iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sachs dolmar 120

Started by limbrat, August 27, 2006, 11:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

hey
I just got a pair of sach dolmar 120 at a local auction for 80 bucks.  8)  No one had heard of the brand (i wouldnt have either if it hadnt been for this forum) they looked like they had been in the back of someones barn for years and one has a busted pull cord housing and some busted fan blades.They are very clean inside no build up in the muffler the spark arrester screens are clean and the top of the pistons are clean, they cuoldnt have been used much. I blew out the fuel tanks and hit the cylinder with some liquid wrench pull it over 8 or 10 times then added some fuel and it fired up and ran and oiled but it needs a carb kit. The other saw i spun over with a air ratchet it fired on choke but i didnt try to run it, its for parts.
My Questions are is there any thing i can do about the 24 + 1 fuel ratio and what rpms. should it run?
ben

Al_Smith

It will do just fine on 32 to 1.There have been debates,accross the internet forums for years on what mix to use.Often to a real fired up level.

The older mix ratios were given in a time before more quality oils were available,often times refering to the use of motor oil as mix oil.For example McCulloch recommended 16 to 1 using straight 40 weight oil and 40 to 1 using their brand of mix oil.

Just as a personal preferance,I prefer 32 to 1.Perhaps more than not run 40 to 1 with good success.A few at 50 to 1,which is a bit risky in my way of thinking.

I suppose perhaps,at 24 to 1 it may prevent damage if the old saw has a leaky crank seal or case leak.

limbrat

Thanks
sorry so late i have been away.
ben

sawguy21

I don't want to get into a match with Al over his one but would not go heavier than 40:1 with our modern oils. I would leave it at 50:1
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

parrisw

Ya I think its a little overkill and in fact a waste of oil running more then 50:1 with todays oils.  I run 50:1 Amsoil Sabre professional.  And they state you can run with that oil at 100:1, in non extreme condidions.  I just run at 50:1 and never had any problems.

Will

Woodcarver

I have a Sachs Domar that I bought more than 20 years ago.  A year ago the dealer I bought it from, who now sells Huskys, told me to bring it in and he would re-tune it to run on 50:1. It runs like it did when it was new and I haven't had any problems with it.   
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

SawTroll

My 1970 vintage Jonsereds  621 has been run on Aspen 1:50 for year, even though the manual etc calls for 1:25 (Aspen is alky fuel premixed wiyh synthetick oil).

I also believe it is mostly about the quality of the oil (and maybe even the fuel).
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!