iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plans / ideas on building an elevated hunting blind for deer ?

Started by WV_hillbilly, September 04, 2006, 10:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

Has anyone built or have plans/ideas  for an elevated blind for deer hunting ?  I am wanting to build 2 of them one some property we hunt on  plus one in my own woods . I have to make it big enough for 2 people .  I have only hunted out of a ground blind built for turkey hunting and I don't think its design will be a good one to use for deer . I want it to have veiwing/shooting windows on all 4 sides as they will be placed in a row of briars seperating 2 fields . I was thinking on making them at least 6 or 7' square and 6 to 7 ' tall with slightly sloped roof and probably 8 to 10 ' off the ground .  They will be installed ina row of briars that separate 2 fields . I already have permission to build them one the place we hunt on also so that isn't a factor .

Thanks WV Hillbilly
Hillbilly

UNCLEBUCK

Seems like everyone around my area has deer stands like your describing . 4x8 sheet of plywood floor with plywood sidewalls etc..  The ones I have seen that are portable or somewhat portable without putting posts in the ground take 12 foot 2x4's and nail together 2 each making a total of 4 above ground posts. They angle the 4 corner posts just a bit or I should say they kick out the bases of all corners so below the stand the base is stable and dont feel tippy. Kind of like a upside down V when looking at it from outside the stand no matter which side you look at it from the legs kick out just a bit and run completely through and up where another sheet of plywood is bolted on top for a sloping shed roof. You can figure out the angle on paper pretty good because if you use one 4x8 plywood for the roof it will also have some overhang on all 4 sides so rain dont drip in you all day and run down the 4 x 8 sidewall .  Could even screw on a nice little 1x4 fascia on the roof piece which would act as a nice stiffener .

They make them bolt together in pieces so it can be tossed in a pickup box and be set up in just a few minutes and taken down if needed . To be somewhat portable takes some thought weight wise but as long as you go with that upside downV kind of look it will be solid as a rock . Most are painted with brown house paint so no need for pressure treated stuff . A little roll of cheap carpet keeps the noise down .

Using that osb chipboard even works as it will not shine when painted so it looks like part of the fenceline . If I find a picture of this I will put it up here . They sell these pre-built k.d. to the city folk and are very nice . Alot nicer than standing behind a round bale .   I know of people who have flip up sidewall windows on these so they can keep the cold wind off or even flip up all the plywood windows and have a long peephole all the way around and then they run them little propane heaters and some even have tv .

There is so many deer here that I lost the excitement except I do find bowhunting a challenge and hard on the heart . Goodluck and I will look for pictures

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

johncinquo

I'll see if I can post up pictures of mine.   Its 4x7' , has windows on 3 sides that are hinged and fold down.  You cant leave OSB uncovered outdoors as water will make it come apart.  It is made with 2x2 for "studs" then 1/4" plywood for the walls inside and out, and covered in roll roofing.  Between the sheets of plywood I have fiberglass insulation for warmth if I want to close the windows and turn on some heat, and to cut the sound down.  On the inside I stapled old carpet to the walls, more sound deadening and insulation.  It is about 12' up in the between 4 trees.  It has been up about 6 years now and seems to be holding up OK.  I have to run the mice out every fall and put a box of decon to make sure they are gone.  Inside I built a 6" platform that raises me up off the floor.  I have some coleman folding chairs that sit on the platform.  perfect line of site and my feet dont scuff the floor when I move around.  the windows are wooden framed and plexiglass. 

Think I got it figured out.   

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

beenthere

Nice looking Jinma tractor in your gallery. New?

Here is my stand that is multipurpose, complete with railing and all.........even has good windows, sliding door, and woodburner if heat is needed.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

beenthere

You catch on way too fast der Tom.  :D

But seriously, I often havta wonder when a cabin on stilts ends being a tree stand and where hunting (shooting) from the house begins.  Burlkraft and I were talking about this the other day, and are seeing a lot of tree stands now as complete a home as some usta live in. Not trying to be down on building a real nice hunting stand either.  :)  If'n the stand is in a good spot, then just a board plank in the crotch of a tree is good enough cause aint a gonna be there more than ½ 'n hour or so.  :)

Was dat da Boss's bear stand under that umbrella, or really just some back yard resting after bein up all night watchin skunks and coon?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV_hillbilly

Thanks Gentlemen ,

The wife gets real excited when ya poke one out of the bathroom window while using the facilities within that particular room . I gots a real nice veiw into the middle of our property  from that vantage point . 
  I have been making some sketches of what I think will work for me.  It will probably be about the same size as John's  but I was thinking of a board/batten style exterior . It will be  a nice when its raining to site there and hunt while the fair weather people are heading to the house / stirring up the deer . 

John

I take it that  the windows fold in to your blind . I was thinking about folding them up and out (like an awning) to give some more weather protection while in it . I think I will also pad the window openings with  carpet padding to minimize noise also.   

Thanks Hillbilly.
Hillbilly

johncinquo

1/2 hour!  Ha ha!  I have been in my blind for 12 hours at a time, for several days on end.  A lil comfort comes in handy.  I love being out there when its real cold.  I have several blankets and gear I pile into the coleman chair, then wrap all around me.  Its workable for awhile then I have to close up and turn the heat on. 

I like your window Idea.  That would work better than what I have, folding in.  You'll have to rig up something to hold them up. 

Yep thats my new Jinma. It is on its way here on Thursday, being hauled here by another FFer.   I'll fill ya in on all the details once it arrives.  I'll just say theres bear involved in the whole thing!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!