iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building project

Started by beenthere, August 23, 2006, 01:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Our Lions Club has a "train" with engine built around an old garden tractor, and two-wheel plastic-barrel cars to pull behind for parades and such. Now adding a "caboose" to either add to the train or to pull separately for adults with toddlers that need to be 'held'. The framework was a project of some of the Lions that work at a plastics factory in town and mostly 1" square steel tubing on a small wagon running gear.

Now, to add some wood that will be painted, and frame the windows as well as provide some seats that will face forward and aft. Still need to pick the material, and try to keep it lightweight. It's at about 400# now, but tows easily. Don't think it will work at the end of train where a caboose belongs, as it might pull the trailer 'cars' over when turning.

Here is the framework.

The door is centered on this side. The top half will remain open as 'windows'.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

What a neat project -  As far as weight goes, you could use luan plywood, 1/4", as long as it's going to be painted. Or, if they want it to look old and used, white pine boards, sawn 1/2" thick have very little weight. Much more time to install though. Please do a pic of the finished project -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

tcsmpsi

We have one of those trains, too.  In watching it operate, I kinda lean to the thought the caboose might be a bit controlling at the end, as well.

Good looking idea, beenthere. 

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

jon12345

Paint it camoflauge whenever you get done, then you can haul it out in a field about November  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

CHARLIE

I used to do my paperwork by kerosene lanterns in cabooses and sit in the cupola and watch for hot boxes.  Don't forget the handbrake wheel and release lever on each end by the railing. :) 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

Finished my part of the Caboose project today.

In time for a Santa parade the first of Dec. The bare frame shows up earlier in this thread.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Hey...That turned out pretty DanG good... ;D  ;D  ;D

It amazing what you retired guys can get done.... :D  :D  :D

You gonna play Santa this year BT  ???  smiley_christmas  smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmas ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

mike_van

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Qweaver

Wow! That's very cute.  What kind of wood did you use?
On the following behind problem.  If you get the steering geometry right it will follow right along but maybe not behind the light weight barrel cars.  The biggie in figuring out the steering is to remember that the outside wheel describes a larger arc than the inside wheel.  This is usually fixed by setting the pivot point for the steering rods forward or backward of the ends of the steering arms, depending on where the steering arms are are located.  I know that this explanation is about as clear as mud and maybe someone has already figured it out...but if it dosn't track correctly and you'd like to change it,  I'll be glad to work out the steering geometry for you.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Thank You Sponsors!