iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dictionary.....

Started by ducknutt, September 03, 2006, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ducknutt

is there a thread that explains all the terms ya'll use on an everyday basis....I'm brand spanking new and have a hard time follwoing some threads.

I'm reading here constantly and some words throw me...like flat or rift  sawn,quartering,pith,reaction wood,swingers, and many more....

i'm sucking this stuff like a sponge, but don't know what half of it means...

lol
If God is your co-pilot, You're sitting in the wrong seat

SwampDonkey

Just got to ask, and one of the lads/ladies can explain it. ;D It's best to ask openly in a thread, rather than a private message so there is a quicker concise response from someone that knows if he ain't told the whole story someone else will remind him. And, ya get more than one perspective on things. You may find that some terms are not interchangeable between countries, regions or kin folk. ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ducknutt

Tom

Hey ducknutt,
It can get confusing until you learn the terminology, can't it.   You will find that these are generally not just "buzz" words but actual terms of the trade.  Throughout the forum you will find these terms explained, but, I don't think we have a single, one-place, spot where all are described, such as you would find in a glossary.

There is a link in the Forum Extras, the hot button at the top right of the page, that will take you to the knowledge base and a document called The Wood Handbook.   It is a Government book written by the Forrest Products Laboratory in Madison Wisconsin.  It is a quite large PDF file.  In the back of the book is a pretty good Glossary.  This book is also a good place to get some quick education.  Much of it is written to be read.  Unlike a lot of technological books in print, you can entertain yourself with the knowledge you will find and will discover that you will read it for entertainment as much as for the knowledge.

While there are other places to learn that are good too, I generally go to this document first.  I've been using it for years.  Someday I'll learn half of it ..maybe.  :D

Bro. Noble

XWelcome to the forum.

I'll attempt one of these terms------pith

When used as a noun,  it means the very center of a stem or log.  It is considered a defect in grade lumber.  A good practice is to box the pith into a 4X4, for example.

Used as a verb,  it means to  irritate.  For example,  he hid the DanG thing under a whack of logs just to pith me off :o :D

Stick around,  you'll catch on and have a lot of fun learning ;D

milking and logging and sawing and milking

ducknutt

thanks guys.....funny AND educational

don't get better than that!

Burlkraft

Ya gotta start with the importaint stuff..................shooting silos .....
food.....yoopers.....food....burls.....food...the pig roast..(which has something to do with food, but mostly BS.....and did I mention yoopers :D :D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

asy

Also, just remember to ask.

These guys don't generally bite, unless'n yer holdin' food.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

I just remembered this sketch from a past thread.

Quarter-sawed, vertical grain and edge grained are the same.

You will also see the term Bastard Sawed.  That is the same as Rift.

ARKANSAWYER

I thought this was quarter sawing?   ???   Oh great! now I got to go look for pictures again.  :P

As for reaction wood, some wood gets better reactions then others.  But a good board is a good board.

And as for food just remember that grits is DanG good and JeffB allows no photos of them.
ARKANSAWYER

brdmkr

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on September 04, 2006, 12:46:53 PM

And as for food just remember that grits is DanG good and JeffB allows no photos of them.

WHAT?  No pictures of grits?  Is this a policy?  How can you possibly survive on a forum without the occaisional posting of a grits image ;D  (A bit goofy I know, I must have breathed too much dust while mowing the yard :D)

Welcome to the forum. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

brdmkr

I'll also define a term.  A swinger can refer to one of two things.  1) A swing blade sawmill.  A circle mill that makes a horizontal (or vertical cut) as it is pushed down the log.  The blade is then swung 90 degrees (hence the name) and the second cut is made creating a board.  2) a person that runs such a mill.

I run a swing blade mill.  See the picture to the left.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

timcosby

and boxing the heart is putting the pith in the center of the 4x4.

VA-Sawyer

ducknutt,
I tried to do so a few years ago.... here is a link
FF Dix-en-ary

ducknutt

thanks VA......good stuff there....btw, what's scrapple?

lmbeachy

Come up to the eastern shore of the Delmarva peninsula and we will feed you to a good breakfast of eggs and scrapple. It is really good.
hotfoot

ducknutt

tell me what it is b4 i drive 1200 miles!
might can save myself some time by staying home!

ingredients?

Tom

Wikepedia says:

"Scrapple is a savory mush in which cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, are simmered with pork scraps and trimmings, then formed into a loaf."  (The head etc.)

Sounds pretty good, don't it?

I guess those "way up yonder" northern types figured out what was good too, eh? (I'm studying Canadian) :D

Me, I like hogs-head cheese without the cornmeal.  'Course Cornmeal might be good in it.  :)

tcsmpsi

You cool the loaf proper, then slice it, fry it put a bit of syrup on it. 

Last hogheads I boiled down, some went to scrapple, though most just went to good old hoghead cheese.

Odd, ain't it?  Those folks up north talk about cornmeal just like it was some natural entity, not knowing all along that it's just another form of grits.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

lmbeachy

Tom has it about right, parts of the pig that you can't sell for anything else.

Cook down, mix with flour and various flovorings, sage, pepper, salt and some other things.

Yep it will work well with eggs, grits.
hotfoot

ducknutt

appreciate the offer, but don't think I could swallow it..off a pig, I eat ham, chops, sausage, shoulder, bacon......no organs, or 'scraps'..lol

Dan_Shade

what do you think sausage is?   :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

VA-Sawyer

Does anyone else see a pattern here ?

Tom

Yeah, I do.   I'm gettin' awful hungry and sausage is a lot better with a plate of Grits. :D

Thank You Sponsors!