iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Road trip to Alaska UPDATE!!!!!

Started by Jason_WI, August 16, 2006, 03:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_WI

On the 25th My Uncle and Aunt, Dad and myself are going to Alaska. We are driving there in a Chevy Avalanche. Going to cross the border somewhere near Bismark ND. My cousin is stationed in Anchorage with the Air Force. He is going moose hunting and we will meet him in Chicken Alaska. From there we are going to Fairbanks. Take a bus tour through Denali national park. Then we will be going to Anchorage. Not sure what we have planned there yet but a one day boat ride to see the glaciers was mentioned. Me and my dad are flying back on Sept 10 from Anchorage back to Green Bay. My Uncle and Aunt are staying in Alaska for another 2 weeks before driving back. Any suggestions as to places to see. The only set date right now is the bus tour through Denali.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

SwampDonkey

I'm not sure weather the ferry still comes down from ALaska to Prince Rupert, BC or not. From there is comes down the inside passage along the BC coast to Vancouver. Might be another route to consider for the return trip with the pickup. I'm not sure the speed of the Alaska Ferry, but the BC Ferry from Prince Rupert south is a fast one.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 16, 2006, 03:55:58 PM
I'm not sure the speed of the Alaska Ferry, but the BC Ferry from Prince Rupert south is a fast one.

If you're thinking of the "Queen of the North", her current speed is zero as she rests on the bottom after running into an island last March.  She has been replaced temporarily by a small boat that is booked quite a few days in advance.

My wife and I rode on the "Queen of the North" last June on our way to Percy's place in Terrace, BC.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

beenthere

Pret near everything, and I mean everything, is designed around you, the tourist. You will not lack for tourist-type things to do, and to see.

Get used to the signs that say "come and see the wild things" and take some time to sort out what you spend your money on while there. Long distances between attractions and towns, so putting on lots of miles and spending lots of time traveling will be part of the fun if you let it be. If you can, get up in the air and fly over some of the most spectacular scenery imaginable. Most of my small plane flight time was over the Islands and water in the southeast inside passageway, and those sights will leave a lasting impact.

Enjoy the trip and hope you take lots of pix, and can post some here.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Quote from: Jason_WI on August 16, 2006, 03:03:44 PM
On the 25th My Uncle and Aunt, Dad and myself are going to Alaska.

I envy you! :-\
Have fun! 8)

Burlkraft

Jason,

Have a great trip. it's one I've always wanted to make ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Bro. Noble

My niece is fixing to marry a pilot with lake clark air.  I think their website is www.lakeclarkair.com. They have a resort and all kinds of photo,  fishing, and hunting packages.  My brother is on his way there to do some hunting.  If you are interested in visiting there,  tell them to ask for Josh,  he is a very nice fellow and will take good care of you.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

pigman

I was in Anchorage Alaska once. 8) I can't help you with sight seeing since I was there for only an hour and they would not let me leave the terminal. :(
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sawguy21

What beenthere said. There will be so much to see two weeks won't be enough. Have fun.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on August 16, 2006, 04:37:31 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 16, 2006, 03:55:58 PM
I'm not sure the speed of the Alaska Ferry, but the BC Ferry from Prince Rupert south is a fast one.

If you're thinking of the "Queen of the North", her current speed is zero as she rests on the bottom after running into an island last March.  She has been replaced temporarily by a small boat that is booked quite a few days in advance.

My wife and I rode on the "Queen of the North" last June on our way to Percy's place in Terrace, BC.  :o

No, that old tub had to be 50 years old. I ran on that several times to the Charlottes. Good place for it on the sea bottom. The one to Vancouver is a bigger faster vessel. I've got a photo someplace as it steamed past our motor yaht. I think the Queen of the North ran to the Charlottes and Alaska. Funny, they haven't replaced it. But, if circumstances are similar as here in the east, they are retiring those old rust buckets and some won't be replaced.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Minnesota_boy

The "Queen of the North" had the run from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy on the north end of Vancouver Island.  The news story said they were looking for a vessel to replace her.

I always found it somewhat amusing that Vancouver doesn't reside on Vancouver Island but not nearly as much as North Bend, Oregon.  North Bend is not north of Bend but actually sowthwest.  About 250 miles southwest by my estimation.  :) :) :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Yes, I just looked at the BC Ferries sight and apprently the 'Queen of the North' was actually a rebadged 'Queen of Surrey'. The boat was formerly the 'Stena Danica', the German-built vessel which joined the BC Ferries fleet in 1974. It was built in 1969. The boat I traveled on and was thinking of I guess was the 'Queen of Prince Rupert', built in 1966. That's a noisy, creepy old scowl. :D

Both ships docked at Prince Rupert. The Queen of the north is on the left.

LINK REMOVED TO OFF SITE PHOTO

Mom and dad were on a ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia, which was fast and alot more modern.

The CAT ferry

Jason_WI

We made it as far as Minot, ND today. I have high speed wireless internet in the super 8 here. Started out at 5:30 AM from Egg Harbor WI. We'll se how far we get tomorrow as we are starting out at 6 am. I don't have many pictures yet except for a super huge shovel working the coal mine on the way to Minot.

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Jason_WI

Made it to Lloydminster, SK lastnight. We hope to make it as far as Fort St John tonight.

Jason

SwampDonkey

AH, your on the YellowHead HWY at the Alberta border. You going to go by Fort McMurray to see the oil sands? They got big machines up there to. It's probably an expensive town, it's in the middle of the big oil boon.

beenthere

Thanks for posting your progress. A little commentary along the way would be good too.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jason_WI

Made it to Fort Nelson, B.C. last night. I can't believe all the wheat that is grown all the wa up to Dawson Creek. Our plan is to drive to Whitehorse b tonight. So far there is high speed intenet acess up here. Not much for trees in this area. They would hardly make a 2x4. This far north a burger and fries at the A&W is $9.00 + tax ::) We saw a refinery fire about 20 min outside of fort Nelson. I have pictures.

I havent had time to compress some of the pictures yet but I plan to post as soon as I can.

Jason

SwampDonkey

Yeah, up in Peace River country they grow over a million acres of wheat.

Sprucegum

HEY! I'm in Lloydminster(Alberta side)  :D

:(  sorry I missed you  :(

You are going to see miles and miles of toothpick trees before you get to the other side of the Yukon.

I hope you stopped at the Laird Hotsprings that was my favorite spot on the trip up 5 years ago.

Enjoy

SwampDonkey

I was trying to figure out where the heck beaver river was.  ::) ;D

SwampDonkey

That's alot of miles between Fort Neilson and Whitehorse. I'm thinking it's a good ride to Watson Lake, let alone Whitehorse, roughly 300 miles and that's half way there. ;) ;D

Jason_WI

Last night we made it as far as Whitehorse. We had a hard time finding hotel rooms as there was some kind of convention going on. We finally found 2 rooms at the bonanza inn on Main St. There wasn't internet at that place but it was a place to sleep.

Today we finally crossed into Alaska today and are staying in Tok it was a shorter ride but was rough and curvey. Tomorrow its on towards Fairbanks.

The roads from Whitehorse to the US border were rough with frost heaves. Avg speed was 50 MPH with streches at 30 MPH. At one spot after Des bay road crews were working on a frost heave section of road. We talked to one of the workers and he mentioned that even after 40 loads of gravel this one section is still sinking. There were delays by destruction bay as there is road work going on to widen the road.

Jason

Paul_H

I'm glad you're keeping us posted.I've never been past Fort Nelson but would really like to see the Yukon one day.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jason_WI

Yesturday we drove from Tok to Fairbanks. We went to the universiy of alaska museum. They have the sates largest display of gold nuggets there. Lots of interesting stuff there. After that we took a tour of the Eldorado Gold mine. That was a tourist trap with the gold mine being the 6 tour buses that came in with 200 people x 30 bux a head. 2 tours a day with 2 groups of 200 people......thats 24k in ticket sales a day. 

We got to pan for gold I got about 3 bux worth. My dad got 5 bux worth.

Today we drove from Fairbanks to Healy which is about 20 minutes from Denali National Park. Tomorrow we go on a 8 hour tour of the park in a bus that leaves at 8AM. I already have over 800 pictures and a few short movies. I am bringing 2 cameras into the park with 2 gig of memory cards so I will have about 600 more from tomorrow.

See if you can spot the Doll Sheep in this picture:

Jason

beenthere

Nice trip.
Thanks for the update. Enjoy the Denali trip tomorrow.

I see the sheep, at least 5 of them.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!