iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hercules Engine

Started by woodhaven, August 28, 2006, 08:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhaven

I have a Kohler generator with a 4 cylinder Hercules engine and am trying to figure out how to build and set the governor linkage. When I got it there was no linkage on it so I have made several rods that look right but are not. Does anybody know anything about this engine or can tell me where to look?
Richard

Bro. Noble

A lot of tractors made in the 40's and 50's used a herculese engine.  You could go to an old engine show and see if you can spot one and see how it is made.  I'll see if I can come up with a list of tractors to look for if you want to try this.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Corley5

Try the forums over at www.ytmag.com  Someone there will be familar with what you need.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

UNCLEBUCK

I have a 4 cyl hercules gas and I will take a picture of that area tomorrow for you and put it here ok . 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bro. Noble

I did a little digging through my tractor books and found that the biggest used (in tractors) of herculese engines was by Cletrack.  They started making crawlers around 1930 and sold out to Oliver in 1944.  Oliver still used the herculese engines in their crawlers at least into the 1960's.  Herculese made their own governor units.  You might be able to get parts through whoever bought out Oliver.  First it was White,  but I don't remember who bought them out.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

I'm thinking Ford bought out White. smiley_headscratch
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodhaven

Hurry up UNCLEBUCK. A storm is coming and I might need the generator.
Richard

UNCLEBUCK

Ok I put photos in my gallery and will put one here for effect  :)  The measurement of the adjustable rod is 10-3/4 inches long from the center of each hole and it looks like the adjustment can go about 1 inch either way .

Also I have a bigger hercules that is factory mounted on a old john deere combine if this one isnt quite what you were lookin for .

UNCLEBUCK

Happy to help anytime .  ;D

UNCLEBUCK

So happy to have my computer fixed I may as well put another pic up

Bottom rod just goes to the throttle which is just a steel stick and the top rod is the governor , sometimes I just grab that top rod and blow all the booggies out

woodhaven

Thanks UNCLEBUCK,
I can see that I have my linkage on right. Your carb is installed 180 degrees off from mine. I guess that depends on what it is used for. Now if I could only figue how to adjust it. Any idears?
Richard
Richard

sawguy21

My guess would be to disconnect at the carb and move the governor lever to the stop. Adjust the rod so it lines up with the throttle shaft lever when the throttle is wide open.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!