iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder Decision

Started by adirondack harvester, August 20, 2006, 06:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondack harvester

I need to harvest 20"-30" white pine so I am looking to purchase a 1970's cable skidder (newer models too expensive) and I was wondering what models to look for and which ones to avoid (if any).  Any suggestions?

tnlogger

bradstr A couple of questions what type of ground, how much timber
and is this cut to sell or for your own use.
That said for a small operation an old Timber Jack would work just fine.
their slow but easy to work on you can get most parts from a junk yard for the tranny most have a 453 Detroit in then so easy parts availably. Most times you can find one in fair shape for around 9to15K.   
gene

adirondack harvester

The area I am cutting has some hills and has few rocks.  I like to do a little cutting each winter to make a few bucks, but my farm tractor is becoming less desirable as the distance increases that I have to skid the wood.

deadeye

bradstr may you would want to look into a log loader trailer. if you already have the farm tractor,  i have a magaco trailer with a 14 ft boom and when i get some distance from my landing i use it. if you got a good road you get about 1500 ft/load.  i too would like a skidder sometimes but money just don't grow on trees

MDP

I don't think there are many models to avoid, just try to avoid the junk out there. You might want to have a heavy machinery mechanic take a look at the machine before making an offer, there are a lot of lilttle things on those machines that can cost a lot of money to fix especially if you don't know where to look or what to look for. Good luck, Mark

thecfarm

deadeye,do you like your Majaco trailer?I looked at them at the Bangor Expo.Seems like the best price there.I would like to have it to haul rocks too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ever Green

I too would like a skidder.  I thought i found one , a TJ 240A.  I talked to the owner and he said someones already  asked about it and said they would give him $19000.00.  Ouch, I was hoping for a great find but thats just too rich for my blood...
Vince

Frickman

I've run many different skidders, my favorite brand is John Deere. Reid Crosby has a thread about my curent skidder and pictures here on the forum. I have run and like the Timberjacks, Franklins, and Tree Farmers too. These are all fairly easy to get parts for. There were some brands made years ago that had short production runs, Athey, Case, etc. I would stay away from them because of parts availabilty. A decent Deere 440 series machine usually goes for $8,000 to $12,000.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

deadeye

the cfarm, i checked out a lot of them and majaco seem to be the best bang for the buck.  they have changed a lot since i bought mine. many improvments were made to the mast and swing mechinism.  all standard fittings and hoses.  i wouldn't log without one. move rocks with it before and goes great.

Sawyerfortyish

Timberjack,Franklin,Johndeere,tree farmer,clark and cat are the name brands anything else walk away.I just bought another Timberjack. I was in the right place at the right time with cash. I bought a 89 Tj 380 grapple for 11500 the owner was very hard up and needed money and there I was. Couple miner repairs and were ready to go.

Ed_K

I have an off brand, its a Taylor. Other than having a skidder frame and arch, everything else is heavy duty truck parts. Easy to work on, but nothing is cheap now a days  ;D.
Ed K

spencerhenry

out here in colorado where most timber cutting has gone by the wayside, skidders are pretty cheap. i have a massey ferguson 220, not many of them around, but i bought it 5 years ago, about 3 years ago i have the center pins replaced. to date i have less than $8000  in it, including a pair of new chains ($1200). i figure at some point the thing will die, or something big that i cant replace will break, at that time i will sell it or part it out, but so far that machine has skid one hell of alot of logs, and paid for itself many times over.

adirondack harvester

Well I just purchased my first skidder yesterday and I can't wait to use it!  It's a JD 440B and has only had two owners.  It was the best condition of all the machines I have looked at by far.  Now I need to get a set of ice chains for the back tires, new seat and change all the fluids.  Any suggestions on where I can get a good price for the chains and/or seat?  Size 18.4-26 tires.

MDP

There is White mountain chain in Bonners Ferry Idaho, they sell all types of skidder chains there at 800-439-9073 or www.whitemountainchain.com. Not sure where your located, you could also check around at equipment dealers in your area, or if there are loggers in your area someone might have a set they want to get rid of, they can get a little pricey when there new.

Good luck with your new skidder, Mark

adirondack harvester

I just had the skidder delivered on Saturday.  Spent most of the day changes fluids, tightening bolts, and power washing.  Found that a motor mount bolt is missing.  Should be fun to put that in.  Another day I guess.  Here's some pics.

I had to try it.  I don't know if you can see it clearly, but behind the skidder is a 25" red oak I pulled out in the darkness Saturday night.  Can't wait to put it to work this winter.

Ed_K

Bradster, why wait for winter? I started cutting w/pine 2 weeks ago. Check the markets tho. Log prices haven't gone up much yet  :(.
Ed K

sprucebunny

Congratulations on the decision, bradstr ;D Good choice. That will probably always be worth whatever you paid for it if you keep it in good shape.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

adirondack harvester

Thanks.  I just have a few more repairs/updates to do and I should be ready to go.  I plan on getting started a little earlier now too. First time ever using or working on this size machine.  Should be an adventure.

Corley5

Good looking machine 8) 8)  I've always heard good things about them.  But have heard they can be a bit tippy ;) :)  Have fun with it and be careful :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Nice skidder. Hope it works well for you. Did you replace the JD5300? 

What happened for the tiny pics?  Your previous ones were good size and easy to view. Just curious.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

adirondack harvester

Yes, I have heard about being a little tippy too and will take it slow until I get used to the machine.  But at least this skidder has 18.4-26 tires so it sits a little lower to the ground than the normal 30 inch rims. 
The JD 5300 is still going to be put to work too.  I plan on using it now for work at the landing or if I have to winch from a long distance.  The skidder only has 60 ft of cable, but the farmi has 160 ft--  may come in handy at times. 
Yeah, the pics were tougher to compress for some reason this time and came out quite small?

Frickman

Congratulations bradstr. You now own the finest logging machine ever put in the woods.  8)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!