iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framer Guild Eastern Conference - November 9-12, 2006

Started by submarinesailor, August 25, 2006, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Anyone planning on attending the Timber Framer Guild Eastern Conference in Roanoke, VA, November 9-12, 2006 at the Hotel Roanoke and Conference Center?  I have already registered, making it harder for both bosses to change my mind. ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

logman

I'll be there too, finally will have the time to attend one.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Raphael

This weekend I'm putting in to get that Saturday and Sunday off (I should have time accumulated by then) but we may not make it down if SWMBO can't get Thursday and Friday off.  We only made it to last years Eastern Conference because we'd already arranged our vacation time around that weekend to attend the NYS sheep and wool festival.  SWMBO has to decide in January what two weeks she wants off in the coming year.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jim_Rogers

We should plan a meeting place.....
Maybe at the trade show reception we can meet and talk....
I'll be there with my FF hat on....look for me.....

Jim Rogers

submarinesailor

Jim,

We don't know if we will be staying in Blacksburg, that the daughter's, or in Roanoke itself.  But as it gets a little closed, I'll check around for a meeting place and let "ALL" you guys know.

Bruce

Thehardway

I plan to be there also.  It is 45min drive from my house so I will be commuting.  Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Raphael

Deb got Thursday and Friday off so we'll be there.  8)
  I'll have to take a pass on the pre-conference workshops this year.  We should be arriving sometime late Thursday afternoon and have reservations at Hotel Roanoke.

Which seminars are folks planning on attending?
  My neighbor (and Engineer) is one of the presenters for the 'Design and Engineering track', I'll probably be bouncing between that and 'Shop Practices'.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

HARLEYRIDER

Greenwoods Timberworks

Jim_Rogers

Raphael

I suspect I'll bounce between a couple of tracks over the course of the conference.
I'm pretty sure I'll be at Jim DeStefano's presentation on friday, a rare chance for me to ask him questions without getting a bill.  ;)
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

submarinesailor

Leaving for Roanoke in about an hour.  Hope the rain backs off a little, its' a mess out there right now.

Bruce

Jim_Rogers

I'm here now, and we have great internet access.....

Jim Rogers

Don P

I've just gotten back from the workshop, it was good to meet Bruce and Jim, if only for a short while. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I met Bruce shortly after the lunch break, it was a full conference room. He had met Jim but I hadn't. When the Q&A session started after one speaker, I asked a question about something we had discussed here. One smiling face instantly turned around, I had found Jim  :)
Sure wish I had time to stay for the full conference, actually the way I took out of town, I thought I was going to be there for the whole conference  :D.

HARLEYRIDER

i cant make it this year :(

where is it gonna be next year?
Greenwoods Timberworks

Jim_Rogers

Don_P:
I wish I had known you weren't going to stick around so we could have chatted more....

Harleyrider:
It's going to be at Montibello in Canada where it was before.

Jim Rogers

Don P

I wish I could have stayed longer Jim. I knew it would be tight and had hoped to stay longer and register for the whole conference there. But, our client is coming in for the weekend. Work sure does get in the way  :).

Don P

I'm hoping you guys will post some gleanings from the workshops you attend, I've been thinking of some things I learned.

A 1" oak peg is good for about 1000 lbs in double shear, such as in a mortise and tennon joint.

There was discussion of how to adjust peg spacing using NDS allowable bolt spacing charts. Using the #1000 peg capacity and equating that to a similar capacity bolt. Using the bolt's diameter for edge and end spacing results in equivalent strength surrounding the peg and gets the joint dimensions back to reasonable size.

3/4" gently tapered green pegs seem to work best in drawbored joints, they flex and pull the joint together rather than breaking out the relish on the tennon. Once pegs are driven home, don't hit them again later, this can pop the relish as the now deformed and somewhat set peg moves again.

This pertained to a recent discussion here. U WY has been doing tests in conjuntion with writing language that can be adopted by building codes for timerframe construction. A beam notched partial width and depth in the middle third of span should be designed using the remaining vertical rectangle as the design section. He tested several notched glulams to failure and concluded that the area under the notches does not contribute to the bending strength. He suggested tusk tennons vs the cogged lap joints often used, the mortise is then in the neutral axis of the beam. I'm hoping Jim can contribute more on this.

We had a presentation on the NDS by Buddy Showalter
I asked the question whether the newer shear values that are about double the older values are really safe to use in heavy timber that may be checked. Turns out there was a math error about 30 years ago that they have now corrected. Jim had mentioned this previously. We have been using a safety factor of about 8:1 in shear. The newer numbers correct that and give a more typical 4:1 safety margin. I'll adjust my beam calcs now  :).

The NDS is looking into including TF research into its wood construction details, being code referenced this is probably a good thing. The peg spacing, peg failure characteristics, and beam notching were some things mentioned.

He also talked about probably needing to have timbers graded after all joinery is cut to assure strength of the remanufactured structural timbers.

We had some whirlwind discussions of trusses, most of which is still jellin in my head  :D.

Hope you guys have more to add  :)

Jim_Rogers

The auction just got over.
I don't have my notes here with me but I'll add some more details after I get home.

Don_P, I have those answers you needed and I will PM you later.

I did meet a nice bunch of folks here, and this is a great place to visit.

Jim Rogers

Raphael

SWMBO and I got home from the conference at 8:15(EDT) this evening, almost exactly 9hrs from Roanoke, VA to Warren, CT with off and on rain the whole way.

Don P - Sorry we missed you.

Deb and I arrived around 6:30pm on Thursday, caught up with Jim in the hotel lounge after checking in and submarinesailor Friday morning.

Left to right are myself, submarinesailor, and Jim under the conference banner.

... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Thank You Sponsors!