one, how dry is this log. Certain species get almost impossable to cut after being well seasoned. Even some soft woods are hard to mill after getting real dry. I rarely mill any oak, but I do cut it for firewood, and I love that old buck skinned black oak, but it is real hard to even cross cut at that point. Maybe try an auxillary oiler.

And just another note, a poorly tuned saw has no power under a load. I have seen saws that sound and run great wide open with no load but then just plain lack power while cutting. How is your saw running when cutting other wood?

oh yeah send more pics, you know how we all love pics 8)

alsayyed

Quote from: footer on September 08, 2006, 10:13:25 AM
Quote from: alsayyed on September 08, 2006, 07:48:32 AM
But this time I have mixed more oil than gas I mean 1:40 that is what Stihl people has told me so I did.

Do you mean 1:40 or 40:1? 40:1 is pretty rich mixture and you would probably get a lot of smoke and loss of power. If you are running 1:40 I would be supprised if you could get it to run?
Yes I did mix 10 liter of gas with 250 ml of Stihl oil. And it is running good no complain and I am using half way throttle and it is running very nice. You know the reason I did this because I do not want to burn the piston when I mix 1:50 I cannot afford to pay anymore. Maybe next time I will mix 11 liter gas with 250ml Stihl oil.

Modat22

I've tried sawing old dry locust fence posts before and had them smoke and throw sparks. (No nails)
remember man that thy are dust.

Ianab

Sounds like you have some sort of desert Eucalyptus or similar. That stuff can be like concrete when it's dry. You can see sparks coming off it as you cross cut it.

I think the 40:1 mix will be fine although I run all my saws at 33:1, even though the local dealers advise everyone to use 25:1 because of the grade of petrol we get here.

I wonder if the local petrol quality has any thing to do with your piston failures?

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

leweee

Check the chainsaw bar for a bur on the forward edge. If you are getting a bur on the bar you are pushing too hard or not enough oil. Sounds like the bar is hanging up and causing the burning & smoking. :P

Show us a picture of that bar & chain. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

jpgreen

Interesting, as mine are 50:1 here in California.

solodan

jpgreen

I wonder if that's another way Cal emissions regs are shafting us?...  ::)

I think I may start mixing 40:1..  ;)

timcosby

50:1 is what i was tiold also???? south alabama usa

alsayyed

Quote from: Ianab on September 08, 2006, 06:21:38 PM
I wonder if the local petrol quality has any thing to do with your piston failures?
Cheers
Ian

No we have very good quality gasoline same as in USA. we have two types. one is super which is light gasoline, and other excellent, which is same as the leaded very good and clean.
I am thinking on my next mixture to go for 15: 375 I mean 15 litre gasolin and 375 mlitre Stihl oil.

Tom

Alsayyed

We have a saying in the USA.   "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If 40:1 was recommended, and it works, why try something else"?

More oil may gum things up, or make stuff dirty, or smoke, but it usually doesn't  harm an engine.

More gas than oil will burn pistons.  Don't go in that direction.  :D

Back40x2

I have the Stihl 460 w/a 36 inch bar and use it on my friends alaskan mill ocassionally.  I have no problems what so ever.  I use an Oregon ripping chain!  You might also want to try an oregon skip tooth chain.  Also, turn your saw upside down, there is a screw there to adjust to amount of oil coming out.  My is opened up full bore!

Hope this helps!
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

oldsaw

Quote from: metalspinner on September 08, 2006, 09:28:19 AM
Sorry I had to ask that silly question.  I guess the cat is out of the bag on my big screw up. :-[

Not that silly.  I did it the other day when I was in a hurry, and it does smoke and burn... :-[

Only the second time in my life I have done that, the other time was almost 30 years ago...in a hurry then too...below zero temp with a nice "breeze".  This last time was just operator "error".

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Ianab

I have no hard facts to back me up, but every time I've bought a 2 stroke machine here in NZ the dealer has specifically told me to ingnore the user manual and NOT to mix my fuel at 50:1. Stihl, Dolmar, Aussie made lawnmower.. all gave the same advice.
The reason given was the composition of our local petrol. It's clean, it has the right octane ratings, and works fine in our cars, but it seems to need more oil mixed in when it's used in 2 stoke equipment. The same 'grade' of petrol may have a very different chemical composition depending on what crude oil and refinery it was sourced from. Sometimes we get imported petrol (not from the NZ refinery), and it smells different at the pumps.

This is the bottle of oil I got with my new Dolmar, it's NZ sourced Castrol oil I believe, good stuff, but the locally printed label says to mix it 25:1.

I'm guessing the distributors get less failures if they tell people to use more oil. If you have to replace a carboned up spark plug it's a lot cheaper than a piston. I have also read that having more oil in the mix can increase wear because of the carbon buildup in the engine. I can understand that, but thats a long term thing, your saw 'may' wear out sooner. But if you are short of oil in the mix, it will die a fast but painfull death. :o

Also run the saw at full throttle when you are milling. Chainsaw carbs are pretty simple things, they are designed to work at 2 settings, idle and full power. Using part throttle for short periods, like when limbing small branches doesn't hurt, but if you load the saw up for a long time at part throttle it may be running a little lean and contribute to your problems.

Anyway, I run all my saws at 33:1 mix, they haven't blown up, that includes the big 090 Stihl on my mill, and thats got a lot of hours on that now.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

alsayyed

Quote from: Back40x2 on September 09, 2006, 01:56:05 PM

I use an Oregon ripping chain!  You might also want to try an oregon skip tooth chain.  Also, turn your saw upside down,

Hope this helps!
Thank you for replying for my topic. I heard about Oregon chain but to tell the truth never tried either of them are they good for ripping, Are you telling me that these two types of chain better than the normal brand. I should read more about oregon skip tooth chain if they are perfect for ripping.

Minnesota_boy

Chainsaw chains were originally designed for cutting a tree down.  The cutter is shaped appropriately for that purpose on most chains.  Milling is a fairly new thing and there are fewer chains made for that.  The wood fibers cut differently when milling than when felling.  It takes a sharper chain to mill than to fell and it works better if the angle on the top of the cutter is closer to straight across than at the angle used for felling.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!