iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whats the name for this tool

Started by moosehunter, September 01, 2006, 02:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

I don't have a picture so I'll discribe it the bestest I can!

It is used for digging holes. One would be used before the "clam" style post hole digger to break up the ground.
It is about 6 feet long, solid steel shaft. Maybe 1 inch diameter. A flatened spade about 2 inches by 12 inches at one end and a mushroomed head on the other end about two inches in diameter.
I have used them often but never heard them called anything but "hand me that DanG bar".
I would like to buy one but have never seen one in a store, and the clerks always looks at me funny when I say " I need one of those DanG bars" ::)

Those of you that know what I am talking about,... well you know. Those that don't,... won't ;)

Unless.... someone has a picture
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

DanG

Don't know what ya call it officially, but they gottem at Lowe's around here.  Look in the area with the shovels and such.

"DanG Bar" might be a touch too sophisticated for such a mundane tool, though. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frickman

We always called them "digging irons." They're very useful for all kinds of work. Most any good hardware or farm store should have them.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Tom

Modat22

remember man that thy are dust.

Murf

Yep, that's a digging bar.

It has a cousin with a business end like a big cold chisel, they use 'em on the railroads fer' movin heavy stuff and such, they're called a spud bar.

If'n yer toe gets ina way of either though you'll likely go back ta callin it a DanG bar!!  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Texas Ranger

In the engineers we called em clay bars, for cutting clay in a dig.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CHARLIE

Looks like an ice chipper to me. Something I would use if the sun got to the snow before I did and then it refroze.  >:(
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

coldnorth

'round here that is a 'diggin iron'

used for digging.
We have ROCKS, so we need leverage!
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

Beweller

Beweller

moosehunter

Gorsh, not only do I find out the real name, but where to get one! I have looked at our Lowes, no luck. I will try an old fashioned localy owned store.

Thanks to all!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Bro. Noble

If my Dad asked me to get him a bar and I didn't know what he was doing,  I'd ask him do you want a pry bar,  a crow bar, or a punch bar?  If he were digging a hole and wanted a bar like you describe,  he would tell me to bring the 'punch bar'.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Woodwalker

Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

getoverit

at first I thought you was talking about a "dibbler" which is used for planting pine trees.

they look real similar to these digging irons
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

isawlogs

That tool is to cut a hole in da ice ...  ::)  one for to put the line in .. the other for the Bleue to staye at room temperature .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jkj

Best thing there is for putting in fence posts, one end for prying, breaking up rocks and hard dirt, and cutting roots in the hole and the other end for tamping around the post.  Also handy at the sawmill to slide logs a bit.

I got mine several years ago at Home Depot.  (Go to homedepot.com and search for "digging bar" (without the quotes), but it looks to me like their page has the pictures for the first two reversed.

Our store always has them in a stand in the shovel isle along with several styles of pry and digging bars.  I also use the style with a point on one end and chisel on the other, but the tamper gets more use.  A local industrial rigging supply house also carries them and other pry bars.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

asy

We always called it a "Big heavy foot squasher".

I used to have my granddad's one, but had to leave it with my mum when I moved interstate.

I wonder if they'll let me bring it home on the plane with me next month :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

J_T

Sure they will 8) Put a handle on it and a top and carry it like a shepards staf :D :D
Jim Holloway

mike_van

We called it a spud bar, 10' long for digging pole holes 6' deep. We also had a 10' one just called a hard bar, one end pointed, the other about 2" chisel for rocks in those 6' deep holes.  The new guys learned what these were, their first day usually -  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

asy

Actually, I just remembered, my Dad used to call it a wrecking bar.

Maybe coz he mostly wrecked stuff with it.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

getoverit

I finally found a picture of what we hae always called a "dibbler"

as you can see, it is ery similar to what you were discribing. I hae never seen one with a handle on it like this though...

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jimbo

around here we allway called it an iron digger   you can get them at tractor supply  most of the time or thay can order one for you  their

jimbo

Thank You Sponsors!