iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steel shot

Started by JD_Kid, January 02, 2003, 11:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
just asking .with the lead ban in some places ..does that cover all shotgun shooting IE trap ,skeet ..why i'm wondering is that i shoot cowboy action  8)and if all shotgun shells are steel only how do ya get on? even rabbit shooting on rocky ground with steel would be weard, or do have to stockpile lead and ya roll ya own ..
thanks
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

ADfields

Hear in Alaska lead is just baned for use over water and I use Bizmith (sp?) over water, cant stand steel.   Bizmith shot shoots just like lead and hits hard but runs about 3 times the money as led or steel, around $9 US for a box of 20.   I do reload but not shotshells as I feel I can buy better shells for less money than it takes to reload them.   To get a good crimp and seal on a shootshell takes some of the better equipment and runs a bit of money to buy.
Andy

JD_Kid

Hi ya
yea i think thats going to be the same here in time ( shooting over water )why i asked is most new catalogs(?) all seem to be selling steel or other types of shot and even 3 inch shells might make a few 2 3/4 shotguns worth stuff all
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Texas Ranger

The Rifleman has an article this month on a "new" shot that is better than steel and bizmuth, shoots better, and is cheaper.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

J Beyer

Watch out for those pieces of flying shot! :o  Would be bad shooting wabbit on rocky ground.  My shooting club has been around since the 50's and have not had any problems with lead in the water.  We were also told when asked about mining the trap fields was to leave them alone as long as the water quality holds out.

Interesting on the new shot.  Please tell us more.  Basically it only pays to reload if you shoot a lot of trap or want a load that patterns real well in your gun.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Tom

JB,
It's not a problem of lead in water, its a problem with water fowl eating the lead from the bottom of the ponds and creeks. Whether they scoop it up accidentally with their food or eat it as stones to put in their crop, it eventually ends up in their system and they suffer from lead poisoning.  It effects a high percentage of ducks in the flyway today and it is debilitating as well as fatal.

A Canadian Wildlife Service article on Lead Poisoning

J Beyer

In areas where you can hunt Snipe with lead shot loads are legal when hunting them outside of the duck season or if ducks do not nest there, or for some other reason over water!  This does not make any sense to me, but it is a fact in some areas in the southeast.  For those of you that don't know what a snipe is, it is a bird that flies really fast and kind of zig-zags in flight.

Tom

Yeah, you can't hit'em in the daylight and you have to capture them at night.  You get a bunch of guys to beat the bushes and you have someone hold a croaker sack open across a trail in the woods.  When the snipe gets scared of the beaters it will run like crazy down the trail, not looking where it is going and run right into the sack. If you are quick you can close the sack before he gets out.  They're good eating but it takes a lot of them to make a meal.  We use to snipe hunt a lot when I was in the Boy Scouts.

Jeff

Tom and I were Thiiissssss close to getting Tammy out snipe hunting in Florida in his young slash pine. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ADfields

When I was about 10 or so Mom Dad and me took a trip to Louisiana to pick up some cowdogs (Catahoulas) and stayed with the dog folks on there ranch for 4 days.   The first night the southern kids took me out snipe hunting and gave me the totesack. ::)   When thay got me all set I took the sack and went back to the house. ;D   Long about 3 hours later them southern boys came in just knowing there hides would get taned becous thay lost me out in the field.   I was sitting on the porch with a nice glass of sweet tea and sead "Well hi boys!  Did you think I was a dumb city kid just becous I dont talk like you?" :D :D ;D   Then and there I got respct and we had a great time the rest of my stay even if I did sound funny to them! 8)
Andy

J Beyer

Like I said, Snipe are birds, not night-time critters.

JB

james

some friends went to visit down by the lake of the ozarks and some neighbor kids took there 9 year old girl out on a snipe hunt 15 min later she comes running into the house and yells i got one all excited like and pulles her cousins pet skunk out of the bag :o :o ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!