iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm looking for recommendations on a Timber Framing company.

Started by mtcates, September 05, 2006, 08:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtcates

I live in North Carolina and I am starting my quest to build a timber framed home.  I have neither the time nor the skills to build the frame myself and I'm looking for recommendations on a company to frame my home.  I would like to get estimates from a few companies to compair prices.  All opinions are welcome.

Tom

scsmith42

MT- Welcome to the forum!

What part of North Carolina are you in?

If you're near Raleigh and your framer doesn't have a source, I'll be happy to talk with you about providing your raw material in beam form. 

We have quite a few members in NC that can also provide beams - pretty much anywhere in the state you'll have a FF member that can help you out with wood.

Regards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raphael

One place to get a listing of timber framers in you area is the Timber Frame Business Council: http://www.timberframe.org/
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

mtcates

Tom........Who is DonP?

scsmith42.........I live in south Durham near Interstate 40/751 intersection.  I can't remember his name but I met a guy that knows you.  He is building his own timber frame off Lystra road.  He is also a member of this forum.  He told me of your Peterson swingblade mill.  I would love to see it in action as I am interested in purchasing one.  I have plenty of timber on my property for cutting beams. I would love to build the frame myself but I feel that a 2600 square foot house would take too long to frame. What are your thoughts?

scsmith42

MT, you're just right up the road!

Joel Eisner is the fellow that you're thinking about.  His place is about 10 miles due north from me.  I'm between New Hill and Moncure in a little spot in the road called Bonsal (off of old US1 and Beaver Creek Road).

Re the building, it usually comes down to time versus $.  For many, the joy is in the shaping and building of the frame, and the pride that comes from using what you built with your own hands.  For others, the joy is in living in such a great piece of artwork that a timber frame represents.

Without question, there is a huge amount of work involved, and not everybody can make, or wants to make, the time committment involved.  I think that the skills can be learned, so I would not let that slow you down.

One compromise may be to cut and mill your own timbers, and then have a timber framing company come in and cut all of the joints and work with you to erect it.  That way, you have the benefit of playing a major role in creating your frame, yet without the extended timeframe (or learning curves on the joinry work).

Here on the forum, Jim and Raphael both are people that are well experienced in timber framing, and I always pay close attention to their guidance.  I'm sure that there are others as well.

Re the Peterson, you're welcome to stop by and check it out.  I have several trips planned in the next 90 days, and may not be operating the mill much though.

Send me a PM and let's talk more when you get a chance. 

Regards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!