iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spec Sheet for Custom Molding anyone have one?

Started by raycon, September 06, 2006, 09:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycon

The opportunity came up to put 2000 linear feet of white pine through the moulder 6/4 T&G random width.
Stuff I did not mill and did not dry.  Instead of blindly saying yes and having the lumber delivered to the shop I went and looked at it. Its all over the place in width,thickness and wavey. Real wavey --peaks and valleys are in the .375 inch range if not larger. Plus its wet and poor quality (spike knots full face width etc ).

For those doing molding on the side. Do you have a spec sheet for the quality of lumber coming in?  If I did take on this  job I would have resawn the lumber on my mill in both thickness and width. Dried it for a time period - kiln or air dried. Then put it through the molder.

I'm thinking of writing up a guideline for the molder that I could hand out to a prospective new customer. The guideline would handle hardwoods and softwoods differently. Covering moisture content, tolerance on the lumber before theres a fee to resaw or surface prep the boards and general quality of the lumber. Anyone have such an item already? If so what else does it include?
Lot of stuff..

fireman05

Raycon,
I just found this today since I have been away hunting 8) 8)!  I do have a spec sheet as well as samples of what material looks like when it is prepared properly as well as improperly.  I also have a Wood Mizer LT 30, Logosol PH260 single phase and Nyle L200 DH kiln.

What I do is this:

I verbally inform the customer that I need to see the material prior to taking on the job and they are advised if the material is thick/thin or too wavy to send through the Logosol, that there is an additional charge.  I charge $.15 per bd ft to surface S4S/VM T&G.  If I need to preplane, it is an additional $.10 per bd ft and if I need to Straight line rip it to ensure straight material then I charge an additional $.10 per bd ft.  I have had customers complain that I am being unfair and over priced and take their material elswhere.  However, since I saw my material, I know the quality that is needed to produce quality lumber and I am not going to produce poor finished product.   I also have contacter the sawyers who originally sawed the material and advise them of the poor quality of sawing they performed so they know that it will ultimately mean future lost customers.  Most sawyers are thankful I have advised them, others are not.

As far as the issue of dry material, I prefer not to run material less than 10% MC without being kiln dried!

I also have a sign posted that states that I will not be held responsible for the quality of the finished material that is not kiln dried or straight when it arrives for me to finish.  I also note on my final invoice, problems I encountered with the product such as loose knots, large knots, MC above 10% or wavy material etc.  If the customer is adimate that I finish his material and it is too wet or wavy then it is noted in the invoice as to the reason for the poor finish etc.

Hope this helps and sorry I didn't see this post sooner!
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

karl

I'm glad this question was asked- been thinking on just how to handle this situation since my Logosol is arriving Sat.
Sounds like fireman05 has a good, quality business going- thanks fer sharin'

karl
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

raycon

Lot of stuff..

Thank You Sponsors!