iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pop Up Ad Takeover

Started by Mooseherder, September 07, 2006, 05:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Just got in from work. Signed on to computer for 5 minutes. During this time, I have had 4 Pop Up Ads from Quiken Loans, 2 From Expedia, 1 from WinAntiVirus.
I checked my Pop Up Blocker. It says it has blocked 351 Pop Ups. I will never give companies who send these Pop ups any business.  Does anyone have recommendations on how to stop this nonsense?

tcsmpsi

I've been running the Norton package for years and have never had a problem since I have.  No popups, no virus, good spamblocker, firewall, etc. 
It has been working swell for me, and is certainly worth the 50 or so bucks a year to keep the constant upgrades.

Works for me, anyhow. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Mooseherder

Since my post, 4 more from Quicken!!!
I called the 1-800-number and talked with Gary.
Poor Gary probably never received this kinda call. ;D
I asked who I could talk with about this invasion of privacy.
He put me on hold for a couple minutes. Came back and asked if he could have my number so someone would call me back in 10 minutes.  :D
Nobody has called back yet.

Modat22

Sounds like you have some adware on your computer.

I recommend downloading the free version of spybot search and destroy. It takes care of a bunch of leach bots that might be on the computer. I actually use it on my network at work and home.
remember man that thy are dust.

Woodcarver

Ad-Aware SE Personal is another free download that is worthwhile.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Ianab

Yup.. you have got some scumware advertising software installed on your PC  >:(

Spy-bot and Ad-Aware are a good place to start, they will probably clean it out for you.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

amberwood

I have the same Norton US$50 annual deal one with the lot..on cable broadband daily.

Not one uninvited guest in 2 years.

Its only after 10 minutes of swearing at the &*(^%$ PC when the link does not work that you remember to turn the pop up blocker off........for that site only.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Quartlow

Firefox $0
adblock plus $0
two subscription list's from http://easylist.adblockplus.org/ $0

no popups and not paying for norton
PRICELESS

with adblock plus you can block anything on any website just by right clicking on the offending item and adding it to the list

Actually I just read an article not long ago, they tested like 50 antivirus programs, norton was something like 25th. Sad part was AOL's free antivirus was second. Anyone can download it and use it.

I don't have an anti virus program.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

brdmkr

Mooseherder, I had internet exploder and went to firefox and have not had another popup.  I don't run anything else.  Knock on wood.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

beenthere

I use the free Yahoo! pop-up blocker and don't get any. It "bloops" (makes a sound) whenever it blocks one. Works well for me. Also comes with a anti-spy which works as far as I know. Norton Anti-virus has worked for me, except the time I forgot to turn it back on (have to switch it off to load some software programs per instructions).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

There's 2 types of pop-up ads you will come across. Some are launched by the site you are visiting, just another way to show you adverts. Annoying but basically harmless. Easy enough to block with one of the various pop-up blockers. Or just ingore them.

The other type are launched by software thats actually installed on your PC, usually without your knowledge. Who actually reads the fine print that come with the 'free' screensavers etc. If you do, you will realise that you actually gave them permission to install 'other' software at the sime time. Now thats just the 'legal' ones, other lowlives try and get in on the same act by spamming you, creating web pages that install software without your knowledge etc. Now a lot of thses programs aren't classed as a virus, they dont infect other PCs, and you sorta agreed to run them as part of the deal on that free program.  ::)

Thats where the Adaware type programs come in, they will scan your PC for software of this type and remove it if you want - And of course you do  ;)  Enough of those pesky programs running in the background will slow everything down, not to mention annoy the heck out of yah  ::)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tcsmpsi

One thing I have learned, nothing is free.  I have tried some of the 'free downloads', but all of them have left a little something of their own which interferes. 

That's just my experience with them. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

getoverit

I use the free Google toolbar with their popup blocker.. works like a champ! I can also search on google from the toolbar, which comes in handy at times.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Quartlow

Quote from: tcsmpsi on September 08, 2006, 07:41:29 AM
One thing I have learned, nothing is free.  I have tried some of the 'free downloads', but all of them have left a little something of their own which interferes. 

That's just my experience with them. 

Linux is free  ;D Hence the reason this cheapskate is now using it instaed of the expensive software belonging to BG
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Mooseherder

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Nobodyfrom Quicken has called yet. :D
Today's Flavor of the day has been Student loan pop ups. 3 of the same so far.
Too bad they don't have a phone # listed on it.
I will try to decide which program to go with by Saturday.

CHARLIE

Mooseherder, call that Dave on Quicken again and ask him why no one has called as he promised. Then ask for the name of his superviser and phone number. That should put a knot in his shorts.

Several years ago I started getting so many pop-ups that I couldn't do anything on my computer. I had Norton Anti-virus installed and so I installed Norton Firewall. I have had no pop-ups since then. It even blocks Trojan Horses and tells me the computer address and location of who is trying to hack into my computer. I'm very happy with Norton. My theory is, if you pay for a product, they'll do a better job keeping you happy than someone that just gives their product away. 

I also purchased Spy Sweeper that gets rid of all the spyware and trojan horses. It seems to work real good.

I too will never purchase products where the advertisement is sent via SPAM or Pop-Ups or Spy Ware.  >:(

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Mooseherder

I purchased a program from Office depot a few months ago but felt it was competing with other programs and wasn't taking care of all pop ups and adware. Forgot the name of it. I deleted it. It is here somewhere just don't have time to look for it right now.  Headed to a Poker tournament.

Maybe if I posted Quicken's phone # number here. We could all call Gary. :D

rebocardo

I use F-PROT virus, SYSGATE firewall, SPY-BOT, and ADWARE. Seems to take care of everything.

Tom Sawyer

rebocardo, isn't it a bit strange that you have to run 4 separate software programs just to keep your computer working?

I used to use Spybot, Adaware, and all the rest.  Then I bought a Mac.  Now no antivirus, no anti spyware, I use Firefox, so no popups.  Linux is a good choice too, the learning curve is a bit steeper than Mac.

rebocardo

> just to keep your computer working?

Not at all because Apple has only 2% of the market share in the USA, if that, and almost nothing overseas, where many viruses are written, many in poorer countries with rampant piracy problems.

If the Mac ever becomes popular and extends out of its niche market mainly beyond the hands of aficionados (mostly USA based) who would not dream of causing harm, then Apple would be in the same place, or worse. Its perceived safety is in the fact it is so small it gets ignored the same as a bottom feeding neon would get ignored when a killer whale attacks an upper school of larger fish.

The only way to effectively avoid viruses is ROM based software.

The USA shipped the IRAQI armed forces a printer with a ROM based virus that brought down their radar computer network right before our stealth bombers hit. Avoiding viruses is best done with ROM based software and limited access to your system. The USA got wide open access through a "safe" printer.

Anything that boots its operating system from disk can be easily comprised if enough attention is paid to it. It can be compromised even when it is ROM based. Hardly anyone pays attention to the Mac because there is no money to be made from compromising it and stealing data from the very small installed base and noone in the poorer countries where many viruses are written is going to buy it when it is 2-3x the cost of a knockoff PC.

beenthere

So rebocardo is saying, 'to avoid virus attacks now, buy a Mac'. 
Probably a good point, but I'll stick with the PC.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

I use a FREE firewall from Zonelabs, and a FREE popup blocker from panicware - No problem with either. I also go through the cookie page every few weeks, delete all unrecognizable ones. Not all, or you have to log in everywhere again. "If it's free, it's for me! "  :)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

johnjbc

My DSL Account from Sprint came with Earthlink. They provide protection programs at no charge and they work great. Just look at the tools that come with your account and you will find that most INTERNET providers have blocks and scanners you can use.
The Earthlink email spam blocker is also good. Just need to remember to look in the suspect folder and OK anyone you want to get mail from. It adds them to your address book and only accepts mail from address in your address book.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Quartlow on September 07, 2006, 10:43:10 PM
Firefox $0
adblock plus $0
two subscription list's from http://easylist.adblockplus.org/ $0

no popups and not paying for norton
PRICELESS

with adblock plus you can block anything on any website just by right clicking on the offending item and adding it to the list

Actually I just read an article not long ago, they tested like 50 antivirus programs, norton was something like 25th. Sad part was AOL's free antivirus was second. Anyone can download it and use it.

I don't have an anti virus program.

There is also the "Element Hiding Helper" for AdBlock Plus. Makes it easier to add a filter to block elements like ads in your Facebook profile page. Once you install it, just activate it in the Adblock menu and mouse over the element, then click to add the blocking filter. Confirm. Done. ;)

http://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!