iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Silver Birch tree

Started by Wood Dog, September 02, 2006, 09:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wood Dog

I just moved into a new house and ther is a dead medium size (~10-12" diam) Silver Birch tree in the yard.  I do not know how long it has been dead, but it does not appear to be rotted or taken over by insects yet.  My question is...when I cut it down, is it worth taking the trunk to a small sawmill to be cut for lumber?  Not knowing how or when the tree died, what is the chances it will make nice lumber?   I am a hobby woodworker and could use it for small furniture projects...is Silver Birch a nice wood for woodworking? 

The tree obviously isn't green anymore, but I don't know how dry it is yet...it wouldn't be that many boards so I figure I could store them in my garage rafters until they dry out.

Wood Dog

Ianab

Hi Wood dog

When you cut the tree down and see inside you will get a better idea on the condition of the wood. If it's punky and part rotton, then dont bother. If it's still solid wood then it can be sawn into useable boards. You wont recover a lot from a small log like that, but if you have a small scale sawyer in your area he will be able to cut it up for you OK. The boards will need to be stacked on stickers to dry, but there's no reason you couldn't do that in the rafters for a small amount. The stack needs to be well supported, if they dry bowed, thats how they will stay  ::)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DanG

I love it when folks bring one or two little logs by, and wait while I saw them up.  My little operation is a bit different from many of the folks here.  I'm not into trying to post big numbers, so things move kinda slow around here.  When a woodworker such as Wood Dog does come around, I enjoy taking a few minutes visiting and showing them how the mill works.  Then I can discuss the specific log and find out how he wants to use the wood, then show him what I'm finding inside as I saw the log.  When it is done, I can advise him on how to store it for drying, so he'll have a better chance for a good project.  In about 30 minutes time, he'll be pulling out with a nice little stack of wood and feeling like he just discovered a gold mine, and I'll be stuffing 20 or 30 bucks in my pocket knowing I just made somebody's day and had a good time doing it. ;)

Welcome to the Forum, Wood Dog, and bring your little log on over.  We'll have a great time.  Don't forget to bring the 20 or 30 bucks. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

You might even have a market for some spalted birch in that tree. Usually birch spoils quick, so you get black discoloration in the wood where the fungus invades usually aided by tiny ambrosia beetles. Often times if the birch passed away naturally it has alot of pocket rot which causes sections of the tree to die, like a major branch. This usually happens on disturbed sites that have been cleared for a new house, if neighboring species/trees have died off from old age or if too much canopy was removed in a harvest operation. This will cause sunscald of the main bole of the tree and the expiration of water excedes replenishment from the root uptake. The tree basically overheats. An example of it happening naturally in the forest is when a stand is dominated by balsam fir with birch mixed in. The fir may get killed by budworm or die off from aging and fall down. The tree canopy becomes very open and soon all your birch are dead or very ill. I've seen this alot under natural conditions.

Silver birch is what I'm assuming is yellow birch with silvery colored bark instead of the usual golden yellow. There really is no species distinction although it has been discussed over the years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

You being a wood worker and on something that small, I might be tempted to try it on a cheap bandsaw myself, if you can avoid cutting off digits in the process. What I would do is square it up with a chainsaw by ripping it length wise. Then you are down to 8 inches and that will fit on the table of many bandsaws. The wood is not that heavy so it should be easy enough to move.

Thank You Sponsors!