iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas Mill Slabber question

Started by Kedwards, September 03, 2006, 07:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kedwards

Has anyone on the forum been able to retrofit a Lucas mill powerhead to be a "router"? After slabbing some monster slabs I wanted to be able  to clean them up with minimal hand planing and sanding. I had seen in the past a large bottom cleaning bit (new zealand) that is chucked directly into the powerhead but can't find it anymore.

1- Has anyone used a large custom bit on a swingarm as a router?
2- Are there any decent attachments besides the normal commercial products?
3- Does anyone have a simple attchment that can be bolted on the front side of the fram and used as a slab surfacer?

thanks
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

amberwood

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

CALSAW

I have been thinking along the same lines. It would be nice to have something that bolts up to the powerhead, so you wouldn't need electricity, but it seems to me that the rpms are to low for a clean finish. I am going to try and make a router based attachment this winter. I am thinking it will have it's own carrige. The Woodwizz looks really nice, I have seen them on the Lucas video, very nice finish, and you can put a sander on it too, but to much $ for me at this point. Peterson makes a planer blade that bolts on the arbor for surfacing, I have not seen one.
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

Ianab

I've made a simple jig to mount a big router on my Peterson.
No reason you couldn't do something similar on the Lucas frame.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11464.0

And some more pics of it in action here.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=20323.0

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

amberwood

Calsaw.

If the rpm is too low..maybe increase the cutter diameter to increase the tip speed?

There is another manufacturer here in AUS who makes a wood wizz type of device, and he has a 200mm diameter cutter fitted to a 3ph elec motor..which can then be interchanged for a velcro backed sanding head. Very clever design. The name escapes me at the moment but will have a flick thru a magazine tonight for his ad and let you know.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Kedwards

I like that box.. I think it would be simple enough to make one.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

arnold

RE router head. Lucas manufacture a router head that fits onto the blade spindle. We introduced the planer head at mystery creek in June. It worked a treat and finished off a slag 12ft x 4ft in 10 minutes. Contact LUCAS/BAILEYS direct for the low down.
Regards Arnold

amberwood

YAS Engineering
Routermaster and Slabmaster Workcentres

ADDRESS  5/3 Central Park Drive, Yandina Qld 4561 AUST
PHONE +61 (07) 5472 7125
FAX +61 (07) 5472 7126

unfort no web address

DTR

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430