iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a new saw for Christmas

Started by ADfields, January 03, 2003, 03:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADfields

It's just the coolest! 8)

Santa knows I always have a Leatherman, waterproof matches, beeswaxed cottenballs and a lighter on me every place I go so I get cool stuff like this. ;D   Fire making stuff has saved my but more than once over the years!

Andy

J Beyer

You are so right on the stuff you carry can save your life.  How else could you stay warm if your vehicle died and had to keep warm in the woods at night?  By the way, what are beeswax cottonballs?

Where can I get one of those chainsaws besides eBay?

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

ADfields

Santa got the saw from a little C-store hear in Palmer Alaska and thay are all out of them now.   The beeswax cottonballs are just cotton balls that you have diped in hot bees wax, thay will light on fire and stay burning a long time even when it's wet out.   There a great fire starter in the wet!   I keep a bunch of them all my coat pockets in sandwitch bags.   I started doing this after I got lost overnight in the Arizona woods as a kid and had to cold camp and it was SNOWING, now you will never find me without 2 or more ways to start a fire.   I chewed Copenhagen till 3 years back and would make a cooking candle/firestarter from the cans,  bees wax and cardbord also.
Andy

Jeff

I have one too. Tammy bought it for me at the corner gas station. pretty cool. I mean hot.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Stacy just said they paid 7 bucks. little high, a little high.

SawBilly

I like the beeswax thing, I keep stuff like that in my trruck all the time. I am seldom more then a mile from it, and always are using things to help other people.

Paul_H

I took my son Tom out in the bush a few winters ago,when he was ten.I gave him a lighter,and a jack knife,and told him we were going to light a fire.
There was a foot of snow on the ground,and it was pouring down, miserable rain.We found a large Cedar tree,and cleared a spot under it's branches.I showed him how to look for dry bark,and sticks hidden under the tree,and nearby windfalls.The hardest part was making him see that we needed to have a good size pile of larger sticks,and chunks,ready to feed the fire once it was going.

It took him a while to make the shavings with cold hands,and a few trys at getting the fire going,but he did it,and soon we were huddled close to a hot little fire.We talked about the importance of being warm,and the great effect a fire could have on a persons mood,if they were lost.

We discussed water nearby,and how,and where to find edible roots.Once we found some skunk cabbage roots :-X,we left them,and headed home for some real food.

Andy,
I like the cotton ball idea,and the snuff box candle.we'll have to upgrade our pocket kit.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

L. Wakefield

Yes, my early kit had strike-anywhere matches dipped in paraffin. Beeswax would do OK too. My sons added the idea of taking dryer lint for tinder. I haven't actually tried that since I'm not sure it would be all cotton. I love the idea of the beeswax balls though.

One thing-  if any of you have the nisfortune to have to use test strips for diabetes testing- the bottles for the strips have dessicant in the lid- keeps the strips dry- and the bottles are waterproof. Great place to stash your waterproof matches.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

ADfields

The beeswax burns beter than paraffin and you can moosh it around into diferent shapes.
Andy

north_bugtussel

AD, I got one of those lighters from my buddy this year too, he sells Jonsreds though, and he inked in "Jonsered" on the bar :D  The beeswax thing you mentioned just solved an old puzzel for me. My Dad, gone 15 years now, gave me his fathers old "day pack" that Gramp used to tote everthing with him,while working. Just a worn out old canvas knapsack, patched and repaired after a lot of years of use. In it I found, an old pocket knife, worn out. A lot of deer hair in the bottom seams. Some chewing tobbacco, and some BEESWAX !!! I finaly know what the beeswax was for, or so it seems. Thanks
Life is full of changes..the secret to life...is to out-live the situation at hand. VB

ADfields

Glad to be of some help. :)   The knife and beeswax are what I would want first in my daybag.
Andy

RMay

AD I came home today and my Daughter had got me one of the cool little lighter saws , you my have started a fad . 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

ADfields

Jeff

I found something cool to go along with Andy's saw. Its a ceramic tree I found in an antique store for 8 bucks. I thought it was just a tree till I tried to pick it up by its top. Its a lighter and 3 ash trays! I don't smoke no more or allow it in the house but its just to cool and just the right size to sit by my little sawmill ;D

ADfields

Hay thats neet!   :)

I stoped smoking back in the 80's and never did much drinking.   My last vice was dipping Copenhagen snuff and stoped that newyears day 2000.   Now, I have a gripe!   Every time I find a cool somethin or other like your tree it has to do with smokin, drinkin or some other vice I have long stoped so it would not stop me.   Why is it I never find a neet old candy dish made to go in a man's den or somethin?   If it's a neet thing I see at a yard sale when I check it out it's always for somethin I dont do no more.  ::) :-/
Andy

Jeff

Keep your eyes open, Stacy says the same place that sold her the chainsaw lighter she gave me was selling pliers that were a lighter. She didnt have any mony and they were all gone the first time she did. She said they were really cool.

J Beyer

I just bought the same chainsaw myself for $3.99.  There are pliers, pipe wrench, and maybe a fire extinguisher lighters out there.  bought mine at a Kwik Trip truck stop at mile marker 45 on I-94 in Wisconsin.  Mile 45 is just east of the Packer/Viking border.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Bro. Noble

When we went to ellynoise recently,  I saw a little hatchet lighter for $3.99.  It was colored to look like pewter and was real cute.  I thought about buying one but got to figuring $3.99-------that's about a days wages for me.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ADfields

Milk gone down more Noble? ::)   I herd it's $9 a hundred in the southeast. :o
Andy

Jeff

I think we should blame the low prices for milk on the oil companies. Ever notice the cheapest place to buy milk by the gallon?  The corner quicky gas stations.  

The Oil companies want to keep the Farmers poor so they never have enough capital to create fuel production plants from vegatable oils.  Yup thats it. I'm positive.

Bro. Noble

Andy,

We are getting a little over $12 with bonuses for low bacteria and cell count.  Prediction is for a $2 increase in the coming year so maybe things will get better.

Jeff,  the price of milk or any other food doesn't have much to do with what the producer gets for it.  

Haytrader,  what do you get for the wheat in a loaf of bread?  About 2 or 3 cents I would guess.

I just thank God for letting me live in the country and being able to keep the bills paid.  The things I enjoy doing fortunately don't cost much if anything.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

redpowerd

no kiddin on the price relationships, about 5 years ago i was down near tampa an a gallon of 'whole' milk was close to five bucks! :o :o
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!