iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FiOS questions?

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 25, 2006, 06:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Anyone here on the FF using FiOS from Verizon for their Internet connection?

I'm getting it soon and wanted to know if it has any problems or not.

Thanks,

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Onthesauk

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

Jim
What can you tell us about it so far? 

This is the Fiber Operating System, right?  Is it costly to get it into your house? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

beenthere:
I"m on dial up and recently I've been having some problems.
I'm not sure what caused it, but somehow while I'm online, dialed out on one of my three lines, this line would ring in. Don't know how that's possible when the line is busy with an outgoing call that it could ring in, but it does, and resets my modem. As well as kicks me off line.
So, I tried to re-install my modem software figuring that something got screwed up with the last download to 'fix' XP. We I couldn't read the modem software disk, so I didn't want to delete or un-install the software.
I took the disk to the store where I bought the modem, very nice guys over there.
They could read the disk and made me a new copy.
I reinstalled the modem drivers and went online and downloaded the latest drivers also.
Still happening, in coming calls bumping me off line and reseting my modem.
The tech who helped me said to use my phone and enter the code to shut off call waiting or call forwarding from my line.
I told him I didn't have call waiting or forwarding on that line, and that it was a bare line just for incoming fax and outgoing Internet connections.
He said to do it anyway, just in case.
I asked him what the code was to turn this stuff off, and he said it was in the phone book which numbers to push and whether to use star or pound key.
Well, I looked it up in two different phone books and couldn't find this code numbers or commands.
So, I called the business office to talk to a rep and ask her what these codes were. She said I didn't have this stuff on my line and I said I know but......
I told here this whole story.
Seems I'm paying $34 a month for this line, and I can get this high speed Fiber Optic System connection for $34.95 per month. And that is a no brainer for me......

I will have a small installation fee something like $19.95 for something, not sure what, and I have to sign up for one year, or pay disconnections fees.

But other than that, there isn't much to pay, from what I understand.

I will be canceling one outgoing line but maintain my two incoming lines and both of them will be changed over to the fiber optic system as well.
So the phone company guy was here the other day measuring the length of wire/cable he'll have to install from the street to my office in the garage out back of my mother's house, where the computer is.

On Tuesday the tech will be here to install the final bit and set up my computer for high speed connections.

That's the whole story until later when I'm online with the high speed connections.

Jim Rogers

PS. Also, I asked about this FiOS on another CAD forum and no one has replied as to whether or not they have it. So having a vast membership here I thought I'd ask if anyone on the FF uses it or not and what their experiences have been......

PPS. Thanks for that link Onthesauk, I'll check it out when I have time.....

Jim_Rogers

Ok, well, I'm online now through the fiber optic system.

Seems ok right now.....

I'll let you know, I haven't tried uploading or downloading anything yet.....

Jim Rogers

breederman

We have had it for about a year.  Huge improvement over the dialup that we had. It has only went down once and that was shortly after installation. Speed seems to vary but it is cool to be able to watch vid clips and such.
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!