iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can't figure it out........

Started by Furby, August 21, 2006, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Was up at the lake this last weekend and there is an area at the edge of town with "men working/cable crossing" signs up.
About every 1/10 of a mile or so there are cables layed out in a North/South direction. Crossing roads, on/off ramps for the highway, swamps, fields and woods. Can't seem to figure out what they are up to.
Anyone happen to know what they might be doing?

Ianab

Siesmic survey.

They lay out a big grid of microphones, then let off some small explosive charges. From the echos that come back they can figure out what the rock structure is like deep underground,  then pick the best place to drill for oil.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

Hmmm.....
Never would have thought of that!

Riles

Remagnitizing the earth. The magnetic north pole keeps moving and this resets it so everybody's compass works right.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

submarinesailor

Furby,

There is a very large oil and natural gas play that extends from the Ottawa/Montreal area over thru New York, Pennsylvania and into Ohio.  They are probably looking for the western edge of this field.  I read an article in one of my trade rags the other day about this play.  A lot of gas, but hard to get out of the rock formations.  New drilling and fracturing technologies are helping.  According to this article, there is a well on the shores of Lake Erie that is drilling side ways under the lake.

Bruce

Percy

Quote from: Riles on August 22, 2006, 04:47:01 AM
Remagnitizing the earth. The magnetic north pole keeps moving and this resets it so everybody's compass works right.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Furby

Yeah, they have been trying to drill sideways under Lake Michigan from an inland location to a field about 2 miles under the lake's bottom if I remember right. Thy have been blocked by special interest groups.
I don't recall a lot of oil wells in this area though, guess I'm gonna have to take a better look in a couple weeks.

Well if this is gonna be the new North Pole, I got Marcel beat by a long shot! ;D

dave7191

Furby are up by the chrystal field that used to be the largest in M i

Jason_WI

There were some idiots trying to drill for oil where I live in WI. All solid limestone. I think all they ever managed to find was more rock and water :D :D

I think WI is the only state in the union that doesn't have some kind of oil/gas/coal reserve. I have never heard of any gas or oil wells in WI.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Furby

Can ya tell me where the crystal field is/was Dave?

dave7191

gartiot and mount calm counties Edmore Alma Mt Pleasaant at least most of it is in thouse two counties I had just remenbered i asked you that question
Dave

Furby

Nope not even close, a fair ways away in Oceana County.

Thank You Sponsors!