www/suite 101.com
                                            Lenny

Lenny

oops try keyword  PINE TREE RIOT WEARE
I`m by far a puter wizz,but I do get arund a bit
                                                    Lenny ???

Jeff

Excuse me for a minute Lenny, and please don't take offense to this. ;D

AOL WILL MAKE YOU A COMPUTOR ILLITERATE ZOMBIE! IF YOU ARE AN AOL USER RUN! RUN! RUN! BEFORE YOU BECOME ONE OF AOL'S STEPFORD WIVES!

AOL Keywords work only with AOL. They are meaningless to us in the real world. Again Lenny, this is not directed at you, I wish to help save your computor illiterate AOL infected soul. RUN RUN! Get a real ISP you guys! Make a choice, use Internet Explorer Or GASP NETSCAPE or OPERA. But make your own choices.

O.K. Enough of AOL Phobia.

I am interested in the Pine Tree Riot thing. What we need though is an internet address starting with http:// :) :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

johnjbc

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Fla._Deadheader

YEAH, SURE, JEFF. SUGAR COAT IT. Don'T tell the poor guy how ya REALLY feel.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

J Beyer

Think that a similar riot would happen if the "environmentalists" tried to shut-down the portable sawmill industry?

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Lenny

No offence taken Jeff ;)
Johnjbe has got it.
 Town historians say there are 2 of these marked trees still in Weare,have never known anyone that knows of their location.personaly I don`t think it is possable ???They would be some big old trees

L. Wakefield

people up here in Maine come up with the same story of those marked trees still being around...I'd be some surprised if it were true...
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Don P

This is the King's Broad Arrow mark, or crows foot, that indicated a tree was crown property, for a white pine that was a straight tree 24" or more dbh. It was first used in about 1330. The mark was also used on artillery pieces to denote not only ownership but also that the piece had been test fired.

Here's a link to a few quotes from a book on the Maine mast trade. As far as I can tell they didn't think much of the kings men taking their trees either.
http://www.davistownmuseum.org/bibMastTrade.htm

And on their lumber trade, including something I just found out...Joseph Peavey invented the Peavey 8)
http://www.davistownmuseum.org/InfoLumbering.html

Tom

Live Oaks in Virginia, N.C.,S.C., Ga. and N.E.Fl. were marked as the kings trees also.  Rumor has it that a marked one can occassionally be found.  Live Oaks were surveyed and marked on a map with descriptions of the curves and bends that could be found in their root crown, forks and limbs.  These were used for specific curves in sailing vessel ribs, etc.

Fla._Deadheader

Our research on the sinker logs indicated that ANY tree,"of good quality" and larger than 24" in dia.,was the property of the king, and the logs were floated to Jacksonville and loaded on ships going back to Europe. It started with the 1st Spanish occupation. We have reports of 10,000 acre and 14,000 acre land grants being given out for Timbering.

Judging from the logs we are finding, them Kings REALLY skimmed the cream from the crop, in Timber and the precious metals from S. America. They got 20% of that too. ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

CHARLIE

England stripped their homeland, Ireland and Scotland of the forest to build ships and for coal to burn. I can't remembe exactly, but when I was in Scotland a few years back, I think I read where it took about 80 acres of forest to build one of the English Navy's big sailing warships. That's a lot of trees. Even today, there aren't many trees over there.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!