iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do I need this or What?

Started by PawNature, August 25, 2006, 12:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PawNature

I think this is one of the necessities of life as we get older. Climbing hills, going to the mail box, and the like. Arthritis and all you know. Do you think maby I can write it off as a medical expense? Wiffie Not as enthuastic as I am but she did take a ride.

8)
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Mr Mom

PawNature...Yes...Everyone need somthing like that.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Tom

I'm on your side.   Why, I'd even settle for a golf cart.  :D

crtreedude

We have 3 of them I am not that old (and in truth, I never get to use them)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Onthesauk

I broke down and bought one about 18 months ago, don't know how I ever lived without it.  I've got 40 acres, much of it steep hills and was finding I just couldn't climb as much any more.  I'm probably not in as good shape as I was pre-ATV but sure have accomplished a lot more then I would have otherwise.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

Good color choice ;D
I know 'xactly what you mean, and I couldn't wouldn't do without my Gator. Not as quick as the ATV's but easier to set on, and has a passenger seat, is great for the grandkids, and has a dump box. All come in very handy, but I do think I should be hoofin it more than just ridin. But agree that more is gettin done with it, than without it.
It's loaded now with the chainsaw, gas/oil, chaps, water, matches, pitch fork, and pruning tools to head back to the hickory tree that is still partly in need of burning up. Yesterday the heavy rain put out my fire.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

Wife and I had a small honda rancher, kept it for a year and traded it in on a gator.

We love the gator hpx 4x4
remember man that thy are dust.

CHARLIE

Heck, if Medicare will pay for a scooter for the elderly, I don't see why they wouldn't pay for an ATV for the elderly. Just get your doctor to write you prescription for a green ATV. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

red

I am to cheap to buy a quad

right now I have a Mazda MPV 4wd for off road paid $200 and the A/C works

it is much bigger then a Quad but I like the Gator type idea of sitting behind a wheel

here is another link  for a 10 HP Diesel car project

http://www.utterpower.com/10hp_chevy.htm

Suzuki Samari is another favorite

and of course Jeeps
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Onthesauk

Here's what I use.  I've got a couple of hundred feet of dacron rope and a bunch of pulleys, able to drag logs out of some tough places.  Still looking for a logging arch, although as much hillside as I have I'm not sure an arch would be the safest thing to use.  Do have a small trailer so at least able to haul firewood out.

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ianab

I like the Kawasaki Mule machines, they have a bench seat for 2, roll bar and seatbelts. Easier and safer to drive, especially for the Mrs or grandkids. Will pretty much go anywhere a quad bike will with 4wd and a diff lock. Much better load carrying with the big tray at the back. You can even get a roof and windscreen for those rainy days  ;)

Kawaski Mule Link

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Mooseherder

Ya, Ye need it!
We got 2 Suzuki Vinsons. I even got rid of the Harley because the ATV was more fun.
There are 1500 miles of trails in Maine when on Vacation.
The neat thing about Quads up there is you can ride to town, go to the gas station, the restaurant, from town to town. Just always be careful, especially if riding 2 up.
Don't ask me how I know.
And they pull trees real good too!

SwampDonkey

Well, I'm not ready for one at this stage. But, I was thinking of getting one in the future with some type of arch to skid out wood. We're talking a few years down the road and hopefully we'll still have a forest industry in this province.  ::) I don't have any need for one right now, in fact it would be a hinderance in most cases. We've had skidoos and wheelers around here, but I guess I'm the odd ball 'cause I always prefered to walk, snowshoe or ski.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

I've heard there's a fellow (in GA?) who's importing small used Japanese utility vehicles. A small diesel, 4wd. Supposedly farmers are buying them, cheaper than a mule. Anyone heard of them?

jkj

Whether you "need" it or not might depend on the size of your yard.  With 27 acres here, I use mine every day.  Even though I walk most of the time, those things are indispensible especially when time is short - check the boundry lines, fetch that socket wrench while down at the sawmill, haul a bale of hay up from the barn, cart a load of dirt or rocks, run out in full suit to check the bee hives, back to the shed for another few bags of fertilizer, exercise the dog and goats, stand on the seat and trim branches around the edes of the fields, and carry the chainsaw/fuel/oil/helmet/etc when clearing downed trees.  I even used one last week to pull a heavy brush cutter out of a tight spot after popping a tubess tire off the rim.  We also use them for an occasional recreational outing in the mountains. 

Oh, and the most important use: to take kids for (nice slow) rides around the trails.  The value of this hit home when I took a little 5-year old girl for a ride a few weeks ago.  When we started through the woods she was speechless - she finally said "This is so, so great. I've never seen the inside of a FOREST before."  Priceless!!  Before then I never stopped to think there were kids out there who have never once seen the woods from the inside.

I have three but I'd like to sell one I don't use too often and get a gator or something similar with a bed -two seats and handier than pulling a cart.  (Kubota sells an incredibly nice one with a dump bed but it's kind of pricy.)  Anyone around East TN interested in a well maintained Honda 250 with low miles?

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

scsmith42

Paw, I think that you can make a pretty good case for getting it.

Here on the farm, we have a Polaris Ranger and a 4 x 4.  Resisted buying them for 4 years of operation; now I wish that I'd bit the bullet much earlier.

Most of my work back then was nights and weekends.  After the 4 wheeler and the Ranger joined the fleet, I gained approximately 45 minutes of effective working time each weekend.  This was due to the faster speed that I could traverse the farm (versus the pickup or old GMC Jimmy, or tractor, or walking).  That's a pretty significant gain.

Plus, you have the benefit of towing, pulling, etc.  All in all, a pretty handy tool.

Good luck.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pigman

PawNature, I will disagree with everyone. ;D You do not need that thing. It will waste gasoline. It will cause you to get out of shape. It will cause you to gain weight. At your young age , you need to just walk. To help you out, I will be up your way next week to take that thing off your hands. ;D  I am already out of shape, so it will not harm me. ;)
Bob - your helpful friend
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

PawNature

Quote from: pigman on August 25, 2006, 10:41:56 PM
PawNature, I will disagree with everyone. ;D You do not need that thing. It will waste gasoline. It will cause you to get out of shape. It will cause you to gain weight. At your young age , you need to just walk. To help you out, I will be up your way next week to take that thing off your hands. ;D I am already out of shape, so it will not harm me. ;)
Bob - your helpful friend

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

BBTom

My dad has a Ranger 4 X 4 that he calls " little Burro".  He uses it everyday hauling most anything you can think of.  One day It will go by the sawshed with a load of stones from a field ( tires squatted down real thin) next day he will fly by with a post dragging behind it, or a limb from a tree.  Most of the time there is a chainsaw in the back.  now this may not be very spectacular, except dad is going to be 90 years old next month.  If I have half his spunk at that age, I will be very happy!!!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

PineNut

Never had one until about 5 or 6 years ago. Now don't know how I got along without it. Well a lot of things did not get done. I am still just as active with this machine, just at a greater distance and more work gets done. The best thing I got with it were the baskets. Usually there is a chain saw in the front basket and an ice chest in the rear. (Yes there is an ice chest in this photo, just a little difficult to see.)

beenthere

Yeah, I think I can make out the ice chest, and it's keeping the 30 gal tank of liquid refreshments cool der  ;D

Handy rig.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Hey I developed a hankering for one of them 4X6 gators. Forgot about it when I found out what mr. Deere wants for one. for that kind of money, I can buy a real nice used 4-wheel drive toyota pickup with AIR and HEAT.

Paw, maybew you need one of these.  Sturdy, dependable, real easy to work on.
It was good enough for grandad..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bill

In a former life I saw an income tax return or two and yes I've heard of the IRS choking when the doctor "prescribed" a swimming pool for the nice lady whose joints hurt.

Iffen you're gonna try it I'd get the doc, tax guy, and a lawyer lined up but "why not" ?

Good luck  . . .

SwampDonkey

Met a neighbor and her daughter on a 4 wheeler yesterday while walking up to my woodlot along the main road (dirt). I parked the car about a mile down the road and her daughter said to me 'You walked all the way up here?' (eyes wide open) Yup I said, I do it all the time. ;) They had a 4wheeler as big as it gets, probably cost as much as a Toyota echo. :D Her poor father practically living out of a truck paying for their toys.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

My dad has an artic cat 300 with 50 miles on it he wants to sell for 3k. Might be a little far away to drive though.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!